I am looking to buy a mid-level bass in the near future and have a few questions.

1. For someone who isn't going to gig, is it worth $100+ for a neck-through vs a 6-bolt neck?

2. How does Mahogany and Basswood compare? Any woods I should look for or stay away from?

3. What does a pre-amp give me on a bass?

4. Are EMG-HZ and Bartolini MK's the best pups in the $400-$600 price range? Any I should look at or avoid?

5. What is a Thru-Bridge and is it something I should really look at? What other Bass bridges are good in my price range?

6. 34" scale vs 35" scale?

Any other things I should look at? My 1st choice is a Schecter C-4 at the moment.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
neck thru good,mahogany great,pre-amp for active pups(your decision, i personally like them), emg are awesome, thru-bridge routes strings thru the body(i like that too), and 35" gives you a tighter string tension, try a schecter stilleto, love mine more than my soul
Quote by Staz80
I am looking to buy a mid-level bass in the near future and have a few questions.

1. For someone who isn't going to gig, is it worth $100+ for a neck-through vs a 6-bolt neck?

Depends on the bass really.

2. How does Mahogany and Basswood compare? Any woods I should look for or stay away from?

Mahogany is better quality than basswood. Basswood is used on more lowend basses, but really, you need to see for yourself which tones you prefer.

Basically like the EQ on an amp, allowig you to model the sound before the amp.

4. Are EMG-HZ and Bartolini MK's the best pups in the $400-$600 price range? Any I should look at or avoid?

EMG have a good reputation, but i prefer Bartolinis. Again, you need to see what you prefer.

5. What is a Thru-Bridge and is it something I should really look at? What other Bass bridges are good in my price range?

Thru-bridge, means that the string go through the bridge of the bass, giveing better sustain.

Usually, 35 is used on 5 strings to add tension to the low B.

Any other things I should look at? My 1st choice is a Schecter C-4 at the moment.

---
Last edited by Tallman at Oct 26, 2007,

Depends on your budget, details would help.

Bad basswood is horrible, but quality basswood sounds great. Mahagony is a typical wood, sounding kinda like alder.

Basically, it lets you have an EQ right on your bass to change tone easily and provide more versatility.

EMG-HZ is good, not sure about Barts. Some say the EMGs are too aggressive sounding, but its not so bad an EQ cant tame it. I find with EQing the aggressiveness give great character.

Through bridge basically means that when stringing, your strings will go through the end of the bridge. This is as opposed to through body stringing, which results in your strings going through the body of the bass, which gives better sustain. Overall, it isn't the BIGGEST choice you'll make, but it does matter.

Basically scale is the distance from the nut to the saddle of the strings. This means the frets on a 35" will be bigger. The reason for longer scales is that it helps improve tension on lower tuned strings. But if you are staying EADG, there is no point, IMO, to go 35" scale.

I would look at the Stiletto series. I have a studio-4 and it is IMO the best bass in its price range. But, don't be afraid to look at other companies.