I'm seriously tempted...Who here has experience with one? And I get the basics of it...can anybody explain in detail how they work? And do you have any experiece with them?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
beat me to the thread :p

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
But nobody's answering
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
How they work is simple. They take what you play and then they play it back to you instantly over and over. How to work them is difficult. The basics of it aren't however. You basically stomp the pedal to start a recording and then stomp it again to stop the recording, then it plays it back. Different pedals have different controls but the most basic is the single pedal. Click to start click to loop click again to overdub and click twice to stop. The step up from this is the dual pedal configuration, one for starting, stopping, and overdubbing and the other is for stopping the entire thing.

They are quite difficult however, to use in any kind of proficiency. The loops have to be perfect as far as rhythm and harmony goes. This gets very difficult to do even with the handy Loop Quantize function on most loopers.

A great thing about these pedals are homemade chorus. You can click the pedal, play a simple one bar hammer on idea, click, then on the next bar click, and keep playing the bar over and over, no need to click. Due to the Quantizing the looper automatically loops at the end of the bar and you can easily get 12 voice chorusing. Although it's not as easy to chorus as with a chorus pedal, it makes for a very fascinating sound to solo over.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by Flea_Is_God
each time you stomp on it, does it have to be perfectly in time?

Nature of the beast.

I only have experience using one with a guitar, but I think that it COULD get a bit muddy with bass.

For good looping use, check out Ed-Alleyne Johnson on Youtube, a guy I had the pleasure to busk with. He ain't a bassist, but uses damn good looping.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I only have experience using one with a guitar, but I think that it COULD get a bit muddy with bass.

Only if it's all in the same range it's perfectly possible to loop stuff and it doesn't sound muddy, there's always that Manring version of Teen Town which imo is one of the best uses of a loop station.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Just a warning: that Manring video is not achievable by your average Boss Looper. Just so you know. The limitations are just too great.

EDIT: Actually, looking back on it, with some SERIOUS manipulation the RC-50 might reach that capability's. But you wouldn't just be standing there swaying. you would be stomping pedals like mad to try and get that setup.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Just a warning: that Manring video is not achievable by your average Boss Looper. Just so you know. The limitations are just too great.

EDIT: Actually, looking back on it, with some SERIOUS manipulation the RC-50 might reach that capability's. But you wouldn't just be standing there swaying. you would be stomping pedals like mad to try and get that setup.

You can overdub a loop so basically have 2 things on the same phrase patch, looking at the specs on their site, so its fully achievable, but you have to be so tight on the beat to get it right.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
You can overdub a loop so basically have 2 things on the same phrase patch, looking at the specs on their site, so its fully achievable, but you have to be so tight on the beat to get it right.

You can overdub several loops on the same patch. It would still be very difficult to manipulate the different phrasing, and it would be impossible without the RC-50's 3 Phrase controls. And like I said, it wouldn't be just standing there looking pleased with yourself, it would be stomping pedals a mile a minute. But yeah, the rhythm required for that scares me.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You can overdub several loops on the same patch. It would still be very difficult to manipulate the different phrasing, and it would be impossible without the RC-50's 3 Phrase controls. And like I said, it wouldn't be just standing there looking pleased with yourself, it would be stomping pedals a mile a minute. But yeah, the rhythm required for that scares me.

It wouldn't take stomping a mile a minute, he does the sequence a couple of times through before before finishing it and then has a break in between loops.
Founder of Jaco society

I've been thinking of this a lot, right now I just turn the repeat rate on my digital delay waaaay up and have the delay volume match the clean signal volume and set the time to my tempo. I have to keep repeating the bass line, alternating with my melodic lines, it's challanging and fun, but it'd be nice just to lay down a groove and be done with it, also i could experiment more with percusive sounds. Now if the good loopers weren't so expensive.. Not neccessarily for less money, but does anyone know of some that are good (superior?) alternatives to the boss line?
Listening back, maybe not all that much but you would still need to be stomping quite a bit at the beginning and using the phrase selector a few times in there. You must admit though, you couldn't just stand there with a Boss and be all "ladeedaa" you would be working your ass off trying to set it all up. Also, just the sheer monstrosity off what he's doing with that pedal would require such skill... My goal when I get my new one is to be able to set up what he does at the beginning there.

To the guy above me: Nope. They don't exist. The loopers in that range are the Boss RC-2, the Boss RC-20XL, the Boss RC-50, and the Digitech JamMan. The Boss RC-20XL is the exact same as the JamMan. Other than the (unnecessary) 6.5 hour capacity of the JamMan.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Oct 27, 2007,