Does anyone know if Neil Young poked a whole in his speaker to get the sound in hey hey, my my?
If so how exactly would i do this?
i dont know if hhe did , but you'd do it with spmething sharpish
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by t heff
i dont know if hhe did , but you'd do it with spmething sharpish

+1
myspace.com/crystalignition
Quote by wannabebassist2
thanks! silly me, i was gonna try it with the dullest thing i could find

Or you could use a fuzz pedal
I think, what it is, is a cut made with a knife somewhere on the speaker 2" long

I can't remember where i read it now, i'll try and find it
I know that The Kinks' guitarist did it to his amp to get that distorted tone (which I love btw)

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
IDK man i think it sounds alright on the sustained notes but crappy on the powerchord chugging.. In all honesty they poked holes in speakers because there were very few options back then as far as easy/cheap distortion. Nowadays.. might as well use the available technology. If you do decide to try it out.. poke one hole from the front (if you can) with a pencil or pen or something.. id try putting one 4 inches away from the center of a 12 inch speaker or 3 inches on a 10 inch speaker.

As a side note, Neil Youngs tone was a lot to do with his guitar with pickups that are on the verge of constant feedback (unpotted, microphonic and probably would fail gibson's inspection) and a cranked amp.

Good luck.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
what do you mean by unpotted? are you referring to the bypass switch on his guitar? and is far as i know they are both gibson pickups (firebird minihumbucker and p90) or did you just mean compared to todays standards?
i like the way it sounds, i just wanna know if that is what he did?
google pickup potting.. dipping it in paraffin wax helps get the noise out and reduces microphony.. he unpotted them if i remember correctly, abused the hell of out of the guitar.. and hes like hendrix.. his tech couldnt even set him up onstage due to the unruly nature of his rig. I saw CSNY live a year ago at woodstock arts center.. the tech's got a handle on things now.. but wow what a sound!.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
o, i thought you meant pots as in potentiometers, that makes a lot more sense your way

i'm seeing him in december and i can't wait!

and i poked a whole in my speaker about 3 inches in diameter with a pen and it didn't really do anything, good or bad. O well, i gues there's a reason why he's neil young and i'm...not
I'm sure that only one hole wouldn't quite get you the nasty, fuzzy, awesome distorted tone that you need for that stuff. Try more holes.
wait, try something reversible first. Try putting long strips of tape in random places, or tape a torn up piece of paper/tin foil/seran wrap etc. over it or something.
I know Link Wray poked holes throughout his speaker cones with a pencil to get some of his distorted tones.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by wannabebassist2
should i do it from the front of the back?

there's only one cone...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
His deluxe is modded to use 6L6 tubes, and it's always on the verge of blowing up. I can get pretty close to his tone with my Champ, when I boost it with my LPB-1 and my Rangemaster.

Basically, get a tweed deluxe, and feed a very hot signal into it. That'll get you at least 90% there.