I would use it for a couple of games, like Halo 2 and some of the new RTS's that are coming out soon, and I will also be using it for school work, watching videos, and talking to friends. I'll have at least 700, but maybe 800-900. I also might be able to get a discount from my father's work place( he is an instructor at a Carpenters Union, so educational discount) Any recomendations? Is Vista worth Halo 2 and the new games that will be coming out?

EDIT: ALL MONEY IS IN USD
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
if u want a gaming laptop it will cost you alot man, it needs alot of ram, good video card, good processor, a large hard drive

an alienware laptop would be good for you but it will cost you more than 700-800.. save up bro
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
wow.. nvm then. I would take one just for watching videos and getting on the internet. NOt like I don;t have Halo 3 and a 360 =)

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
if u want a gaming laptop it will cost you alot man, it needs alot of ram, good video card, good processor, a large hard drive

an alienware laptop would be A GIGANTIC RIP OFF!!!!

Fix'd, bro

Google for custom laptops. There are plenty of sites out there where you can choose your components and they'll build the laptop for you. It's probably the best option there is for getting a computer other than building it yourself.

Also, if you aren't against doing so, pirate your OS. If you have to buy a new version of vindows if you already have one *nudge nudge* you're obviously wasting money The OS is a suprisingly expensive part of most pre built PCs, it's almost disgusting.
watever you do dont get a acer they suck balls and i personally dont like vista i put linux on my laptop but u cant do any games on it
If I go the custom route, would it be possible to get a decent one for some of the older games, mostly Rome: Total War, for the 700-800$ Or maybe 900$?

Quote by Pinky19
If I go the custom route, would it be possible to get a decent one for some of the older games, mostly Rome: Total War, for the 700-800$ Or maybe 900$?

For sure. These days that shouldn't be asking too much I don't think, but then I dunno how expensive hardware is in the US.

So long as you make sure it has a decent graphics card, rather than onboard graphics, you should be able to run stuff OK.
lol, I dont even know what "good" specs are....

Well that's the point. Expensive hardware is overrated.

Like I said, just ensure it doesn't use "onboard graphics" (anything like "intel eXtreme" graphics - avoid like the plague), and you'll be fine. Look out for something with a gGeForce GO card or something similar.

Doesn't have to be too expensive to run fairly modern games.
Seperate card
1+ gig of ram if you're going down the Vista Route
~2 Ghz Processor
You'll probably want wifi aswell
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
If for memory it says 2048MB DDR2 SDRAM does that mean it only has 2 Gigs of memory, or does the 160Gig harddrive tell you how much stuff it can hold?

get a custom made one, cheaper and better. fuck warrantry.

"Save The Cheerleader, Save The World"
- Hiro Nakamura
DANK MEMES
Quote by Pinky19
If for memory it says 2048MB DDR2 SDRAM does that mean it only has 2 Gigs of memory, or does the 160Gig harddrive tell you how much stuff it can hold?

It's 2gb of system memory, for stuff like playing games and firefox or internet explorer. The 160gb is where all your files are kept like music and videos etc.

It has a great screen for watching films and tv on, and it has a webcam on it for talking to your friends. but th coolest thing is ...the remote! its in th side part an it springs out, so you can control the music from werever you want!
Real men don't need sigs.
Quote by dgervin839
It's 2gb of system memory, for stuff like playing games and firefox or internet explorer. The 160gb is where all your files are kept like music and videos etc.

It has a great screen for watching films and tv on, and it has a webcam on it for talking to your friends. but th coolest thing is ...the remote! its in th side part an it springs out, so you can control the music from werever you want!

so I could have like 80 movies? And I could have 2gigs of stuff running at a time? I think I might get this, if the video card is good, which the way you say it makes it sound good.

please; before you buy anything as (and this is not meant as an insult) you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, check out that site I linked in the first reply. There are faqs there and an entire forum dedicated to helping you pick a laptop.
There are knowledgeable people in the pit, but there are also people who make stuff up a lot of the time.
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by Pinky19
so I could have like 80 movies? And I could have 2gigs of stuff running at a time? I think I might get this, if the video card is good, which the way you say it makes it sound good.

Yea but some memory is taken for vista, an things like programs etc, and game installs, but yea if they were about 700mb each, you could have a lot! The video card is good, I can check what settings I use for Halo 2, but all I know is it looks good an plays good!
Real men don't need sigs.
Quote by purplegreendave
please; before you buy anything as (and this is not meant as an insult) you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, check out that site I linked in the first reply. There are faqs there and an entire forum dedicated to helping you pick a laptop.
There are knowledgeable people in the pit, but there are also people who make stuff up a lot of the time.

lol, yea I don't. Im good with computers, but I don't know anything about specs. I will check that out, so thanks

Quote by leftyrockr
Just a word of advice: DO NOT GET A DELL. They are ****, they are a magnet for any and all viruses, and their customer service is complete crap; just ask the entire state of New York

the type of computer doesnt mean how much viruses they will get

its about what you do on your computer

if i go on warez and torrents and P2P's non stop with no antivirus downloading obvious viruses on my compaq.. it will be a virus magnet too
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
so far Im leaning towards that HP. Any other suggestions?

Quote by Jackintehbox
If you're planning on playing games, it will probably cost much more than that.

get a desktop and for about 900 bucks you can get a good gaming pc, you buy the base pc for about 550 with a good proccesor, and about 200 for a video card, then another gig of ram if it's only 1 gig
I need a laptop, so I can put it in my cluttered room

it's not like a desktop takes up a room, and a little clean up will do you some good.

I paid 16 hundred for my laptop three years ago and it can't even handle wow great, the highest fps I ever saw for that was 18 fps, it's a p4 3 ghz, 1 gig of ram a ati mobility radeon 9700 with 256 video ram, it has a hard time playing wow
Last edited by gagnerants at Oct 26, 2007,
i like the dells....even though i had problems they fixed them....i think they fell like a better quality machine than say hp or anything else
so would that HP be anygood? I like the sound of it quite abit

Dangit.... I read reviews about it and it comes with 64-Bit Vista... They say someprograms won't work on it. Any examples?

Well I'm in the same situation again and that link to the HP no longer works so any new suggestions? I'd prefer it if it didn't have Vista but I guess that is impossible now a days.

Don't listen to all the Vista haters. They formed their opinions based on Window's first release, which had many bugs. I run Vista on my laptop, and I've had no problems with it.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Quote by zackR
Don't listen to all the Vista haters. They formed their opinions based on Window's first release, which had many bugs. I run Vista on my laptop, and I've had no problems with it.

But a lot of programs will not work with Vista, that is my worry.

^ And which programs are those? I've yet to encounter any.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

an alienware laptop would be good for you but it will cost you more than 700-800.. save up bro

alieware are utter ****
here is what i recommend
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9050242&type=product&id=1218012522418
you would be pwning bitches online in no time
not bad for a budget
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by rasveer
alieware are utter ****
here is what i recommend
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9050242&type=product&id=1218012522418
you would be pwning bitches online in no time
not bad for a budget

It's blocked from here. Anyone able to tell me how much it is?