hey guys, new to the forum here :-)

well i started playing guitar a few years ago and quickly dropped it when i couldnt afford lessons, well here i am ready to pick the guitar back up because i have a job and can afford lessons.

i sold my old crappy jackson, and now want to purchase a new guitar, mainly for metal.....one question i have is what are the differences between set,thru,and bolt on necks?? is one better than the other?

what i was thinking about doing is buying an ibanez rg or s series, preferably the cheapest of the series, and later on swapping out the stock Pups for Emg's, would this be as good buying the better of the series??

thank you so much, otniel
1) The main difference between set, thru-neck, and bolt on neck is the heel. Some people will tell you that set necks have more sustain than bolt-ons, but the quality of construction of the joint between the neck and the body is much more important (this myth usually comes from the fact that Les Pauls sustain for longer than Strats... which has to do with Les Pauls having an assload of mahogany and a maple top ). A quality bolt-on and a quality set neck will both sustain very well. Thru-necks have basically no heel at all, so it gives you nice upper fret access and sustain.

2) I wouldn't get the *lowest* of the series and upgrade it; you want to at least get a decent piece of wood and some decent hardware for your guitar first. The Ibanez RG321 would be a nice choice.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
1) The main difference between set, thru-neck, and bolt on neck is the heel. Some people will tell you that set necks have more sustain than bolt-ons, but the quality of construction of the joint between the neck and the body is much more important (this myth usually comes from the fact that Les Pauls sustain for longer than Strats... which has to do with Les Pauls having an assload of mahogany and a maple top ). A quality bolt-on and a quality set neck will both sustain very well. Thru-necks have basically no heel at all, so it gives you nice upper fret access and sustain.

2) I wouldn't get the *lowest* of the series and upgrading it; you want to at least get a decent piece of wood and some decent hardware for your guitar first. The Ibanez RG321 would be a nice choice.

thank you for the fast response!!

yes, im still thinking about which guitar to get, i mean i dont want to get a piece of crap, but also dont want a 2,000 jem just yet.

but i must say, the S series ibanez has an amazing feel to it, id prefer to buy the guitar used seing as i want to spend the least amount of money i can, thanks an keep the suggestions coming!
Quote by otniel01
thank you for the fast response!!

yes, im still thinking about which guitar to get, i mean i dont want to get a piece of crap, but also dont want a 2,000 jem just yet.

but i must say, the S series ibanez has an amazing feel to it, id prefer to buy the guitar used seing as i want to spend the least amount of money i can, thanks an keep the suggestions coming!

oh, and i reccomend an SZ guitar, cuz if you are beggining again, with a trem you will affect your techinique. at beggining, work on your techinique, not on moving a bar.

and marty friedman uses some SZ models now like SZ520, but its almost the same as this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZ320GD-Electric-Guitar?sku=517534
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Oct 26, 2007,