What kind of music does an SG play...im talking about an Epiphone Sg...funds are limited so dont hate.
pretty much any genre really, obviously more rock/hardrock/metal tho, but the epi wont be as good as getting all the genres
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
an sg plays whatever you make it play
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Tony Iommi has a Epi SG, and check out Redsgshredder on youtube if you wanna see an amazing SG player.

I'd say its pretty versatile, but mostly for classic rock, but if you put in other pickups, you'd be able to play pretty much anything.
By itself? Nothing.

However, a great variety of bands/artists of different genres have used it.

Derek Trucks uses his Gibby SG to play slide guitar, blues, and blues rock.
That guy from Switchfoot uses one. So pop rock.
Fall Out Boy's singer uses one. Pop punk.
AC/DC's Angus Young is perhaps it's most famous user. Classic rock and hard blues rock.
Frank Zappa used a guitar that was VERY similiar to a Gibby SG. Progressive and experimental rock.
Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath used one, and a guitar very similar to one. So metal.

There's others, too.

Get the G-400. It's the only good Epiphone SG.
you think the SG Special by epiphone ? or perhaps the lespaul special ?....Whats the difference?
I got one, and they have a reasonably good distorted tone, especially when coupled with a semi-decent amp.

Their clean tones are alright, though there are better for clean for 750-850 bucks (AU).
Oh, yeah? HOW ABOUT I TEAR YOUR SPINE OUT?!

-Gear-
Epiphone G-400 Vintage SG
Marshall MG Series 30DFX.
ESP LTD AX-400 (My baby)
I use mine for rock, blues and shred, but it has recently showed up in a number of metal bands too.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
No guitar can play only certain genres. Although they each have specific tones, no guitar will be able to play only metal or only blues. You can customize a guitar to sound better for a certain genre, but by no means is that the only genre you can play on that guitar.

Besides, the amp is MUCH more important than the guitar. Are you buying your first electric or looking for a new sound?
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
the difference between the special models and the "standard" models, is that the specials are made with less "TLC", it's pretty much all roboticly done and stuff, and all others are a little more "hands on"
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by GoldenTrees
you think the SG Special by epiphone ? or perhaps the lespaul special ?....Whats the difference?

I know one thing they have in common:

They are both horrible.

What's your price range, what amp do you have, and what music do you want to play?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by GoldenTrees
What kind of music does an SG play...

whatever the guitarist plays.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Sg plays rock to heavy metal music like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, you name it. And by the way i also have an epiphone sg, my favorite guitar so far.
Well you can play everything you want... but its not gonna be the same like if you play rock/metal hardcore and stuff.

Your epiphone will play it good if you have good distortion and amps
But if you take an ESP(or LTD) or Ibanez its gonna be better imo.
I wouldn't limit the SG to anything specific, it's essentially the same as a Les Paul, Robbie Krieger of the Doors used his for all kinds of stuff, Derek Trucks uses one for slide blues/jazz hell, even Jimi had one and of course everyone knows they make nice fat sound for rock, or metal, if you're into that sort of thing.........

But just try it with an amp like yours at the store, YOU decide whether the sound is right for you, I don't own one but I've used them before and they sound quite nice to me so.......
Anything you play on it.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
I have a G400 and it is a very versatile guitar. I use it for hard rock like AC/DC because thats just what im into but it can handle metal, punk etc
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
The kind of music you play out of an amp.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by GoldenTrees
What kind of music does an SG play...im talking about an Epiphone Sg...funds are limited so dont hate.

Sometimes mine plays poker when I leave the house. Caught the beyaach yesterday and gave her a lickin'.

Go for a G400, its decent, though a little neck heavy. Try out several, a lot of variations in sound and quality.
If you're lookin' for the SG shape, I'd take a Samick TR1 or TR2 over an Epi G400 anyday (this coming from a person who's first electric was an Epi G400 ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Ain't a thing wrong with Samicks. The few I've played were very nice.
Of course I've probably played more than I know since Samick makes guitars for every manufacturer under the sun.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
the difference between the special models and the "standard" models, is that the specials are made with less "TLC", it's pretty much all roboticly done and stuff, and all others are a little more "hands on"

The higher end Epiphone SGs are a lot better in quality. The specials are pieces of crap, but my G-400 is amazing. I think it might just be the one I got, but I love it more than any Gibson SG I've ever played.

It can play pretty much anything. I do classic rock, hard rock, shred, blues, everything on it, and it all sounds great. I'd recommend getting one, it's really neck heavy though. I have a really smooth strap, so the neck just dives to the floor. I'm really used to it, though, holding onto the neck at all times just comes as a reaction now.