Just wondering the name of this pedal type, think it's delay, but could someone explain the basics?

David Gilmour in concert: He's playing Shine on your Crazy diamond on an acoustic. He strums a chord, hits the pedal and the chord fades into the background (as if a keyboardist had played it and was holding it down).
Marty Friedman, Melodic Control: He plays a couple chords (I suppose recording it on the pedal while doing so), and then uses it to replay the sound (strumming and all), so that he can solo over it.

I just want a pedal that I can have chords replayed to solo over for practise. Don't talk about backing tracks please.
Who reads sigs anyway
The first one is Reverb I think by the sounds of it and the second one is Delay.

Epiphone G-400 Vintage SG
Marshall MG Series 30DFX.
ESP LTD AX-400 (My baby)
second one is a looper, and the first one is a looong reverb or a delay with a ducking effect on it.
Quote by blue_strat
The second one at least sounds like a looper.

Yeah second one your described might be a looping pedal.

As for Gilmour, any sort of delay/ reverb or light echo effect might work.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows