I'm considering buying this guitar, because I really want a new one. I have a Squier Strat right now, and I actually like it (despite the bad reviews) but it has a kink in the neck that causes major fret-out issues above 15. I'd like a real Fender Strat, but I can't afford anything like that right now, so I thought I'd try Ibanez. I play mostly hard rock, so I was looking at Epiphone stuff, but I really want to be able to play Van Halen and stuff, and metal and a lot of that stuff needs a whammy bar (the dive bombs, kickass harmonic stuff, etc.)

So my basic question is whether this guitar is worth my money, whether it will be suited to my play style (hard rock and metal, hopefully some speed stuff too later)

My last concern is the bridge, I love to abuse my whammy bar. If it can't keep in tune it's not gonna work. If it's not the best trem system it's ok, because I'm getting a Floyd Rose for whatever I get (unless it already has one.)
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
It's alright for a beginner's guitar. The whammy doesn't stay in tune that well, but I didn't have too many issues if I was just using it for little wobbles here and there.
You don't want a guitar with an agathis body, plus that trem is not good at all.

Good Floyd Roses are expensive.

Real strats would have similar fret-out issues because they have a round fretboard radius.

What's your price range and what amp do you have?

And for you regular players in the game out there... can you guess what guitar I'm most likely going to suggest to him?

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I would probably just save up. That guitar is not good for divebombs etc. and is about the same quality as your Squier.

EDIT:^Oh! Oh! I bet it is some form of Michael Kelly, Parker, Carvin or Agile.
Last edited by Mwoit at Oct 26, 2007,
My price range is 2-300 hundred dollars. So what do you guys suggest?
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
I'd personally save for the Jackson JS series Dinky which has a locking trem
ohai little sig.
that's probably not a step up from what you have. it may even be a step down. just save more money up
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Floyd Rose DSOT-2

It has a real OFR (as opposed to the flimsy craptastical LFRs that come on guitars anywhere near this price range) and is actually a pretty decent guitar.

That's pretty much your only option for a guitar with a good double-locking trem in this price range.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Hmmm... that Floyd Rose thing is ugly as hell... lol.

What if I didn't care about a trem system? Suggest some stuff that has a hardtail.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Floyd Rose DSOT-2

It has a real OFR (as opposed to the flimsy craptastical LFRs that come on guitars anywhere near this price range) and is actually a pretty decent guitar.

That's pretty much your only option for a guitar with a good double-locking trem in this price range.

Damnit. I did not see that coming.

To TS: Do you have to get a new guitar now? Any guitars at $300 would be a step up from your Squier but from $500 you can get some really good guitars that are a HUGE improvement over your Squier.
I don't really HAVE to get a new guitar, but to get to 500 dollars would take a year or more... and now winter's coming, so I won't make any money til next spring (I mow lawns for money)

Idk, I just want to be able to do a solo without every note fretting out.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Hmmm... that Floyd Rose thing is ugly as hell... lol.

What if I didn't care about a trem system? Suggest some stuff that has a hardtail.

Beggars can't be choosers It looks pretty decent in the white finish IMO, but that's besides the point.

Ibanez RG2EX1

Dean Evo Noir

I'd say one of those.
Quote by utsapp89
I think I'm converted to a hardtail... if I need to play a song that requires a trem system, I could still use the Squier. It's just a little messed up, not unplayable.

I like that Ibanez. What about some of the Epiphone stuff (LPs and SGs) How do those play? I know Zakk Wylde has an LP and he does some crazy stuff.

I guess you don't really even need a trem for kickass squealies, I can always use pinch harmonics.
The Epiphone Zakk Wylde LP is wayyy overpriced. It uses the passive EMG-HZs (bland o riffic) that Zakk *doesn't* use.

I'm not really a big fan of Epiphone guitars in this price range. I owned an Epi G400 as my first guitar, and I can't say that I'd recommend it to anybody.
Quote by utsapp89
Well... turns out I'm not getting a new guitar.

My dad found a car for me for 250 dollars that he says is in good shape (he's a mechanic, he should know.)

I can't pass that car up -- I really need (not want, actually need) a car and both me and my family are strapped for cash.

Although, with a car, I could get a job, which could mean that I could get a guitar... and a good one too.