im saving up my money and i want a high gain amp with decent clean sound, and quick and clear foot switch-ability. the amp gotta be under $2,000. I play all kinds music but more toward to modern heavy stuff. i also like sound of british high gain amps like Orange amps. What amp should i get: Mesa Boogie( rectifiers or stilletos), Orange Amp, Rivera,B-52, Peavey (valve king or 6505) or any other boutique amps.
id get the mesa boogie dual rec or roadster

b-52 is a cheaper alternative of a mesa in my opinion

although the other amps u mentioned could be good too, nothing bad to say about them
Mesa Boogie rectifier.
Xbox 360 Gamertag - TheTacoDoctor
Just send a message saying your from UG.
CoD4 anyone?
6505+ are nice. For $2k you can get a Mesa Road King or Mark IV. those are the best in the market (IMO)
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Hey, I just tried that Peavey Valveking 100 head. It's only $529, and it sounds awesome. LOTS of great-sounding, metallic gain. Totally "enough" for metal. Pair it up with the 4 x 12 cabinet of your choice, and you're DONE—for only about $1,000!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

The 5150/6505 is a really, really heavy amplifier. The gain on the lead chan. makes me think of palm muted, chugging hardcore stuff, like older Norma Jean. www.myspace.com/thechariot

A Mesa Dual Rectifier is a more versatile head. The Mesa tone is unique, it's heavy, but you don't want the gain up to 10. A Dual Rec with the gain at 6 or 7 is perfect sounding, with less 'distortion' than a 5150/6505, but eequally as heavy. The sound is clearer, but more "dirty"... think: www.myspace.com/ivoryline

The Stiletto is my favorite Mesa amplifier. The EL-34 tubes give it a great midrange crunch, and they get really heavy when cranked up. I like them better than the Dual Rectifiers because I like a lot of midrange becuase I play Southern Rock/Metal... The tone is just perfect for stuff like www.myspace.com/openfire

Orange amps are equally amazing. They have less gain than Mesa, but the tone is a little more on the vintage-british side [They're made in England, duh :p] The Rockerverb 100 is my favorite Orange head. This video is a live video recorded out of the soundboard, and you can hear the Orange amp really well during the palm mutes at the beginning of the video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=MVXfeH-3Hp4

Hope I helped a bit!
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Oct 27, 2007,
Well, im not a high gain amp expert by any stretch of the imagination, but i've heard it said numerous times that the Peavey 6505/5150 have really poor cleans. So if that's a priority, i'd probably lean more heavily toward the other options.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Well, im not a high gain amp expert by any stretch of the imagination, but i've heard it said numerous times that the Peavey 6505/5150 have really poor cleans. So if that's a priority, i'd probably lean more heavily toward the other options.

The cleans aren't bad, they just suck compared to Mesa or Orange cleans.

There really isn't anything 'wrong' with the clean chan, it just isn't what the amplifier is made for.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
^Well, that's the point i was getting at. If they suck compared to the other amps being considered, and cleans are a priority, then he probably wants to consider the other amps a little more strongly. Me? I'll stick with my Ampeg. Very fender-y.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Recto and 6505+ cleans aren't that good. Mesa F50 or F100 are great amps, stiletto, and Mark IV.

another option is Laney GH or VH100 or GH50L (depends how much wattage you need)
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
The Mesa Nomad Combos are great as well.

I love the Nomad 100 2x12.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by DOOdooroCK
british high gain amps like Orange amps.

does this exist?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
does this exist?

Um, yes.

Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange AD140TC
Marshall JCM 900
Marshall DSL 100
Marshall TSL 100

Not exactly an Uberschall, but when cranked up you can get some decent gain.

EDIT: And of course, the new Orange "flagship" the Thunderverb or whatever. Never played one of those though.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
so i've heard then...

like much as the DSL100's OD2 channel?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard