So I have an LTD Viper-100FM. Kinda cheap guitar, agathis body, ESP LH-150 pups, bolt-on maple neck, etc., but I love the look and feel, and the unplugged sound is alright. However, my plugged-in sound is kinda muddy, even through a nice amp. I want to buy a better guitar, but I won't have the money for quite a while because my band needs a PA. Would upgrading the pickups (or just the bridge pickup, since I only use the neck for leads and cleans, and it sounds fine for those) improve the sound a lot? I'm looking for something that's great for metal, but also does good old-school hard rock sounds, preferably not active, and less than $100. I don't really want a super-scooped death metal sound, but more of an 80's metal sound, halfway between Randy Rhoads and Metallica, if you know what I mean. I've heard good things about D-Activators...but what is UG's reccomendation? I really don't know much about what different pickups sound like.

And because I know someone will ask, I have a Peavey 6505 2x12 combo.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
You could get 2 Rockfield Mafias for $100.

If you wanna go cheaper, check out the GFS humbuckers.

Pretty decent for the price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
you could get an SD 59' in the neck,and an SD Distortion in the bridge
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

-UG-Sumphead,Miggy01,Bostonrocks

-HC-sdresdre,XMahkaihX,Juan_M,mmcquain,teletaylor,frankiej
He wants to keep the 2 pickups under $100...
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Like I said, I don't really /need/ to replace the neck pup. Woud a JB suit my needs?
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I play Metal and my Jackson has two JB's and they both suit my just fine. If you wanna take it up a notch I guess you can get some active pickups like the EMG 81 on the bridge. DiMarzio has a pickup the replicates the active pickup sound but without needing a continuous battery change.
Quote by Missingno476
Like I said, I don't really /need/ to replace the neck pup. Woud a JB suit my needs?

The JB certainly isn't muddy, quite the opposite in fact. It's a very hot, thin sounding humbucker that I'm not too particularly fond of.

I'd probably take a look at the Rockfield Mafia.
Quote by utsapp89