so long story short my dads getting a check for 13,000 dollars sometime in the next week and were finally gonna buy a new computer that weve been needing desperately. We're looking for a desktop budget is probably 750 max... we are not looking for some super computer, but what i need are some good suggestions on what to look for in a computer and things to avoid

EDIT: i should say im not computer illiterate, i know what the parts of a computer do id just like some input from some people who might be a bit more enlightened on the subject
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Last edited by C.C. Deville at Oct 26, 2007,
Toshiba/Compaq/Acer are out of the question. Very unreliable and a lot of compatibility issues. Dell isn't bad, Gateway doesn't suck. Sony is pretty big, never had a problem with them.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Some things to look for are dual core processors. good memory; a gig or more. decent graphics card (but that's easily upgradeable), big hard drive, but again, you can buy your own external.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by Mark-O1987666
Build your own...13k, that's a nice sum of dollah..

haha were not spending it all on a computer O_O we have a house and cars and a family to feed and bills to pay, were just getting some new toys a computer, 40" plasma tv, and all of us are getting new cell phones
New MOBILE phones are a yearly thing for me ha A fourty inch TV would be nice though, is it High Definition? And do you fancy lending me a couple k to pay off my car loan?
Quote by Mark-O1987666
New MOBILE phones are a yearly thing for me ha A fourty inch TV would be nice though, is it High Definition? And do you fancy lending me a couple k to pay off my car loan?

we are still researching the tv's and all that, and yeah we are switching services cause this year my parents contract with sprint ends and we are switching to a family plan on verizon wireless =D
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
^nah i dont really like macs haha...
any other suggestions?
Mac, dell, HP, sony(over priced)

things to look for BIG hard drive, atleast 1 gig of ram, any dual core proccessor, and nowaday all computers have PCI express x16 so later on you can add a video card for gaming, and if you have wireless in your home the wireless card
what would be the point in a wireless card if this is gonna be the computer connected to the router? lol however i might end up buying a wireless card for the computer i currently have thats going upstairs when we get the new one
Quote by C.C. Deville
^nah i dont really like macs haha...

are you kidding me?
well

then obviously
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
only get the wireless card only if you already have the wireless router, if you don't skip the wireless card =)

also ps do give macs a try and not the school ones, actually go to a mac store or a store that has one you can try, before I hated mac's and now I only use mac's and linux
i do have a wireless router i rly only use it for online gaming with my psp