ok i was playing with lots of distortion at a low volume... it sounded good.. i turned it up.. its sounded bad lol... does tone get affected by volume? (also i have a solid state amp and i was playing on clean channel thru distortion pedal)
Well, you just found out that it does by simply turning it up.

Depends on the equipment on how it's going to sound. Usually with solid state amps, pumping the volume up ends up sounding really bad.... Whereas on tube amps, you WANT to turn it up.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^ I wouldn't say that tube amps sound better, Just that they get overdrive.
Yes, tone can be affected by volume.

Sometimes, the distortion level will overpower the volume level, and it'll give you either a horrible scratchy sound, or else a nice fuzzy overdriven sound. Usually at lower volumes, you won't notice differences in tone when changing pickups.

Now, when you get to crankin that baby, that's a different story...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Well. If the volumn is TOO low. It sounds bad as well.

SS amp usually sounds the best at round about 10 - 12 o'clock position.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

well if youre talking about the colume on your guitar, if you turn it down, then you will not get as much distortion, but if your talking about your amp, you will be able to hear your amps weaknesses.
Quote by Zofar

at higher levels they do. some SS sound better at low volumes. please pay attention.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Most modern-designed tube amps sound good no matter what the volume. That said, they get better with volume as the tubes begin to overdrive naturally, and that is tastiest tone ever.
Also, how we hear changes with volume. We hear more treble, for instance, at higher volumes. But yeah, solid state amps clip at high volumes, sounding awful.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Zofar

*sigh*

So many uninformed metalheads out there.

A cranked tube amp will sound better than any solid state amp. The tone IS better.

All those solid state amplifiers you play are trying to imitate the tone tube amplfiers supply when cranked, with digital manipulation. Nothing beats the original.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
*sigh*

So many uninformed metalheads out there.

A cranked tube amp will sound better than any solid state amp. The tone IS better.

All those solid state amplifiers you play are trying to imitate the tone tube amplfiers supply when cranked, with digital manipulation. Nothing beats the original.

That is dependent on the amp in question. A crap tube amp will sound horrible at any volume when compared to something like a Line6 Vetta. It's all apples and oranges, but in certain situations, apples are far better than oranges. But in most situations, you want a screaming, glowing, balls to the wall cranked up orange.

As far as the original question, your volume levels mostly affect your perception of the middle-range frequencies. The more volume, the more middle you need as the bass and treble tend to overwhelm the sound spectrum.
^ +1
^^ tone's subjective, don't be so caught up in an elitist state of thought.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008