I just have a few quuestions. There are seven modes right (Lydian, Aeolian etc.). How exactly does that help when learning a scale on guitar?

And do you think someone could give me a link or something to all the keys modes? tabs or something?
Quote by alimark12
what is "rtfs" ?

It means Read The F-Word sticky.
Clicking on that link will take you to the MT FAQ Sticky, where are some really informative theory lessons
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
modes are a "sub scale" so if u have a "A maj" (A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G#) it would just mean u start and end on a different note ill do a lesson by tomorow.
Quote by killtrend
modes are a "sub scale" so if u have a "A maj" (A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G#) it would just mean u start and end on a different note ill do a lesson by tomorow.

Please do not write that lesson if you are going to say a mode is just starting a scale on a different note. That's what leads to people not understanding how to use modes. They think they can play F lydian over a C chord to get a different sound, when all they are doing is playing the same old C major.

STANDARD RESPONSE TO MODES THREADS FOLLOWS

Okay, a mode of the major scale contains the same notes as the major scale, but the root is a different note. This is just explaining where modes come from, but I don't think of them like this when actually using them.
D Ionian (major) is D E F# G A B C#
E Dorian (second mode) is E F# G A B C# D
A mixolydian (fifth mode) is A B C# D E F# G
They contain the same notes but start on different root notes.

So, they contain the same notes but they are definately different scales. I think of modes as alterations to the major scale.
Ionian (Major) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian (Natural Minor) 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

So, for F Phrygian you start with the F major scale, F G A Bb C D E
Then flatten the 2 3 6 and 7 to get 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
And you end up with the notes F Gb Ab Bb C Db Eb.

Now, when playing modes over chords, look at the intervals making up the chord and the intervals making up the mode. If they match up, they will sound good together.
Say a Cm chord comes up, thats 1 b3 5. Look at the modes and you see that Dorian, Phrygian and Aeolian all contain those intervals.
So you could play C Dorian, C Phrygian or C Aeolian, which one you chose will give a different feel.
Now if an Amaj7 comes along, thats 1 3 5 7. Compare that to the modes and you see that you can play A Ionian or A Lydian, againg giving different feels.
What about a Bbm7b5? You see that the only mode with 1 b3 b5 b7 is Locrian, so you can play Bb Locrian
With an E7 (1 3 5 b7) you find that only Mixolydian fits, so you can play E mixolydian

JohnlJones Jazz-Theory Bit:
With that E7 you could play E Phrygian, with the b3 funtioning as a #2, to outline an altered dominant chord.
E7 - 1 3 4 b7
E Phrygian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
This gives the intervals 1 b2 #2 3 4 5 b6 b7 which is a _11b9#9b13 chord.

Remember none of this is law, it's just a guide so don't be afraid to experiment.
Hope this helps

The way to use modes and get their different sounds is to think of the intervals it is made up of. Phrygian has a b2, a dark, dissononant interval. Lydian has a #4, which sounds... I dunno how to describe it but it sounds cool. Mixolydian is like the major scale but has a b7, making it bluesy and dominant.

Just drone the low E string, keep it ringing (clean setting works best). Then on the remaining five stings, play E Phrygian, E lydian, E Aeloian, E Ionian etc. and emphasise the unique intervals in each. Really listen to each scales' characteristics. Try making a melody from each mode while droning the E string.

Once you have done this, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWHKeC4IEgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGQ9yHOyZQ
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by killtrend

Don't do the lesson.
Read the Prime's post. And read the sticky.

Don't try to teach someone on something you don't know 100%.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
Don't do the lesson.
Read the Prime's post. And read the sticky.

Don't try to teach someone on something you don't know 100%.

i know evry mode and i guess i see your point on the cord thing but you understand what i meant by sub scale or scale within a scale?
major is set up w-w-h-w-w-w-h, then u want to start in the second mode. move the first invertal (step) to the end resulting in phrigain. and i dident mean to confuse any one you cant play a cord over any old mode they need to be relivent i.e. A and F#

P.S. im not a noob so dont get the wrong impresion
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Please do not write that lesson if you are going to say a mode is just starting a scale on a different note. That's what leads to people not understanding how to use modes. They think they can play F lydian over a C chord to get a different sound, when all they are doing is playing the same old C major.

STANDARD RESPONSE TO MODES THREADS FOLLOWS

Okay, a mode of the major scale contains the same notes as the major scale, but the root is a different note. This is just explaining where modes come from, but I don't think of them like this when actually using them.
D Ionian (major) is D E F# G A B C#
E Dorian (second mode) is E F# G A B C# D
A mixolydian (fifth mode) is A B C# D E F# G
They contain the same notes but start on different root notes.

So, they contain the same notes but they are definately different scales. I think of modes as alterations to the major scale.
Ionian (Major) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian (Natural Minor) 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

So, for F Phrygian you start with the F major scale, F G A Bb C D E
Then flatten the 2 3 6 and 7 to get 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
And you end up with the notes F Gb Ab Bb C Db Eb.

Now, when playing modes over chords, look at the intervals making up the chord and the intervals making up the mode. If they match up, they will sound good together.
Say a Cm chord comes up, thats 1 b3 5. Look at the modes and you see that Dorian, Phrygian and Aeolian all contain those intervals.
So you could play C Dorian, C Phrygian or C Aeolian, which one you chose will give a different feel.
Now if an Amaj7 comes along, thats 1 3 5 7. Compare that to the modes and you see that you can play A Ionian or A Lydian, againg giving different feels.
What about a Bbm7b5? You see that the only mode with 1 b3 b5 b7 is Locrian, so you can play Bb Locrian
With an E7 (1 3 5 b7) you find that only Mixolydian fits, so you can play E mixolydian

JohnlJones Jazz-Theory Bit:
With that E7 you could play E Phrygian, with the b3 funtioning as a #2, to outline an altered dominant chord.
E7 - 1 3 4 b7
E Phrygian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
This gives the intervals 1 b2 #2 3 4 5 b6 b7 which is a _11b9#9b13 chord.

Remember none of this is law, it's just a guide so don't be afraid to experiment.
Hope this helps

The way to use modes and get their different sounds is to think of the intervals it is made up of. Phrygian has a b2, a dark, dissononant interval. Lydian has a #4, which sounds... I dunno how to describe it but it sounds cool. Mixolydian is like the major scale but has a b7, making it bluesy and dominant.

Just drone the low E string, keep it ringing (clean setting works best). Then on the remaining five stings, play E Phrygian, E lydian, E Aeloian, E Ionian etc. and emphasise the unique intervals in each. Really listen to each scales' characteristics. Try making a melody from each mode while droning the E string.

Once you have done this, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWHKeC4IEgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGQ9yHOyZQ

you now what f**k you stop doing great lessons you f**ker, god jk. thanks for clearing that up again i dident mean to confuse anyone
yeah always think of modes as seperate scales, your first mode you come across is the natural minor(i.e Aeolian ). nowyou hear people ask "how do i know if it's in Am or Cmaj?" it's because of the chords!! i'll say it again it's the chords. you won'y get E phrygian if you don't play Emin, Emin7, or SUSb9 chord. so your modes only come out over chords.
Quote by killtrend
i know evry mode and i guess i see your point on the cord thing but you understand what i meant by sub scale or scale within a scale?
major is set up w-w-h-w-w-w-h, then u want to start in the second mode. move the first invertal (step) to the end resulting in phrigain. and i dident mean to confuse any one you cant play a cord over any old mode they need to be relivent i.e. A and F#

P.S. im not a noob so dont get the wrong impresion

Great, now when you know modes, learn some proper grammar!

You didn't explain nothing with that post of yours...
It's really hard to read and short... no one will learn something out of it.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
Great, now when you know modes, learn some proper grammar!

You didn't explain nothing with that post of yours...
It's really hard to read and short... no one will learn something out of it.
No one will learn ANYTHING (not something) out of it.

To over-simplify what people in this thread have said: The chord makes the mode
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
No one will learn ANYTHING (not something) out of it.

To over-simplify what people in this thread have said: The chord makes the mode

I know Croatian grammar perfectly.

But I can make a mistake on English from time to time.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by hippie_cune
phrygian is the 3rd

please no one listen to killtrend

all right thanks douchbag. go choke, and yes phrygian (A,Bb,C,D,E,F,G) is the third now get an original name XD sorry for confusing evryone usualy im more talented than thery based and should have made sure. all right, settled? good now just shut up about it. omfg.