Okay, I've made the decision to go with a Pacifica 112v, but before I pull the trigger, I'd like to know what else is needed, and how many.

1. I guess I'll need at least one pair of cable, and I've decided to go with a 5 feet Planet Wave Classics. Do I need more than one pair? [my sound card has a line-in for guitars].

2. I'll need a tuner, and those are my choices but I don't know where to begin. I'd rather keep it under £15 unless there is a very good reason to go for the Planet Waves Universal Chromatic Tuner (anything above is out of my price range).

3. I've also got a range of plectrums to choose from, I don't expect much difference in quality, but are some better than others? And Do I need to get one of each size?

What other purchase would I benefit from? Cheap strap? Cheap case to keep the dust off? Or am I pretty much good to go? [those little things actually add to the cost]

Cheers.
1. Eventually you need an amp, but i guess comp will do for beginning, one chord will do for this.

2. any tuner will do as a beginner.

3. Call them picks, not plectrums. Not too much of a difference in quality, especially when your learning, just pick a preference in the thickness you use
a case is good, a strap too

as for tuners...
i'd get the korg one, that'll do the job fine
cables? one for between guitar and amp, and one for between effects pedals/computers
don't use effects pedals? get it anyway lol
erm
plectrums...
gibson or tortex, i've used those two.
for tortex, the orange/medium ones (get medium ones, unless you know u want thicker/thinner) buy maybe 10, and stash the spare ones somewhere. that'll last you for ages! or it would me
gibson ones, u want the standard medium ones
pretty much same as the orange tortex ones, but easier to loose, cus they're not ORANGE [=
they used to do a teardrop shape, that was perfect, but they stopped, the idoits. so, if you feel the plectrum is too big, have a look for a teardrop shaped one and cut your standard ones down to the same size/shape
(Y)
Quote by martyr1130
1. Eventually you need an amp, but i guess comp will do for beginning, one chord will do for this.

2. any tuner will do as a beginner.

3. Call them picks, not plectrums. Not too much of a difference in quality, especially when your learning, just pick a preference in the thickness you use

A computer will do it?How?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
DUDE LEARN TO TUNE YOUR GUITAR BY EAR JUST GET A PITCH FORK!!! or a set of pitch pipes so u can tune ur guitar by ear trust me it will be better in the long run! and also u'll need a case! and an amp computer is a ****King waste of time lol just pick up a little 10 watt practise amp, like a cheap ashton! just to get u started dude
Picks
Tuner
Metronome (it will help a lot!)
Strap
Wire Cutters (for when you change strings! Like totally important this is )
Quote by screamodream
DUDE LEARN TO TUNE YOUR GUITAR BY EAR JUST GET A PITCH FORK!!! or a set of pitch pipes so u can tune ur guitar by ear trust me it will be better in the long run! and also u'll need a case! and an amp computer is a ****King waste of time lol just pick up a little 10 watt practise amp, like a cheap ashton! just to get u started dude

Ignorance is bliss. Alot of people don't have the ear to tune.

Any tuner works.

One cable will be enough, but make sure its long enough.

If you must, your computer will work. Theres some cool amp simulation software on the market. But there are some good amps for around $100 that would work better.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Would any wire cutters found on Ebay do? Or are there specifically made for guitar strongs?
Also on Ebay are tuner&metronome-in-1 that are a lot cheaper than Planet Waves (£15 vs £30+). Are they usable or a waste of money? Cheers, thanks for all the replies so far.
Quote by AxBattler
Would any wire cutters found on Ebay do? Or are there specifically made for guitar strongs?
Also on Ebay are tuner&metronome-in-1 that are a lot cheaper than Planet Waves (£15 vs £30+). Are they usable or a waste of money? Cheers, thanks for all the replies so far.

-Any wire cutter will do; Planet Waves and other guitar accessory companies make wire cutters, but any small cutter (just go to your local hardware shop) is fine.

-Some tuners are better than others, hence the difference in price. You shouldn't have to spend a fortune on a good one, but if they're incredibly cheap that's probably a sign the quality isn't that great.

-Also, get a few different pics. Just ask for a small selection of different sizes when you buy the guitar. If you have a bunch of different ones you'll find out what size or material you like best.

-And finally, get yourself a spare set of strings.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
definately a korg tuner, i have 1 but dunno the name, iv had it for nearly a year which is when i started playing and its perfect for me. however it is good to try learning how to tune by ear too just incase your tuner isnt accessible.
an amp would be advised but if u dont have the budget and therefore plan on playing through the computer then yeah 1 lead will be fine although id recommend a 10ft lead instead of 5ft.
i myself prefer thicker picks, i have like 7 Dunlop picks that are all 2mm, but u should try out quite a few different sizes/thickness'. theyre well cheap anyway so u could buy alot.
an extra set of strings just incase u snap 1
i didnt bother with a strap till later cos i didnt plan on standin much.
if u dont have a clear space for your guitar (mines r on the wall) or u plan on carrying it around alot then yes it would be better to get a case.
and finally a book/doovde to teach u some of the basics
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Whenever i get a new guitar, i "always" invest in a pair of strap locks, worth every penny IMO.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Whenever i get a new guitar, i "always" invest in a pair of strap locks, worth every penny IMO.

+1 to that.

Although it's a hell of a nerve-racking experience having to drill a screw into your lovely new guitar.

But it's damn well worth it.

"Give it some soul"

Member #4 of the "I practise guitar late at night" club