ermm.. i'm not new to guitar or anything, but i've never actually adjusted a truss rod before.
i have an Epi G-400 Custom, and it NORMALLY has amazing fret action.
but, recently, i've been using 12's, and the D and G string are buzzing on the 7th fret.
i've adjusted the bridge, saddles, everything but the buzz is still ALWAYS there.
i'm hoping it's just the truss rod loosened a bit, since i've had the guitar for about 6 months, and i play about an hour total every day.

HELP.
the truss rod can do it, but whenever i've read/spoken about it, people have warned me it is a big risk to adjust it if you don't know what you're doing.
for me, action is set through the locking nut, and through the alignment of the tremolo.
i dunno how it's done on a hardtail though
thread starter,

fret the Low E at the first fret, at the same time
fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you have too much bend.

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
foob. i need you to tell me what the results are, so i can tell you what to do next.

i cant tell you what to do, until i find out what needs to be done.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I also have this, I did what you said, the strings were on the fret-wire, would you mind telling me what to do =]?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
My advice: don't do it yourself, I've been told that a truss rod barely ever needs to be changed and I'm fair sure a guitar tech could set your geet up for heavier strings better than most could.
Adjusting it is not that hard, just make sure you do it GRADUALLY. Adjust it a tiny bit in one direction, wait a few hours, then if it's still off, adjust it a tiny bit more and repeat the process.

For instructions, there's sites out there on the Internet that can teach you how. Either google it, or maybe someone who knows of a good site will post a link for you.
Yeah just take an allen wrench and adjust it left or right, you'll see. Also, you could try filing the frets down.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
ok dont touch ur frets. and dont tell someone to adjust it to the left or to the right.
if u arent sure how to adjust a truss rod, you shouldnt post in this type of thread.

FNAFJ : if when you measure, you find that the string lays on the fretwire, and u've already tried adjusting ur action at the saddles / bridge. but cant seem to get low enough action, without buzz, then...

you dont have enough gap.

so you will want to detune a bit and using the correct sized wrench, turn ur truss rod in a COUNTER clockwise direction. 1/8". that's a very small amount.
turn it that amount and then leave the guitar for an hour. then retune it, and remeasure.

if it still lays on the wire there, detune and then another 1/8" turn.

a truss rod adjustment can take all night to get right, so dont rush it.
dont force a turn.

repost if you have questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 29, 2007,
blimey i did exactly what you have described and left it overnight when i did mine some year ago, i was too afraid to adjust after such a short amount time