Hey, this MAY be in the wrong forum, but I apologize if it is.
Anyhow, i'm going to start teaching a few beginning guitarists.
They're highschoolers, and I was wondering if I should start them out with acoustic or electric guitar? I'm alot better at electric, and I was going to teach them scales before chords.
And also, what would be a decent price for an hour of teaching for each person?
I don't want to overcharge, but I don't want to do slave wages.
They're just friends, and I really don't need cash, but I could use it for..... guitar stuff.

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
if they play folksie/classic acoustic, start them on acoustic.

if they play metal, they will learn faster if they are started playing on electric.

do you live in the states?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
id say that if theyre in high school then start them on electric, but just clean for scales. and im in australia and i used to pay $28 for a half hour lesson i think, maybe that was for 2, i cant really remember, so for mates rates, probably about 15-20.
25 bucks an hour, If you go to them, or less if its more tthan 1 ata time, acoustic is always good, cheaper and more room to upgrade; also teaches them proper technique, some people just get by on tapping and stuff and don't learn proper playing.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Well, I was thinking of starting them out with electric. Maybe a Vintage modified squier (it has alnico pups), and a champ 600. That way, they sound good and they're encouraged to play more. With acoustic, I dunno, since they'll probably end up playing electric anyways, I thought i'd save them cash and just get them started on electric.
More opinions?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well it all depends, are the people your gonna teach have their own guitar?Or are you gonna have the guitars?

If the person likes more acoustic oriented songs an genres, then have them start on acoustic.
If someone likes heavier rock and metal let them start with electric.

Both are good, it just has to suite the student, if a kid who likes GnR starts on an acoustic chances are he'll lose interest fast, so better for him to start with electric and vice versa for acoustic players.

Also if a person is in between electric might be better, cause the strings are easier to fret and the necks are usually smaller. So it'll be a bit easier for the beginner to play. This way they may be less likely to become discouraged.

Just some stuff to consider, also if your gonna provide the guitar. Will the person take it home with them? I'm just saying cause if they don't have their own guitar to practice on during the week, lessons won't be much help.

As for a fee $50 a month sounds pretty good, if they're friends and all.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 26, 2007,
^They'll buy their own.
I'm a major gear-junkie, so I thought i'd be able to guide them to the right gear.
I don't trust salesmen, they try to sell you MG's and stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Haha true, well as I previously said.

With electric and acoustic one's not necessarily better than the other, there are a number of things to consider. Like what the student will enjoy playing more. Also which guitar would help them learn better.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows