tomorrow i'm gonna buy an xbox 360
does anyone know how long the ethernet cable that comes with it is?
and do i have to plug that straight to my router or can i use it through a laptop?
or should I just go ahead and buy the wireless network adapter?

thanks in advance
Its not that long, maybe 10 feet at most, unless your router is in the same room as you X-box get a longer cable.

There is a way to go through your laptop to your router, but I am not exactly sure how to do this.
wireless adapter is good, but for 100$(same price) you could get a generic adapter that goes into the 360's ethernet port and would work for PS2, PS3, anything. What I bought. LInksys is a good brand.

EDIT: For running through your laptop, if your not lazy go to w w w.modz.us and sign-up and ask them. THey are really good at this stuff. ALso with photoshop and Halo2 and 3 modding
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
What Captain Insano said.

And I'd like to add that you shouldn't use a wireless connection because they tend to lag. A lot.
Quote by hardrock1315
What Captain Insano said.

And I'd like to add that you shouldn't use a wireless connection because they tend to lag. A lot.

Whatever

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

yeah i've heard that they lag
but my room is upstairs and that's where i'm gonna put my xbox but my router is downstairs and it's gonna take a really long cable to get from my room to downstairs

it'd really help if I could just run it through my laptop somehow
what i did was i just disconnected my internet from my compuiter and hooked it up to my xbox. but it was a lot of hard work, so i searched on bestbuy and they have this ethernet cable that's like around 7.5 meters, like 25 feet or soemthing i dono. it was like 12 dollars and it says on the dscription "especially designed for xbox 360 " so u should prbly get that. it works good and it's long, cuz my comps connected to my router on one side of the living room and the tv's all the way over there so u need to buy a new one. and it's way cheaper than a hundred dollar wireless thingy that prbly messes up more cuz u have to get signals and stuff.
Quote by not Jason
yeah i've heard that they lag
but my room is upstairs and that's where i'm gonna put my xbox but my router is downstairs and it's gonna take a really long cable to get from my room to downstairs

it'd really help if I could just run it through my laptop somehow

Mistake. Wireless signals travel downwards, putting your router up high should give you a bigger wireless range, and improve connection quality.
laptop would add a lot of lag. AND WIRLESS ADAPTERS DON'T LAG IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT ONES!! The right ones NOT being the 360 specific ones. Go to a store and look for Linksys wireless gaming adapter for around 100$ I am like 200ft away and get no lag. BUT there is a new se out that has TWICE the range and power as the one I have, so go ask for it.

Quote by Pinky19
laptop would add a lot of lag. AND WIRLESS ADAPTERS DON'T LAG IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT ONES!! The right ones NOT being the 360 specific ones. Go to a store and look for Linksys wireless gaming adapter for around 100$ I am like 200ft away and get no lag. BUT there is a new se out that has TWICE the range and power as the one I have, so go ask for it.

a wireless adapter would be easiest and I don't THINK it would lag too bad because my laptop gets internet through wireless thing and it never messes up
but can you send a link of the exact adapter that you're talking about?
thanks
Another Option

50 feet of Cable

100 feet of Cable

If you know where to look you can get cable cheap, I actually have a 50 ft cable stapled to the side of my house for my xbl connection.

Its cheaper than the Wireless adaptor.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 26, 2007,
the wireless one never lags at all really, its damn near perfect, oh and it looks really slick

its real easy to set up with it also, and your NAT type is always open (what this does it makes matchmaking in game like halo3 and a whoooole ****load faster)

i had a wireless B for the first year the 360 came out, 6 months ago i got the wireless, and its worth the extra few dolars