hi guys i lately have been trying to do really fast,, trivium style, metal solo's however im having trouble with the really fast alternate picking!!! do any of you guys no anyway that i can get better at this?????

cheers dudes
Um, i'm no expert but i started to pick faster by achoring on the bridge instead of my pinky and holding my pick at 45 degrees to attack the string
practice a ****load. there's no secret to learning to alternate pick, just like any other technique.
Theres no magic trick to getting fast at alternate picking. Just practice with a metronome and work your way up.
Oh, those guys above are right, took me 5 months before i could pick somewhat fast.....
pick down...then pick up....then pick down again...then up!!! on a more serious note though, theres no real magic way, just keep practicing different patterns with a metronome (preferably patterns that use 3+ strings)
Alternate Picking 101

Step 1: Strum down
Step 2: Strum up

Repeat as necessary

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
im kinda having the same problem...
like 2 months ago when i wanted to learn black star, i had never used true alternate picking...
and then i just wanked for a long time, until i could hit the notes individually, not just crazily picking...and im still having trouble with switching strings yet...
Keep determined...thats what i need to do, lol
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I just checked. The heel of my palm rests on the top edge of my bridge and humbucker on my HSS Strat, and acts as the fulcrum.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

thanks for the tips lol i can do it relatively fast going up and down the neck on one string but i seem to loose it when i try and do multiple strings! GRR lol so yeh i guess practise is the key ingredient here!

anywho thanks!
play less guitar hero....

there was a short period of time where i played guitar hero with friends because they insisted, after the summer i got a new guitar and started practicing again, and while my fretting hand was relatively intact my picking hand was butchered so much that alt. picking resulted in the pick shooting from my hand, and I'm STILL trying to retrain my picking hand
If you aren't trying to relax or removing the tension on your picking hand, do so... it would feel much better if you pick fast AND relaxed.

And also, practice slowly and as accurate as possible.

Goodluck man!
Start slow, and work your way up. Use metronome if necessary.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by screamodream
thanks for the tips lol i can do it relatively fast going up and down the neck on one string but i seem to loose it when i try and do multiple strings! GRR lol so yeh i guess practise is the key ingredient here!

anywho thanks!

Going over mutiple strings is a lot harder than single string runs, but if you learn a few basic patterns, you'll notice that a lot of alternate picked runs involve the same mechanics.

Practice, keep it clean and perfect, if it's not, slow it down. Also, it's important you have dynamic control over what you're doing, so try certain exercises with palm muting, or without, picked lightly or very heavily. This will help you keep those big, fast, runs clean.

Now without further delay, here's Mr. Paul Gilbert to explain it on video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SvMcT_NiaWo
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by kool98769
like 2 months ago when i wanted to learn black star, i had never used true alternate picking...
and then i just wanked for a long time, until i could hit the notes individually, not just crazily picking...and im still having trouble with switching strings yet...

lol?
Look for the alternate picking lesson on this site. I just tried it and its really helped. Search 'alternate picking' in lessons and make sure you have some kind of metronome.
Also make sure you relax and don't tense yourself up.
Just repeat the exercises from the lesson everyday and eventually you'll get it.
Keep the CONSTANT pattern of strum down, strum up. If there's a pattern that involves say:

1--2--3h4
1--2--3h4

your supposed to down pick the 1st fret, up pick the 2nd, down pick the 3rd, then skip to the next string and start with a downstroke again. Why? Because even tho you didnt pick the 4, it still ''counts'' as an upstroke in your pattern. Oh and, dont expect to get really good at this really fast, synchronising both hands completely is what most guitarists still struggle with after 10+ years of playing.
Quote by doctor woot
might I suggest economy picking?

You may, but that's not quite the same as alternate, so learning economy picking won't necessarily make you a great alternate picking.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
You may, but that's not quite the same as alternate, so learning economy picking won't necessarily make you a great alternate picking.

of course not, but if he's trying to get faster at picking I thought I might just throw that out there.....
Just play all eighth notes at around 120 BPM at an alternate pick. I was eleven when I got my first guitar and I could play 132nd notes (which is super fast.) I guess I was just born with it :P
Quote by jfloyd1879
Just play all eighth notes at around 120 BPM at an alternate pick. I was eleven when I got my first guitar and I could play 132nd notes (which is super fast.) I guess I was just born with it :P

132nd notes?

Let's see; whole notes>half notes>quarter notes>8th notes>16th>32nd>64th>128th, yet that wasn't cool enough so you split a note into a weird fracture allowing you to do 132nd notes?

Also, tremolo picking fast isn't hard. Tremolo picking with a constant, steady, rhythm is already harder and actually playing alternate picked phrases, with one note per pick, takes years to nail cleanly and fast.
Quote by kool98769

Good luck with black star. i love that song.
Be sure to use metronome. I made a major **** up today, because I practiced without. I played a part, and got it down. Then later played it again, but double as fast because I got good at doing it the original speed. Now I couldn't do it clean, and I got pretty angry xD

Metronome=God.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by Dookie92
Yeah, hold the pick at a 45 degree angle to the string.

+1
A drumer is needed!!

In Dammam or Khobar
Quote by screamodream
hi guys i lately have been trying to do really fast,, trivium style, metal solo's however im having trouble with the really fast alternate picking!!! do any of you guys no anyway that i can get better at this?????

cheers dudes

just pick back and forth as fast as you can on your open E string for like 5 minutes. until your arm hurts.

that worked for me.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone