Page 2 of 13
Get them all, you will not be disappointed. Journey's End is the best, but TGW is a close second.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I have them all too, and recommend them, but TGW is my favourite to listen to at the moment.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
^ You have Imrama? Its the only one I cant find, whats it like?
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Its good. Fuil Arsa is one of my favourites, its the opening track and is in our native tongue.

Quote by Stranglehold
Haha I think you mean Winterfest.

****e, its a reflex
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Last edited by 11thHour at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by Stranglehold
^ You have Imrama? Its the only one I cant find, whats it like?

It was the second one I got. Great album, so dark and heavy (in a way). I found the cd (no box) in a clear envelope thing in a friends house and he said I could have it. It's scratched a lot, and the last 4 songs won't play at all, so I downloaded it anyway to hear the full thing.

Quote by 11thHour
Its good. Fuil Arsa is one of my favourites, its the opening track and is in our native tongue.

Yeah, but the way he says it sounds strange...

Do either of you know any other metal as gaeilge??????

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Last edited by Phill-Rock at Mar 15, 2008,
^ I dont know man, Id say Mael Mordha or Cruachan have some..

Oh wait, Geasa's album Angel's Cry has some Irish bits in it, what an album, If any of you need it PM me over the next week, I could send ye some mp3s.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
^I've been trying to find some Geasa, but I can't, I'd appreciate a few mp3s.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Cool man give me a PM with your email address, you seem like a legend, Id be happy to do it.. unfortunately im pretty blocked at the moment so I wouldnt be able to do it tonight, tomorrow though!

Im blasting Graven Idol now, what a song.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I already sent you a pm without my email, I'll send another.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Sounds "weird", yea his pronounciation is strange, but just because it dosent sound all chhhh and Celtic dosent mean its not good Irish. Like look at all the various accents in English. Alan just wanted to make Irish sound dark and strange for that song, and it worked well. Especially in the screaming parts!

Usaideann Mael Mórdha an Ghaeilge freisin.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Last edited by 11thHour at Mar 18, 2008,
I hate overuse of 'chh' sound, wrecks my head. Phill did you get those mp3s? I could only send 2 because my internet was acting gay, at least I hope they sent properly.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
I hate overuse of 'chh' sound, wrecks my head. Phill did you get those mp3s? I could only send 2 because my internet was acting gay, at least I hope they sent properly.

Yeah, they both came through fine - I left you comment saying thanks on your profile I thought...

Thanks again

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Yeah sorry, posted here before I saw the comment!

Does anybody else get the strange feeling when listening to Primordial that it sounds like Alan is about to break down crying or something? Its not a criticism, just sometimes his voice wavers during songs.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
He does that on 'The Coffin Ships', and imo, I think it just adds that much more to an already overwhelmingly emotional song.
He might just be pushing himself too much aswell.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Oh yeah I wasnt saying he means to start crying, it just sounds like it haha.. Id say he is just straining his voice, hes said before he doesnt exactly care for vocal training. His black metal screams are excellent as well though.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Does anybody else get the strange feeling when listening to Primordial that it sounds like Alan is about to break down crying or something? Its not a criticism, just sometimes his voice wavers during songs.

That's what makes his vocals sound so amazing
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Yea it just shows how much the songs meaning means to him.
Unreal performer.
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
Im such a spud for not going to see them live at Winterfest, what was I thinking!? I remember complaining about €30 being too much for tickets or something. Theyll do a tour of Ireland again though.

Say 11thhour, youre not in Fear of The South by any chance are you?
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I am indeed. And you are the........... vocalist of Driven Assault!?

Yay Primordial review in Metalhammer 9/10!!
Although, I thought Mael Mordha also played that gig? I wish they had of got a mention.
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
^ Hahaha no, Im the vocalist for Fomorian, I know Paul Sayers kinda, hes a quality drummer, we were supposed to go for a jam with him before ages ago, I know Eamo from Driven Assault though, sound lad.

Im half thinking of trying to get someone on bodhrán to help me with a cover of 'A Dark Song' it would be so savage, what a great song.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Ah yes he was telling me about that! There seems to be a big aul scene up in Ennis. I have to get up there for a gig some time.

I saw Fomorians bebo page. Excellent name! Will there be any Irish influence in the music or just the theme? Did ye put a song up a while back? Im pretty sure I heard it.

'Beneath A Bronze Sky', some song man. Its clearly Irish, but still so dark and unique.
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
^ Ah its just the influence in the name, theres no real folk sound in the music, but Ive always wanted to write a song about the Fomorian race, I will soon enough I reckon. And yeah we have a rough track up, you should give it an auld listen, but were finished mixing and whatnot next week.. hopefully. Then I have a few more songs half-written that have to be finished, probably in the summer.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Ah I just sent in a review of TTND.
It took a while!

Besides, what better way to commemorate our fallen heroes of 1916 than by listening and reviewing "To The Nameless Dead" in its entirety?
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
Last edited by 11thHour at Mar 23, 2008,
'The Soul Must Sleep' is too good for words. Im really getting into Spirit.. a lot more these days, after my month-long Journey's End binge.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I'm loving "The Coffin Ships" at the moment, such a deadly song.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

^ Indeed, it's a classic.

I feel like such a fool. About a month ago I got my hands on a copy of TTND, I listened to it in the full, but it just didn't click. I was disappointed, because there was a lot of hype surrounding it, and I really enjoyed The Gathering Wilderness. Well, I decided to give it another spin today and I'm in love with it. Strange how these things work, huh?

I must admit "The gathering wilderness" was a let down for me. I have TTND and love it, and I don't think TGW is nearly as good, but perhaps I just need to listen to it more. Of course The coffin ships is an awesome song, but practically all the songs off of TTND are awesome.
^ Both The Gathering Wilderness and TTND had to grow on me. Although chances are you like it now, if that's not the case, give it another spin.

So, I now have Spirit The Earth Aflame, in addition to TTND and TGW, and all three are incredible. Out of curiosity, has there been any significant changed in their sound throughout their career?
Storm Before Calm had a lot less clean singing.. and thats about it! The albums have got less aggressive as they go on, and more.. epic I suppose. Think of it as a Bathory-style progression kind of.

And technicolour, TGW will grow on you, definitely!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
So, comparing, say, Imrama to TTND, Imrama would be more along the lines of straight folk/black metal?
I dont have Imrama, but I hear its a lot more BM-based, which is great, I love Primordial's more aggressive songs, I prefer them to the slower ones at times.

But yes, you have the general idea.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
^Yes, it's a lot more black metal-ish.

Also, the production used to be BM quality, but it's a lot better now (and I prefer good production with folk/black).

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Production has never been a problem for me, in a lot of instances I prefer iffy quality.

Now I definitely want to check it out.
I just got To the Nameless Dead, my first Primordial album. It owns.

I love As Rome Burns.

Epic.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
^ Your music taste wins.

TTND is one of the most epic albums. Ever. Although it's hard for Primordial to make something that *isn't* epic. You should check out The Gathering Wilderness next.

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
I just got To the Nameless Dead, my first Primordial album. It owns.

I love As Rome Burns.

Epic.

It's about time you got around to it.

And yes, it's an amazing album. Definitely in my top 3 that year.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

One of these days I might try and tab out Gallows Hymn...I've got the intro down (I think), and it's a pretty straight forward song.

Probably my favorite off of TTND, along with Empire Falls and Failures Burden
Quote by Phill-Rock
It's about time you got around to it.

And yes, it's an amazing album. Definitely in my top 3 that year.

Yeah it's definitelty up there with Vintersorg's Sollens Rotter.

And Broadsword: Yes! Tabs FTW.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Broadsword
One of these days I might try and tab out Gallows Hymn...I've got the intro down (I think), and it's a pretty straight forward song.

Probably my favorite off of TTND, along with Empire Falls and Failures Burden

YES! Tab it.. I love that song, especially the part where Alan sings 'Im a heathen, searching for his soul' and the double bass kicks in again, awesome.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested