I'm sure this has been said before here many times, but . . .

I played through a Peavey Valveking 100 head and 4 x 12 cabinet today at Guitar Center (with both an HSS Strat and a Hello Kitty guitar), both clean and dirty. That thing ROCKS! Even with the master volume at like 0.1, and the gain at 10, that thing sounded nicely, sweetly distorted, with lots of gain and feedback. You want a great-sounding, all-tube, 100-Watt amp head for playing metal for about $500 USD and change? THIS IS IT!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 2, 2007,
The Valvekings are pretty nice for the price. They're no Orange or Mesa, but they get the job done on a budget. I had the 1x12 Valveking for a while, it rocked :]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Axecutioner
Might I question why you were playing a Hello Kitty guitar?

I was kind of curious too.

do explain...
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Laney GH50L (switchable from EL34s to 6L6s)

And stay away from hello kitty.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by chase312
The Valvekings are pretty nice for the price. They're no Orange or Mesa, but they get the job done on a budget. I had the 1x12 Valveking for a while, it rocked.
I dunno . . . maybe it was the 4x12 cab that did it, because, I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the character of the Valveking 100's distortion, even at EXTREMELY low volumes. It sounded SWEET. And if you know me, I'm all about the "not enough gain" whine. This amp really surprised me. It's as good or better-sounding than my Engl preamp. Playing this head through the Peavey 4x12 cabinet sounded pretty damn sweet. Full, rich, fat, mean, growly. Gutsy, yet bright cleans. Perhaps not quite Fender Twin clean, but I REALLY liked the cleans on this amp, too.

I mean, for $529 MAP, paired with a moderately-priced cabinet at about the same price, you just can't beat this combo for the price with a stick.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
I dunno . . . maybe it was the 4x12 cab that did it, because, I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the character of the Valveking 100's distortion, even at EXTREMELY low volumes. It sounded SWEET. And if you know me, I'm all about the "not enough gain" whine. This amp really surprised me. It's as good or better-sounding than my Engl preamp. Remeber, I was playing this head through a Peavey 4x12 cabinet, and that cab sounded pretty damn sweet too. Full, rich, fat. Gutsy, bright cleans. Perhaps not quite Fender Twin clean, but I REALLY liked the cleans on this amp, too.

But, why were you playing a Hello Kitty guitar?

;]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
But, why were you playing a Hello Kitty guitar?

Need I say more? (It's for my black HSS—he wants her).

I want to get a pink one and put in a EMG 81 and a KFK gain booster.

hell yes.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Don't laugh. You should've heard that bridge-position, single humbucker through the Peavey. It sounded pretty f*ckin' cool. Hot, twangy, and full of treble—it screamed. Also, its Maple fretboard was smooth, and fun to play. The action, was low, loose, and slinky.