i've had my ibanez 370dx for about a week now, and am tired of the basic amp basic electric guitar sound, and want to move up into some metal sounding type effects. where would i start?

thanks in advance for being so noob friendly
Lots of gain, for one. Or do you mean gear? Like amps for metal, etc. If so, post it in the amp recommendation thread.
either u do wat sadistic sponge ses or u get a good effects pedal lik da 1 i hav a boss ME-50 or a boss GT-8!! n u set da dist accordingly it much betr da da dist on da amps n den if u hav 1 of doze amps bcome cheapr cuz u wont need da dist on da amps!
Quote by mik da sic
either u do wat sadistic sponge ses or u get a good effects pedal lik da 1 i hav a boss ME-50 or a boss GT-8!! n u set da dist accordingly it much betr da da dist on da amps n den if u hav 1 of doze amps bcome cheapr cuz u wont need da dist on da amps!

^
what the **** was that?
i interpret it as get a ME-50 pedal or a Boss GT-8, i'll look into those
You need to turn the mids all the way down on your amp and crank up the highs and lows. If you have reverb, keep it low. And of course you need the gain all the way up.
I have a Digitech DF7 pedal. It does 7 different distortion pedal models, and 7 different amp models. Plug it in, set it, stomp it=distortion for that metal sound.
you could try scott ian's black 13 pedal.
i dont know how good it is, but all the reviews ive read say it does the job well.

so yeah if you like the really heavy anthrax sound then id pick it up (wich i plan on).
... who the hell are you?!
Focus on finding an amp that sounds good. You can after that tweak the distortion using distortion or overdrive pedals with the gain turned really low - you want most of the distortion to come out of the amp, but a pedal is really useful for adding that little extra crunch.

Personally, I really like Boss MT-2 -> Vox AD VT, but I'm sure other pedals would do just as well.
I'm a communist. Really.
Post in the guitar gear and accessories forum, and check the "who to listen to" list.
I don't believe anyone here who's posted is on that list.

Oh and just a note, they'll want to know what your amp is, what styles you play, etc.

As for the posters here, everyone in GG&A hates metal zone pedals. They won't like the Digitech DF7 suggestion, and they certainly won't like the mids=0 suggestion.

Never take the mids out completely, never turn the gain all the way up. It's a way of bull****ting yourself into thinking your good, because all that comes through is fuzz.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Quote by mik da sic

You have talent.

At butchering the English language.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
i have a digitech death metal pedal and for black metal it is amazing!
but if you turn down the distortion levels and up the bass you can get a proper crunchy slayer sound
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
You need to turn the mids all the way down on your amp and crank up the highs and lows. If you have reverb, keep it low. And of course you need the gain all the way up.

Bad UGer, scooping your mids is bad. Even Metallica don't actually do it; the only album that they really used scooped mids on is ...And Justice For All and the production on that is absolutely shocking.

You need a healthy dose of mids or you will never cut through a band mix in a live situation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
the electro- harmonix metal muff is good but what there saying about mids is true mids are a good thing even in metal
Gear
Epiphone sg
Electro-harmonix Metal Muff
Behringer amp
behringer strat
Quote by -=Croatoan=-

Hell Naw.

Scooped mids saound really bad, no life or punch to the tone. Leave the mids in, and only turn them down if you HAVE to.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
To get that metal sound,you gotta get a 5150.

Either that,or get a metal muff.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Bad UGer, scooping your mids is bad. Even Metallica don't actually do it; the only album that they really used scooped mids on is ...And Justice For All and the production on that is absolutely shocking.

You need a healthy dose of mids or you will never cut through a band mix in a live situation.

some amps dont respond very well when you adjust their tone so you might need to do that, obviously dont want it to sound really thin so be reasonable with how much you turn it down.
I love the distortion I get out of my Vox AD30VT, I'd definately recommend it, however I personally don't find it goes well with pedals.