I've recently decided to take care of some problems with my Fender MIM Strat. I was planning on potting my pickups, and shielding it, however, the pole pieces on my pickups are showing some signs of oxidation. Not the orange rust kind, but a gray crust type, if I can get ahold of a friend's camera I'll add pictures. But what I wanted to know was
1) Do these pickups need replaced/cleaned, and if so how or with what?
2) If these pickups are fine, will potting them in wax cause any new problems?

Thanks all.
Quote by Kentris.5
I've recently decided to take care of some problems with my Fender MIM Strat. I was planning on potting my pickups, and shielding it, however, the pole pieces on my pickups are showing some signs of oxidation. Not the orange rust kind, but a gray crust type, if I can get ahold of a friend's camera I'll add pictures. But what I wanted to know was
1) Do these pickups need replaced/cleaned, and if so how or with what?
2) If these pickups are fine, will potting them in wax cause any new problems?

Thanks all.
Oxidation on the pole-pieces is only cosmetic. No need to replace. You can clean the oxidation with automobile rubbing compound or a metal polish.

Potting won't cause new problems, but it IS a bit dangerous. Be sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy, and be CAREFUL. Severe burns and/or burning your house down would be a high price to pay. Exercise a little care and you won't have problems.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.