My guitar goes through a Boss ME-50 into a Mackie DFX-6 mixer. Then, the RCA Tape Out outputs go to my computer and 1/4" outs go to my amp.

In this configuration, there is a LOT of background noise going into the computer. Also, if I switch from Tape Out to the 1/4" Aux Out outputs, the same thing happens.

At this point, I just have the guitar into the ME-50 and into the computer with no mixer.

Any ideas on the noise thing?

Thanks!
those 1/4" outputs on the mixer are TRS balanced outputs you know. You need to use balanced cables, and whatever is on the other end has to have balanced inputs.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
those 1/4" outputs on the mixer are TRS balanced outputs you know. You need to use balanced cables, and whatever is on the other end has to have balanced inputs.

Thanks for the input. One thing I forgot to mention is that the Main Outs to the amp are not nearly as bad as the Tape and Aux outs.

I went to Guitar Center and talked to one of the gear guys. He asked what I use the board for and yada yada. I told him that sometimes I use the effects. However, the most important thing is it's the only way for me to use my microphone with xlr cable. Obviously, I have no need for multiple tracks when recording - I record one track at a time and do the mix using Guitar Tracks Pro.

He said to scrap the Mackie for recording - it's a known 'noisy' board. He turned me onto a PreSonus TubePre single channel preamp for $100. In order to avoid rewiring between recording and playing through the amp, the wiring will be as follows:

Boss ME-50 1/4" Output to TubePre 1/4" Input
Shure Mic XLR cable to TubePre XLR Input
TubePre XLR Output to Computer Input (XLR -> RCA -> 1/8" Pin)
TubePre 1/4" Output to Marshall 1/4" Input

I'll still use the board if I want to play guitar and sing or have more than one player...