Actually this will be my first guitar ever. I am sick of just listening to music and letting other people make it and enjoy the heck out of it, while I am not. Enough if enough I say! I like metal the most...mainly gothic and symphonic metal, but I also like rock, alternative rock, space rock, classical, and some other things that I am sure I am forgetting.

I am in a pretty bad situation for buying a guitar because there is only one guitar store near me and the selection is terrible, so I am just going to have to do research through websites such as musiciansfriend.com and this forum to know what to buy. I am a 17 year old dude with small hands who needs a lightweight guitar with thin fretboard, so I can play and not kill myself and get arthritis

I think these two guitars might suit me:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Omen-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=518181

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783

Which one would you guys get, they seem so comparable and that people are in both camps, but one has to be better than the other!!! I will say I like the all black Ibanez better than Schecter because it has that stupid white tail thing on their black guitar. Idk guys, what do you think? I can afford to spend about $500 or $600 or even $700, but I think that is stupid as hell to do for my first guitar. I mean I *can* afford that, but it would take me a hell of a long time to get that money back : (
It sucks not being able to go and try these sick ass guitars in the store, but I can't do much about it so I'm really hoping u guys help or else I won't know what to do because I mean the reviews are helpful on those websites but I trust people on forums a lot more for brutal honesty.
Have you considered what amp your buying?
And I have played both guitars, and own the Ibanez.
I love the RG2EX1, the Omen 6 is really dull sounding in my opinion. Love the Schecter Damien 6 though.
I hear rave reviews about both companies.

I'd go with the RG if I were you though.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by edge11
the first one is on sale at guitar center.

OH CRAP You are right man...dang dude, you just saved me $30 if I decide to buy that guitar.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Quote by ElectricFiend
OH CRAP You are right man...dang dude, you just saved me $30 if I decide to buy that guitar.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Dont do it.............
Quote by kaossurge
Have you considered what amp your buying?
And I have played both guitars, and own the Ibanez.
I love the RG2EX1, the Omen 6 is really dull sounding in my opinion. Love the Schecter Damien 6 though.

Interesting, looks like I'm leaning to the RG now...will probably end up getting it.

As far as amps go, I thought about this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

I don't really need some huge thing and would like something portable, but maybe this isn't such a good choice, not sure.
Quote by del monte
Dont do it.............

He said first guitar, but I checked and he meant the Ibanez. It is $270 online at guitar center
You're not leaning towards the RG, people just say they would choose that if they were you. Which they aren't.

So I would at least try to find a shop which sells an Ibanez and hopefully that give you enough hint in that guitar. Then with a wider neck to resemble the Schecter. However whatever you choose won't be much difference if you have a whacked amp. So take that into consideration before asking AND deciding on the same day.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Quote by edge11
the first one is on sale at guitar center.

Isn't it actually the second one? I know for a fact the RG is on sale, and if the omen is, than they both are... What's funny is, the day I bought my RG I went on GuitarCenter.com to see it on sale... but I bought mine in store and got an amazing deal as always.
Quote by Alex The Red
I hear rave reviews about both companies.

I'd go with the RG if I were you though.

Cool man.

Everyone in this thread has said the RG so far...I like that. Makes it a heck of a lot easier for me, lol.

Looks like I will be getting the RG unless anyone else can think of another guitar. I mean if there is something really good in the $400 or $500 I will buy it, if it was soooo much better than the RG or something. I am definitely open to that.
Electricfiend, can you play guitar yet or is this going to be your first time :S just wondering
Quote by IndieLee
You're not leaning towards the RG, people just say they would choose that if they were you. Which they aren't.

So I would at least try to find a shop which sells an Ibanez and hopefully that give you enough hint in that guitar. Then with a wider neck to resemble the Schecter. However whatever you choose won't be much difference if you have a whacked amp. So take that into consideration before asking AND deciding on the same day.

That is true man, I think your post helps the most. I didn't know Schecter had a wide neck, so it looks like that guitar is out for me because I won't be able to play on a wide neck with my small hands.

Do you have any suggestions for amps?

Also this guitar store doesn't even carry electric guitars, lol, which totally sucks.
Quote by del monte
Electricfiend, can you play guitar yet or is this going to be your first time :S just wondering

I've played on some of my friends guitars, but uhhh, pretty much will be starting from scratch, but I know it is something I want to do.
Quote by jetfuel495
schecter makes great guitars, but in this situation i would have to go with the ibanez

Why is that?
Quote by kaossurge
Isn't it actually the second one? I know for a fact the RG is on sale, and if the omen is, than they both are... What's funny is, the day I bought my RG I went on GuitarCenter.com to see it on sale... but I bought mine in store and got an amazing deal as always.

How do you always get amazing deals in the store...how amazing are these deals exactly?
Quote by ElectricFiend
I've played on some of my friends guitars, but uhhh, pretty much will be starting from scratch, but I know it is something I want to do.

cool mate
Quote by ElectricFiend
Interesting, looks like I'm leaning to the RG now...will probably end up getting it.

As far as amps go, I thought about this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

I don't really need some huge thing and would like something portable, but maybe this isn't such a good choice, not sure.

Pretty solid starter amp... You will have to upgrade in the future however.
Ive always loved the RGs, I dont have one but yeah, I like them alot. Ive heard good reviews of schecters, but Ive never played one. I think the Ibanez might be more comfortable for you also.
Quote by del monte
cool mate

Ya, I am sooo excited about getting my first guitar man...I seriously had trouble sleeping last night because I am so pumped up, lol.

I signed up for the free 3 day trial of this website:

http://www.nextlevelguitar.com/

I watched about 35 videos on it so far, lol, and it seems amazing!!! I think if I use this I will be on a great path and will surpass people who learned on their own with no instruction and were all over the place. I mean, I'm sure those people get to be really amazing, but it takes longer and is more frustrating at times.

I think I will pay the $29/month for these videos. Sure beats the price of a real instructor, lol.
Quote by kaossurge
Pretty solid starter amp... You will have to upgrade in the future however.

Cool, how long would you approximate before I will need to upgrade? Just curious because I would like to start saving for it right away.
Quote by Dookie92
Ive always loved the RGs, I dont have one but yeah, I like them alot. Ive heard good reviews of schecters, but Ive never played one. I think the Ibanez might be more comfortable for you also.

Very cool, thanks for the helpful reply.
Quote by ElectricFiend
Cool, how long would you approximate before I will need to upgrade? Just curious because I would like to start saving for it right away.

it depends how fast you progress
Quote by ElectricFiend

It depends I guess.

Also, the Microcube has the advantage of being really small and it has the option of running on batteries, so when you do upgrade, there's actually a point in keeping it and you'll still find yourself using it.

As for the guitars, the Ibanez would get my vote. The biggest problem with non-Prestige Ibanez RGs are the low quality trems and since this is a hardtail, you won't have to deal with those. Also, they have very comfortable necks, which is of course a plus.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
It depends I guess.

Also, the Microcube has the advantage of being really small and it has the option of running on batteries, so when you do upgrade, there's actually a point in keeping it and you'll still find yourself using it.

As for the guitars, the Ibanez would get my vote. The biggest problem with non-Prestige Ibanez RGs are the low quality trems and since this is a hardtail, you won't have to deal with those. Also, they have very comfortable necks, which is of course a plus.

Ya man, the Microcube seems like a good choice and the Ibanez seems like a sweet ass guitar--I am soo excited about playing it, it just is a shame there aren't any of these where I live so I can try them out, but based on what everyone has said, it seems like the perfect fit for me.
Quote by ElectricFiend
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

no biggy dude!
If you can up a little in price, consider a Carvin. I have bought three and I have small hands as well. check out a DC-135:

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC135

Yes, it is a little more expensive than the others, but this is a guitar that you will keep forever. The Ibanez or the Schecter, although nice guitars, will dissapoint you as you get better. Carvins are guitars you will keep forever.

Check out my DC 400 - http://ickthoos.com/images/DSCF0177.JPG
Quote by ElectricFiend
Why is that?

Schecter's low end < Ibanez's low end.

I'd go with the RG.

A bit of topic here, but if you want to start from scratch I'd suggest starting with a classical guitar. It works on your fingers better with fretting and fingerpicking. That's actually how most people start. I know I started like this and I'm thankful for that.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Schecter's low end < Ibanez's low end.

I'd go with the RG.

A bit of topic here, but if you want to start from scratch I'd suggest starting with a classical guitar. It works on your fingers better with fretting and fingerpicking. That's actually how most people start. I know I started like this and I'm thankful for that.

On the other hand, like many others, I started on electric and it was never a problem for me.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
On the other hand, like many others, I started on electric and it was never a problem for me.

Hell ya, I'd rather play electric bass, or drums rather than start on a classical or acoustic guitar--those campfire tunes can be left for someone else, lol. I want to ROCK the **** out son!
I made a long trip away from my house today and spent about 3 hours at the guitar store and played the Ibanez, and boy, that is definitely the one I will be getting. Thinnest neck I saw in the store, nice action (even though that can be changed), looks badass in black, perfect size for me, etc.,

I am going to be ordering it online either tonight or tomorrow night! I can hardly wait : )
omens suck if you want a schecter, get the damien 6
or if you dont care, then get the ibanez FO SHO!
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
omens suck if you want a schecter, get the damien 6
or if you dont care, then get the ibanez FO SHO!

Ya man, I'm getting the Ibanez fa sho, haha.
Quote by ElectricFiend
I made a long trip away from my house today and spent about 3 hours at the guitar store and played the Ibanez, and boy, that is definitely the one I will be getting. Thinnest neck I saw in the store, nice action (even though that can be changed), looks badass in black, perfect size for me, etc.,

I am going to be ordering it online either tonight or tomorrow night! I can hardly wait : )

Great, it was a good idea to just try it out, but one question though, if you loved the one in the store, why are you going to order one online?

Even two guitars from the same series can differ from eachother and if you liked the Ibanez in the store, why not get that?