i can play everything except the solo in master of puppets, tornado of souls, creeping death and seek and destroy (with downpicking). i can play the solo and all leads in whiskey in the jar, any and all green day songs (dont know if i shouldve said this), fingerpick stairway to heaven, nothing else matters. also dust in the wind at 100bpm 16th notes, improvise over the usual major and minor scales at 8th and 16th notes at 100bpm, and other random stuff.
highest shred speed i ever got to was the lightning fast thing in the intro of down to my last(alter bridge) where its something like 16th notes at 152 bpm.
am i good enough?
been playing for a year exactly.
are you trying to boast? cos it's not working...

but if your being serious... your doing good (y)
well i would say thats great for a year but ive only being playing 3 months but i practice nearly 5-7 hours a day and im no where near that
if your better today than you were yesterday, you're improving

otherwise being able to play someone elses song isnt impressive at all

and thinking you can "improvise" by playing the notes in a certain key over and over again isn't impressive

HARSH? yes, but if you're "good enough", which you certainly aren't, what else is there to learn? might as well stop.
what do you mean you can play everything except the solo in master of puppts, you mean you can play every song ever written? lol
ah come on man, im just trying to hold my own in a world full of shredders. if i had the i'm good enough attitude, i wouldnt be able to get where i am for another two years. no im not trying to boast, i just want an honest opinion of how well ive progressed in the time ive been playing.

and no, i dont just play the scale over and over again, i solo over it, and cross over to other scales in the middle.
Quote by fretsonfire74
what do you mean you can play everything except the solo in master of puppts, you mean you can play every song ever written? lol

i meant the song master of puppets

edit] you know what i mean
look im not trying to show off, i know there are a million other people out there who can shred, fingerpick, whatever, better than me. i just want to know where i stand compared to them and how much more i need to practice to get there
Quote by guitar_freak523
who cares what you can duplicate its what you can create

These are wise words.

Playing guitar is not a competition or a sport of any sort. You shouldn't be "trying to hold your own in a world of shredders" or anything. However, from what you tell us you seem to be a good guitarist technically. Now you have to branch off into other directions. Do you know and understand music theory? Do you have any idea of how chord extensions are formed?

There's tonnes of stuff out there to learn. You have merely brazed the surface.
Well to be honest, coming on and reeling off a list of what you can play doesn't mean anything. Just because you know how to play a song doesn't mean you can, if that makes any sense. So just because you come on and tell me you can play all this doesn't mean you know how to do it well, if even listenable.

Record some stuff, put it up then we can tell you.

look im not trying to show off, i know there are a million other people out there who can shred, fingerpick, whatever, better than me. i just want to know where i stand compared to them and how much more i need to practice to get there

I agree with Tsunoyukami, you shouldn't be constantly comparing yourself and trying to compete with other people. It gets annoying.
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Last edited by DoGaLoG at Oct 27, 2007,
This isnt for boosting egos.
You've said you can play the dorian scale are whatever speed. Why are you asking us?

Closed
Been away, am back