Ok, I've been playin for a couple of years now (well coming up to my third this christmas) and I know that I can improve my skills.

SO I heard about theory.

I know its sounds noobish etc but how important is theory and if it can help improve my axe playing skills, how can it?

For relevance, I mostly play punk music but I'm starting to branch out to experimental and alternative
Well theory helps you writing music, understanding music, tabbing music, playing music and improvising. You know that 99% of people who answer to this thread will say that you need theory and I agree with them.

Here is one massive link , but don't get scared, start from the beginning and ask if something is not clear.

Good luck!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Theory is very important, even if only basic theory. Chord progressions, basic scales to come up with some cool licks, identifying what key a piece of music/chord progression is in etc can help you even if you are playing punk.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
it helps a lot, but personally i dont use it like a bible, i use it like a guide
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
thanks

its cos im the only guitarist in my band and like they reckon i should just add solo parts into songs and I thought theories could help
Yes, learn theory.

At the very least, learn some scales and what intervals are. Chord construction too.
Quote by TheCrowing2113
thanks

its cos im the only guitarist in my band and like they reckon i should just add solo parts into songs and I thought theories could help

Best scales to learn first then are the major and minor scales, and the major and minor pentatonics.
Go here:
www.zentao.com/guitar
its an amazing theory site. Read through a bit of that and you should start to get an idea of how important theory is.
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989