IS there a best brand of bass strings?

I play all sorts of bass from pick to finger to slap all in equal quantities so could someone recommend a decen set of strings. How does gauge affect tone?
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings. 'The dogs bollocks' in other words.
There is no best brand. But, the ones that eveyone here is going to recommend to you is: Ernie Ball, DR and Rotosound. A few punks might recommend GHS which have a nice tone for about a week.
Ernie Ball are generally well balanced mid accentuated strings, giving them perceptibly bright sound, but they're not bright if you know what I mean.
DR have a good balance to them as well, without any kind of accentuation really. If strings were made out of wood DRs would be the most premium of basswood. They don't really have a specific tone but are very versatile, with a nice general tone. Also DRs are great with slap.
Rotosounds are the bright strings. They aren't like the Ernie Balls where they are perceptibly bright they are BRIGHT. Almost to the point of harshness when they are new.
Oh, also Ben is going to recommend you Stadium Elites which I know nothing about, so ask him.
(Do you get the feeling this is old hat for me here? Well it is. If you search you will find many threads on this subject).
To recommend a string to you I'm going to need a genre to work with, but in general, I would say Rotosound, to the average rock/metal player.
^LOL, Bales. You could almost hear your deep, bored sigh there.

And someone needs to tell Ben and Chris to include "strings" in the Bass Forum FAQ.
Well sorry if i asked the question for the millionth time but i do thank you for your time.

I play allsorts, Wooten, Rush, RHCP, Muse etc but i also like to play metal and hard rock as well.

It needs to be for a 5 String bass where one thing i hated about the last set i used was that the B string was flubby and was just unplayable at times due to the amount of vibration it had. Is there a way to get round it? All my other strings felt really nice to play on but the B string would just vibrate so much i thought the bass was gonna implode on me.
Last edited by Ashdownlover at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by bungshal
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings. 'The dogs bollocks' in other words.

I just got these for my Fender, and I'm not really a big fan. They give a fairly nice sound, but I'm not too big a fan of how they feel. They feel very...weak. Maybe I just need to adjust my action, which I'm going to try, but atm I'm just not a fan of them.

I'm a big Rotosound fan, though. Never had a problem with them and they give a very nice, clear, bright sound.
Quote by Ashdownlover
IS there a best brand of bass strings?

I play all sorts of bass from pick to finger to slap all in equal quantities so could someone recommend a decen set of strings. How does gauge affect tone?

There is no best string, but everyone has brand they swear by. For me It's Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies, I refuse to use anything else now.

Although other people swear by, DR, Rotosounds, GHS Boomers, and some other craps.
I personally use Rotosounds, because their slightly thicker gage B and E-strings sound great, but I've also had very good experiences with EB Hybrid Slinkies. Also, I remember the first time I changed my strings. I hadn't changed any (apart from the G-string which I SNAPPED) for nearly a year and the immediate difference in tone was shocking. What can I say, I never knew how bad they were before until I changed them.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Well If you're looking for brightness from strings, rotosound, imo, can't be beat; even there flatwounds are brighter than alot of company's roundwounds. The only thing I hate about them is that they tear up your fingers like no other, until you get caluses from rotosounds, you have never really built your caluses. But as for me, my favorite strings are Elixers and Dean Markleys, not very many people stick by them but they're my tried and true
I mite go ernie ball as they seem the middle of the road strings then progress onto rotos.

Just cleaned my bass up tonite and reoiled the neck. Cant wait to get her strung back up and pump out some funky shiz
personally GHS and Ernie balls suck

Elixir all the way. they have a great sound that last's for ages
I like DR Hi-Beams. I'm using Ernie Balls right now and they're OK, but I prefer DR a lot more.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON