I was wondering how you approach ii v i chord sequences when playing lead guitar ,
most specifically note choices and how they relate to each chord/key .

thanks for your help/suggestions .

one method i found works is :

IIm7 start on the 11th use pentatonic minor
V7 use V7b9 arpeggio (starting on 3rd)
Imaj7 use pentatonic major scale .
you can get away with using the major scale of the I chord for the whole progression, so I would use that as an outline and throw in things like a V7 arp over the V. Over the ii you can get away with aeolian or dorian scales and then hit a mixolydian lick over the V making sure to emphasize the b7.

check this out too...its mostly about minor ii V i progressions and it has a sweet C major ii V I backing track to practice over

minor chord changes
Last edited by albino strat! at Oct 27, 2007,
note choices: the notes from the chords you're playing over. start by arpeggiating 8th notes but using the last one as a leading tone into the third of the next chord. go from there. cop ii-V-I licks from charlie parker because he knows how to play 'em.

oh and the 7b9 over the V7 is quite wonderful. approach each tone (excluding the root) from below and you have a half-whole dim scale. just don't overuse it.
Quote by Nick_
cop ii-V-I licks from charlie parker because he knows how to play 'em.

+1
Plus get a real book or soem leadhseets, find the ii--V-Is, listen to the solos, and seal their licks. Listen, transcribe and learn is what jazz is all about.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Sinan 90
Listen, transcribe and learn is what jazz is all about.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

LISTEN TO HIM!!!! HE'S TELLING THE TRUTH SO GO RIGHT NOW AND APPLY WHAT HE'S SAYING!!!!
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by VR2005
Couldn't have put it better myself.

LISTEN TO HIM!!!! HE'S TELLING THE TRUTH SO GO RIGHT NOW AND APPLY WHAT HE'S SAYING!!!!

I detect slight over enthusiasm.
Founder of Jaco society

A wise adjudicator once told me:

"Jazz is all about stealing stuff"

Aside from the obvious and somewhat humorous racial connotation, it's absolutely true.
I totally agree, look at all the standards which have (almost) identical chord sequences.
Founder of Jaco society

Maybe, but so few people take that advice and wonder why their playing is stale or why the don't sound as melodic as the people they idle.

Quote by sinan90
+1
Plus get a real book or soem leadhseets, find the ii--V-Is, listen to the solos, and seal their licks. Listen, transcribe and learn is what jazz is all about.

Are there licks in jazz? I didn't realize that. I thought licks were mainly a blues and rock thing. What are some common licks in jazz?
Quote by Spamwise
Are there licks in jazz? I didn't realize that. I thought licks were mainly a blues and rock thing. What are some common licks in jazz?

Oh my boy, I'm sorry for your unfortunate amount of information accessible to you.

There are many licks for jazz. A lot of them come from the greats of the past, such as Charlie Parker or Wes Montgomery for example. But people make their own licks all the time as well. It's just whatever sounds good to you.
Quote by Sleepn_Giant
Oh my boy, I'm sorry for your unfortunate amount of information accessible to you.

There are many licks for jazz. A lot of them come from the greats of the past, such as Charlie Parker or Wes Montgomery for example. But people make their own licks all the time as well. It's just whatever sounds good to you.

Haha, well jazz is a very indepth genere and I have really no idea where to look. I was surprised at how few lessons there were about jazz here. Forgive my noobiness.

Okay, I'll check them out. I got a Wes Montgomery cd ("the incredible jazz guitar") from a local library, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'll check out Parker as well.
Quote by Spamwise
Haha, well jazz is a very indepth genere and I have really no idea where to look. I was surprised at how few lessons there were about jazz here. Forgive my noobiness.

Okay, I'll check them out. I got a Wes Montgomery cd ("the incredible jazz guitar") from a local library, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'll check out Parker as well.

Yeah "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery" is AMAZING. It's what got me into jazz. I hope you enjoy it .
I'm not the biggest Montgomery fan anymore, but I respect what he did and how he played. In my opinion Full House and Smokin' at the Half Note are much better then Incredible Jazz Guitar. I really ONLY like Wes when he's playing live.

Quote by VR2005
I'm not the biggest Montgomery fan anymore, but I respect what he did and how he played. In my opinion Full House and Smokin' at the Half Note are much better then Incredible Jazz Guitar. I really ONLY like Wes when he's playing live.

Yeah, he is really good live. I'm just saying that I love it because it got my foot into jazz, which has expanded above and beyond since then.
Oh yeah, it basically did the same for me.