OK, I posted like 2 other threads related to this, where I never really got an answer to my questions. I first and foremost ask that you don't reccomend me expensive ass tube amps I can't afford. Quite simply, the high gain tube amplifiers of today are WAY too expensive for me.

Honestly, I'd like to stick in the $500-$600 range, and I want either SS 75 to 100 Watts or tube at least 30 Watts (doubt its gonna happen tube wise)

It can be a stack or a combo, I don't care (but I think it'd be cool too have a stack anyway, I know I don't need it by any means tho)

I need it for hard rock, metal, and shred, my peavey covers everything else. It will be a gigging and practice amp (I'll prolly buy a VJ somewhere down the line specifically for practice)

right now I've been looking at crate's flexwave line (the FW120 combo and stack) and randall's lower end stuff like the Randall RX120RHS. But I am definitely not limited to those amps.

I love my peavey's tone, but it just doesnt cut it for my style of music.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Check out Vox's new XL series. They sound great and range from 15-100 watts.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Try a Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 tube combo. Some like it for metal, some don't. $429.
^ Don't get a modelling amp when you can afford a fully valve one. You might get an secondhand for within your price range.
I'd second the Fallen Angel over the Valveking, although its discontinued so you'll need to search a bit, but looking used is really really worth it
^ They discontinued the VK? Probably because so many are getting sent back for repairs.. -.-

Decent amp, made horribly.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Check out a Peavey Windsor.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Fallen Angels have a good rep, but I have read two posts discussing reliablilty issues.
Quote by BeëlzeM
Check out a Peavey Windsor.

Windsor is not high gain. Its more like a JCM800 really.
honestly I've been thinking about the RH150G3 -- but right now I have 0 dollars...

spent all my cash on the peavey, which I absolutely LOVE for rock/blues/country/jazz, but ugh, when you get into shred/fusion/metal/hard rock, even with a pedal the tone is simply unacceptable to me.

Valveking is a possibility. I was gonna buy one before I found the classic 30 used, but I picked that up for $350, and for the sound, thats really a steal.

BTW, I dont really know how much gain I need. I want an amp that can handle Yngwie, Satch, etc tones, and Metal from Metallica, and pantera stuff, as well as one that will handle shred/rock stuff like canon rock well.

I dunno if the windsor could handle that, but its still a bit more than I wanna spend.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Look for a 5150 used. The combo will be all you need.
I've never played the Fallen Angel, but the Valveking is pretty good.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
^ I already have a nice pedal, and I really dont want a blues junior.

I'm already buying a second amp specifically for metal/hard rock, and I have a great all tube amp for everything else.

I'll look into the 5150/6505,but I'm not sure how much it'll end up running me.

I wish I had a damn job and wasnt strapped for cash lol.

I think i might save up for the randall RH150G3, simply because as a SS it can distort better at lower volumes than the 5150, and I need it as a practice amp too lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Oct 27, 2007,
i own a Line 6 Spider II 75 HD with the line 6 4 X 12 cab.... it`s loud and cheap i like it more then the Mashall MG100FX, the head and cab cost me $700 brand new Candian. i couldn`t find any USED Marshalls for that price.

I love my Line 6 it sounds Awesome with my Warlock with EMG 85/81`s, i play Mostly Slayer in Eb tuning.... i did notice if you play in B... (i f`in hate B tuning anyway) the Head doesn`t like it too much. But it doesn`t have a problem doing C# for Newer Slayer.

if i did it again though.... as much as i love my 75 HD i`d probly go with the 150 next time.

Although i`m gonna get a Marshall JCM 800 for my next amp but i`m poor and the head alone cost $2200
5150 or a Laney GH50L.

If you want SS go with Randall or Line 6
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by CJRocker
Windsor is not high gain. Its more like a JCM800 really.

seemed pretty high gain to me. more of an 80's metal tone, to be fair, but lots of gain.

i agree with windsor/valveking/randall rg50tc/fallen angel suggestions... just need to try them. EDIT: used 5150 would be a good call too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Slayerdeath
i own a Line 6 Spider II 75 HD with the line 6 4 X 12 cab.... it`s loud and cheap i like it more then the Mashall MG100FX, the head and cab cost me $700 brand new Candian. i couldn`t find any USED Marshalls for that price.

I love my Line 6 it sounds Awesome with my Warlock with EMG 85/81`s, i play Mostly Slayer in Eb tuning.... i did notice if you play in B... (i f`in hate B tuning anyway) the Head doesn`t like it too much. But it doesn`t have a problem doing C# for Newer Slayer.

if i did it again though.... as much as i love my 75 HD i`d probly go with the 150 next time.

Although i`m gonna get a Marshall JCM 800 for my next amp but i`m poor and the head alone cost $2200

Why would you ever buy one of those things????
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
hmm that randall rg50tc seems nice for the price, but I can't even crank my classic 30 in my room, so how would I be able to get heavy distortion out of it at a bedroom volume? Attenuator?

hmm, if I can push out a little more dough I might go for that with an attenuator, or the laney GH50L.

thing is, those are pushing into more volume/headroom than I need lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
it has a lot of preamp gain, you should be able to get a heavy distortion at low volumes... though you're right in that it should sound better at louder volumes. the main problem is, very few low wattage amps are aimed at modern metal tones, they're normally aimed at vintage tones.

So while you can crank them more easily, they may be less able to achieve a high gain tone than a higher-wattage, more modern-sounding amp with more pre-amp gain, turned down a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by spiroth10
hmm that randall rg50tc seems nice for the price, but I can't even crank my classic 30 in my room, so how would I be able to get heavy distortion out of it at a bedroom volume? Attenuator?

hmm, if I can push out a little more dough I might go for that with an attenuator, or the laney GH50L.

thing is, those are pushing into more volume/headroom than I need lol.

the thing is, an attenuator isnt meant to make your 100 amp sound like your 15 watter and bedroom volumes. when youre using that much attenuation it sucks absolutely all of the response and signal out. youre left with something that sounds awful, brittle, and undynamic. its just meant for guys depending on those 100 watters to get a tad bit more crunch at loud volume levels. not the other way around.
also true.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd say go for a used peavey 5150. should be able to find one in good condition in your pricerange, and it can do the br00talz pretty well. then you could keep your classic for cleans and lighter stuff, and a/b the two (though that might be annoying for to lug around and set up when gigging).
I know you guys are going to steer me away from it, but a friend of mine bought a really cheap crate half stack, and I actually really like the way it sounds.

There is an issue with it though, the cab it comes with doesn't give you the full wattage (wired at different Ohms) but I still think it sounded great, and its well within my budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796

I say I should get the head and buy a different better cab for it.

or I could go for the next one up:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW120HS-120W-HalfStack?sku=481416

I hate to say it, but I'm a SS fan for distorted/shred tones. Nothing beats tube for a classic sound, but I just don't get the response/sound I want from tubes for distortion. Its also a + that I can use it at lower volume.

I may buy the first half-stack, because although its wired for 20 less watts than the head, I really don't need that 20 watts -- its gonna be too loud as it is lol. I liked the way it sounded.

I can also just wait till the speakers blow or die for some reason, and just replace them with better ones down the line.

I'm sorry to disagree with all you, but I actually wanna go solid state with this amp, and I liked the sound of the crate, unlike many many other people.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Used Mesa Boogie F-50
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Now, as far as solid state amps, how would this be (the head +cab are about $800 together, more than I wanna spend really, but whatever, I guess I could save more)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Supreme-XL-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481395
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Supreme-XL-412-4x12-Amp-Cabinet?sku=481022&src=3WFRWXX

or would saving up for an XXL used on ebay be better?

how do these compare to the crate heads gain wise (I actually like the GT1200H head's tone, and its much cheaper)

I heard the sound samples on Musiciansfriend for the XXL and it sounded awesome, but you can never trust those damn things lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q