I'm thinking about buying, actually almsot positive I'm buying, a Standard Fender Fretless J-Bass in Midnight Wine
I was just looking for some info about the bass if anyone has played or owns it
sinan90 owns one i think.

Send him a PM maybe.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
go to your local music store and check one out.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
What are your questions about it?
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Well, my problem with it is the fact that it has fretlines AND side dots that are ON the fret-lines in a position where they'd be if the bass DIDN'T have fret-lines. To me, looking at the side of the neck makes me cross-eyed. The Jaco Artist sig has that too... dammut!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yep, that's the idea.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Well, my problem with it is the fact that it has fretlines AND side dots that are ON the fret-lines in a position where they'd be if the bass DIDN'T have fret-lines. To me, looking at the side of the neck makes me cross-eyed. The Jaco Artist sig has that too... dammut!

Ummm, the standard doesn't, don't know about the Jaco Artist sig. If you needed picture evidence I'll find my camera.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Ummm, the standard doesn't, don't know about the Jaco Artist sig. If you needed picture evidence I'll find my camera.

All the Standards I played had their fret dots right on the fret marker lines.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
All the Standards I played had their fret dots right on the fret marker lines.

Every standard I've played has been dots in the standard place in between frets.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
Every standard I've played has been dots in the standard place in between frets.

Strange... I played 3 + the Jaco sig.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Strange... I played 3 + the Jaco sig.

I've done 3 MIM and 1 MIJ and the dots have been the same. Strange indeed.
Founder of Jaco society

i have mine in black with a touch of relic, and yea overall their great. you can get that great warm sound with both pups on or a wicked fretless growl with just the bridge pup on. its a great bass to get. essential
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by bderivan
so with fretless you just would put your finger were the dot is?

If there's no lines the dots are in line with where the frets should be, so you put you're finger in line with the dot. If there's lines you put your finger where the lines are, although the tuning isn't perfect so you might want to be just one side or other from the lines.
Founder of Jaco society

Slapping never sounds too great on a fretless because the distinctive sound is due to the strings hitting the metal frets.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
Slapping never sounds too great on a fretless because the distinctive sound is due to the strings hitting the metal frets.

It has a bit of a flabby sound, IMHO. But then again, I'm no Les Claypool when it comes to slapping on a fretless.
Slapping can work on a fretless but it's not a conventional slap sound. It's an entirely different sound, so if you go in expecting the same or similar tone to a fretted bass, you will be very disappointed.
actually its a different question. I was referring to the schecter studio-4, i had found it was uncoated myself.

i should just make an "InvaderRen's search for a new bass" thread, heh

EDIT:

After a few days, i finally got word back from fender:

Hello,
Thanks for writing in. The neck is finished in satin polyurethane. It
is not going to be a thick, glossy coat. It is a very thin layer of
finish. We hope this will help you out.

Best Regards,

Jeff Krause
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
Consumer Relations Department
(480) 596-7195
www.fender.com
www.myspace.com/fender
Last edited by InvaderRen at Dec 5, 2007,
Well, I happen to have one myself, looking damn sexy in brown sunburst with a black pickguard. All in all, I love this bass, and don't regret buying it for a second. My only complaints are fairly minor, and easily fixed. First and foremost is the bridge, but seeing as how its a Fender bridge, that's no surprise. It just doesn't cut it, there's absolutely no sustain on the bass because of it. I've played one with a BadAss on it though and voila, problem solved. Secondly are the pickups. Don't get me wrong, they're great pickups, work perfectly well and sound good, but I just have to be difficult and want something a bit different.

Really the only problem on it is the bridge, which is the same on and MIM Fender. Other than that, its a great choice and a lovely bass.

Quote by thefitz

I hate to say it, but as you can see in this picture of my MIM Fender fretless Jazz Bass, you are, in fact, mistaken. The dots are in the same position where they'd be on a fretted bass.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/Fett13/Random%20Crap/Bass%20Pics/PC110015.jpg
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
^Strange, man. I've played a few and the dots were where the frets are. The 2 Jaco sigs I've played at the same thing, too. Hmm. Maybe only new ones have the dots on the lines?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by InvaderRen

After a few days, i finally got word back from fender:

Hello,
Thanks for writing in. The neck is finished in satin polyurethane. It
is not going to be a thick, glossy coat. It is a very thin layer of
finish. We hope this will help you out.

Best Regards,

Jeff Krause
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
Consumer Relations Department
(480) 596-7195
www.fender.com
www.myspace.com/fender

The neck is finished, but he didn't say anything about the fingerboard. They're two entirely different things. Maybe he was using the wrong terminology, more likely, he's talking about the neck and you're asking about the fingerboard.
Quote by thefitz
^Strange, man. I've played a few and the dots were where the frets are. The 2 Jaco sigs I've played at the same thing, too. Hmm. Maybe only new ones have the dots on the lines?

Could be, though it have to be more than 2-3 years old, I've seen a few going back a couple years at least that had the dots where they normally are. I just know for sure what mine looks like, and seeing as how I have photographic evidence and I'm a well-known egocentric asshole, I say that makes me a better person somehow. Or something. Yeah.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.