When I pick an open string on guitar there is a harmonic like noise caused by the string vibrating between the nut and the tuner, I am wondering if this is a problem or not?

Thanks for any help.
Maybe your tuner is loose? If your pickups don't pick it up, I wouldn't consider it a problem.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Thanks but I am sure it's not the tuner, I think it might be the angle the strings make over the nut, any thoughts?
What guitar is it?
Easiest tip is to put some velcro over the strings behind the nut. Totally eliminates string vibrations
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I've always had that problem with the G string on strats and teles. I usually just add a small strip of felt behind the nut under the strings. This also pads the end of the fretboard and keeps it from getting damaged when I do behind the nut bends.
I'm sure I heard it can reduce sustain or someting along the lines of that, but I also heard that it is a good thing, which is slightly confusing.

Thanks for the help.
Oh yeah...I almost forgot that I had a MM Silhouette copy a while back that did the same thing on the G. The padding solved that one too. Any sympathetic vibration that is not being caused by recurrent energy (feedback) will rob sustain, but the difference is hardly noticed. Dampening these vibrations will help improve this behavior, but you only stand to gain a few hundred milliseconds on your sustain.
Quote by no. 380059
When I pick an open string on guitar there is a harmonic like noise caused by the string vibrating between the nut and the tuner, I am wondering if this is a problem or not?

Thanks for any help.

You can hear them vibrations on Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Riviera Paradise".
Quote by ColdGin
You can hear them vibrations on Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Riviera Paradise".

Those sounds are from picking behind the nut. That's a whole different thing.
stuff a piece of sponge there or tape the strings together. I used to have that problem with one of my old guitars.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers