hello, ive had a problem with understanding why guitars are so overpriced in australia. the gibson explorer retails for $2599 in australia, and retails for $1500 or $1600 in the US.

1.00 AUD = 0.916422 USD

so in the US it retails for 1,636.80 AUD roughly. So why does the australian retail price add on $1000? sure they have to import it, but $1000?

why dont australians just import their guitars from the US? i can get a gibson imported from a US online music store and pay $1300 AUD in total including shipping.

i dont understand it. Are there any australians here who have a gibson explorer? can you tell me how much you paid? coz i've only found the aus retail price online, havent actually found any explorers in any stores yet.
They're made in America, they're shipped to Australia. If you can get one cheaper by importing it, then import it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ +1

also, it'd be remiss of me if I didn't mention edwards somewhere in this post. So I will. Edwards.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i was gonna order off guitar centre or music123 because form there site it seemed as though they'd ship internationally, but thats for only some procucts, not gibson. Just like all the other online stores. Damn gibson, making australians pay ridiculous prices. ill have to ebay it.
Because of that faggot john howard
/rant

EDIT:On the topic,I think that you should just buy here,If you import (well at least anything more than over $1000) you will have to pay huge shipping and customs fees.Try bargaining with the shop owner and also,look online http://www.guitar.com.au/ is a good,reputable site.If you tell them you see a cheaper price online and they could match/beat it.You would save about $500 which is nothing compared to the US retail prices but overall,with all the shipping and customs fees,it would be cheaper to buy here.

Hope it helps
Last edited by timo1 at Oct 30, 2007,
yer i hate it how guitars are so much more expensive when i saw the prices on music123 compared to what we payed here it was bs
Dude DONT import from america unless its under 1 grand.

Reason is our free trade agreement only works for individual items priced at 1000 or less. Which is a good thing. We used to have to pay taxes and extra crap.

Dude on musicswopshop.com they have an awesome japanese explorer 82' for sale.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
From memory those music stores mention arent allowed by gibson and some companies to send the gibsons internationally for whatever reasons... Maybe ebay works for u ? but if the item is not markd as a gift then you would have to pay tax/custom fees i believe...
But yeh ausies cant get a bargain at all.. thats why im working in Oz and i just go back to indonesia when i need to buy stuff like a guitar which i am planning to buy soon...
But not sure how i can carry a cabinet... might just buy the head in indo and buy cabinet here..
Quote by UrMomsMom
From memory those music stores mention arent allowed by gibson and some companies to send the gibsons internationally for whatever reasons...

thats right, also fender does the same exact thing. And like Dave said, get an edwards if you can find one. Equal, if not better quality then gibson, but with a much, much cheaper price tag.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

^

I'm obviously not too well up on australian pricing, but my edwards cost me about one third of what a gibson les paul standard costs. I haven't tried a LP standard in a while, but I tried that new gibson les paul classic antique recently, which is almost as expensive as a LP standard, and my edwards is nicer (IMO of course).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?