I've never used a Pod 2.0 before, but was wondering if they maintain a guitar's original tone and characteristics. For example, if I played a Pod with a high-end $4000 Les Paul, would there be a big difference in tone, compared to playing the Pod with a cheap beginner guitar?

Or does the Pod color the tone so much with its modelling, that differences in guitar tone don't matter too much?
Whether your guitar is a high-end 4k Les Paul or a cheap $50 beginner's strat copy, Pod's mostly sound pretty lame.
With a LOT of tweaking it's possible to get them sounding good, but it's not worth the time or effort.
Your Les Paul deserves better than a Pod.
^pretty ballsy statement there. i must ask, have you ever owned a pod? and "i played it once at a friend's/guitar center" doesnt count as an own.
I have a Pod XT sat right next to me, and I've had it for over a year.
It took me way much more time and effort to dial in a genuinely nice tone.

Once I got a few nice tones that I was happy with, it became a much nicer item to own and use, great for recording too, admittedly. But it REALLY does take way too much ****ing effort to get something that isnt a fuzzy, hissy, sloppy, distant sounding mess.

And this guy owns a Peavey Valveking, yeah, not the most versatile of amps, but it doesn't take much to sound better than a Pod.
ever figure you just suck at tweaking? i mean, multi-fx just dont work for some people. ive heard them used live quite a bit, and theyve always sounded quite decent.
I have an XT and it does a great job. it takes a while to tweak out a tone, but anything worth hearing does. IMO, it takes just as much tweaking miking an amp. positions, axis, compression, EQ'ing.. and if you toss another mic into the mix, then you have to watch for phase cancellation.

saying it takes too long to tweak for a good tone isn't a valid enough reason to write off trying out a pod.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Dream Pin
The guy's got a ****ing Valveking, what's the point in making a perfectly nice tube amp sound solidstate?

now youre just being ignorant. im guessing he should get a fulltone ocd, and a memory man huh?
Ummm.... can someone answer my question please?

I'm not getting a Pod expecting it to sound like $5000 equipment. I know its digital modeling, and I'm cool with that. I just need it to practice at quiet volumes because I live in an apartment, and can't turn up my amp to levels I like. I love my Valveking, it's great, but doesn't suit my use in an apartment with thin walls. And I don't mind spending time for tweaking.

All I'm asking is if a Pod keeps a guitar's original tone. If I play with an expensive Strat, does it sound like a Strat, or will it just sound the same as any other guitar?
I really don't know, but if I had to guess: The difference beetween guitars won't be that clear. It'll probably be there, tho. Line 6 gear isn't THAT bad.
Quote by Bling Dogg
Ummm.... can someone answer my question please?

I'm not getting a Pod expecting it to sound like $5000 equipment. I know its digital modeling, and I'm cool with that. I just need it to practice at quiet volumes because I live in an apartment, and can't turn up my amp to levels I like. I love my Valveking, it's great, but doesn't suit my use in an apartment with thin walls. And I don't mind spending time for tweaking.

All I'm asking is if a Pod keeps a guitar's original tone. If I play with an expensive Strat, does it sound like a Strat, or will it just sound the same as any other guitar?

i'm in the same situation as you!. i'm in an apartment in with really crappy soundproofing. (i can hear other couples argue all the time and ****, babies crying)
so guitar amps of any size are out of the question. even microcubes and what not.

anyway. pickup configurations will be easily distinguished between when its between a humbucker and a single coil. some differences like between humbuckers will be harder to hear.. but i have problems hearing the differences between 2 different humbuckers thru an amp anyway.
Your guitar will still sound like your guitar. I have the Pod Xt live. friends have been over to try it out and there's probably been 15 or 16 different guitars plugged into it in the last month.. Each guitar retained it's uniqueness. I do understand the one posters complaint about setup. I bought a Dvd that specifically covers the use of the Pod series and that was the best money I ever spent. Within a few hours I was getting some killer tones across the entire spectrum of music not just metal or blues or whatever. The thing about the Pod is you have to know how to use it. Once you do, it's a kickass pedal.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Your guitar will still sound like your guitar. I have the Pod Xt live. friends have been over to try it out and there's probably been 15 or 16 different guitars plugged into it in the last month.. Each guitar retained it's uniqueness. I do understand the one posters complaint about setup. I bought a Dvd that specifically covers the use of the Pod series and that was the best money I ever spent. Within a few hours I was getting some killer tones across the entire spectrum of music not just metal or blues or whatever. The thing about the Pod is you have to know how to use it. Once you do, it's a kickass pedal.

mind uh.. letting us "borrow" that dvd? XD

OH, and i'd reccomend getting the XT over the 2.0

there's just a lot more horsepower in the XT than in the 2.0 and for probably very little price difference.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Oct 28, 2007,
i couldnt give you an answer because i havent extensively used a pod, but my experience in using things like GuitarRig has been that they do tend to make the guitar quite anonymous, it felt like changing pickup positions and adjusting my tone control didnt really change the sound through it much. but who knows...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
If you need a good silent practice tool or want a ton of sounds but don't have a lot of money, the POD sounds pretty good for what it is and costs. It's not going to replace tube amps for most people, and it sure as hell won't replace real effects, but it's certainly a good option, especially if you're the kind of person who is going to use chorus and flange all of once a month.

To actually answer the question: no, the POD will not allow your original tone to shine through. Modeling amps in general are very bad at this IMO.
thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that the POD will change a guitar's original tone. It's too bad that it does, but I'll just have to deal with that once I get my new guitar. I'm still going to get the pocket pod for sure. I'd rather be able to play with the decent sound it gives, than to not play at all. For practicing it'll serve its purpose. And I'll always still have my real amp for whenever I get the chance to play louder.