should i wright songs by look looking at a key and seeing if it stays in a key or write what sounds good even if its not in a specified key?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
umm usually it sounds good if its in the same key, but i guess you dont have to stay in key?
just close your eyes adn play the colors you see like hendrix did
if you manage to make something that sounds good, chances are it probably does stay mostly to a particular key
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
it really depends..... its gonna sound bad if you go out of key, but it could be the sound your going for. my bad writes some really heavy diminished almost primus-like songs, and a lot of stuff sounds out of key, but thats what fits the song
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Its always nice to stay in the same key, though it gets boring after awhile. You need to explore deeper into your songs and see what sounds good. Its always fun to go out of key (and if it sounds good, then even better!).
Quote by lua4x
should i wright songs by look looking at a key and seeing if it stays in a key or write what sounds good even if its not in a specified key?

just write in the key first, then if it sounds not-quite-right, fix it.

get Finale Notepad, it's awesome for trying stuff out.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
There no right way of writing songs really but usually when you write something it should be in the right key otherwise it may sound odd but if you like what your making, don't stop because of the opinions of other people. It's your music.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Do what sounds good. CHANGE keys during the song if you want.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
remember that theory isnt a rule, its a guideline. Sure if you stay in the guideline, it will be proven to sound more melodic and such, but you never know what you might come up with. Or, If you are really good, pick random notes, consider their intervals keeping in mind diatonics and harmonic scales, and make the notes work yourself. Ive noticed danny elfman actually does that a good bit.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Writing in key will mean nearly always the notes will sound "right". However going out of key for dissonance, or making it sound a bit "wrong" to create tension makes the music more interesting in a lot of people's opinion.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.