I'm Think Bout Gettin A New Guitar Here Soon, An I'm Having A Problem Deciding Wither I Want A Les Paul Or A SG.

Please Help
----------------------------------
My Gear-
Black And White Crate Fat Strat
Black Yamaha AE500
Blue Aria Acoustic
Crate VTX30B
Behringer HBO1 Hellbabe
Clayton .80mm Picks
Levy's Strap
play them both and make a choice

simple
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
what style of music do you play

my instant reaction is SG, but thats just cos i own one
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
Really depends what kind of SG or Les Paul you plan to get...

I would say SG, as long as it's not a Gibson Special, cause IMO, those suck some serious anoos.
Don't Capitalize Every Word.

You're going to have to play them both. The point of the SG is to be a more comfortable, thinner, lighter than the les paul while still retaining the mahogany tone and sustain.

Les Pauls are built the way they are for a reason. They have a signature tone. Dark, full bodied, sustaining, and versatile. Not even Les Paul copies can quite get the real Les Paul tone but they're pretty close.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
How's your back? An LP can be very heavy. They're a little more expensive too but they do get you that LP tone. Also, upper fret access is a little worse. An SG is lighter and has better fret access but they also won't sound like an LP. Not that that is a bad thing. SGs are also neck heavy, they tend to droop toward the headstock when you let go of them. They're both pretty awesome. Do what the first reply guy said and play a few of each. There's not much more to it than that.
i play like 80's 90's rock, 80's metal, an some of todays newer music, an i plan to get an epiphone brand of either one
My Gear-
Black Yamaha AE500
Blue Aria Acoustic
Crate VTX30B
Behringer HBO1 Hellbabe
Clayton .80mm Picks
Levy's Strap
Quote by Comfortablylomb
How's your back? An LP can be very heavy. They're a little more expensive too but they do get you that LP tone. Also, upper fret access is a little worse. An SG is lighter and has better fret access but they also won't sound like an LP. Not that that is a bad thing. SGs are also neck heavy, they tend to droop toward the headstock when you let go of them. They're both pretty awesome. Do what the first reply guy said and play a few of each. There's not much more to it than that.

The Gibson SG's I've played aren't neck heavy at all.
Epi Lp Custom-->Ernie Ball VPJR-->Visual Sound Jekyll And Hyde-->Boss TU-2-->Boss Tr-2-->ISP Decimator-->Dan-Electro Reel Echo-->MXR Micro Amp-->Laney VC-30 2x10

The Cubists
Quote by MESAexplorer
Not even Les Paul copies can quite get the real Les Paul tone but they're pretty close.

I don't see why not. A mahogany body with a carved maple cap, a mahogany neck with a rosewood cap, all built to the same specs, with the same electronics in it should sound the same. There's not much aura or mystique in there, just design.
haha well i'm 16 years old, i think my back can handle it for a lil while, but i do know that LPs are heavy
My Gear-
Black Yamaha AE500
Blue Aria Acoustic
Crate VTX30B
Behringer HBO1 Hellbabe
Clayton .80mm Picks
Levy's Strap
Quote by Epiphone_Player
i play like 80's 90's rock, 80's metal, an some of todays newer music, an i plan to get an epiphone brand of either one

If you plan on getting an Epiphone Les Paul, go ahead and look into Agile or Michael Kelly. They are much higher quality for about the same price or less.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Epiphone brand, youll need to make sure you try whichever one you are gonna buy, due to not quite so good quality control, and stay away from specials
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
How does LP do metal?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
whats the matter with specials ?
My Gear-
Black Yamaha AE500
Blue Aria Acoustic
Crate VTX30B
Behringer HBO1 Hellbabe
Clayton .80mm Picks
Levy's Strap
Quote by CommanderCool6
The Gibson SG's I've played aren't neck heavy at all.

Not saying they're heavy at all, just that they tend to droop toward the headstock. At least when the strap goes to the spot just behind the neck.
Quote by Epiphone_Player

Do NOT get a special of either, or a Studio Les Paul if you're getting Epi, they blow.
yeah, you'd probably have to try them out.. it's more about feel between those two... they are similar instruments. but the shape and feel is the major difference... the Tone is different too.. but not to a HUGE extent. LP with have better sustain, but not to say the SG wont have pretty good sustain. the neck on SG's are heavier, some people don't care for it.
Quote by punk_rock_isaac
Epiphone brand, youll need to make sure you try whichever one you are gonna buy, due to not quite so good quality control, and stay away from specials

There are some really nice Epiphones... if you can stomach the headstock.
Quote by Broken-pick
How does LP do metal?

why wouldnt u be able to ? its a guitar, it has everything you need
to be able to duhhh
My Gear-
Black Yamaha AE500
Blue Aria Acoustic
Crate VTX30B
Behringer HBO1 Hellbabe
Clayton .80mm Picks
Levy's Strap
Don't try to decide on a guitar online. It never works out. If you've already narrowed it down to just these two, then go play them and see which you perfer. The internet can only do so much. It's good for finding generally what you want (pickup wise, fret wise, color wise, etc.), but you've gotta see which feels/sounds best for you.
Quote by Epiphone_Player
whats the matter with specials ?

The quality control is thought to be a little lacking. As long as you look it over really carefully I think you can do well with a special. Badly set frets (real issue) and sharp fret ends (easily fixable) tend to be the common problems I think.
Quote by srv2112
Don't try to decide on a guitar online. It never works out. If you've already narrowed it down to just these two, then go play them and see which you perfer. The internet can only do so much. It's good for finding generally what you want (pickup wise, fret wise, color wise, etc.), but you've gotta see which feels/sounds best for you.

i would never order online but i do get what your saying thanks
My Gear-
Black Yamaha AE500
Blue Aria Acoustic
Crate VTX30B
Behringer HBO1 Hellbabe
Clayton .80mm Picks
Levy's Strap
Les Paul -

Pros - Warmer tone with the humbuckers, and also delivers a nice fat tone - looks nice too

Cons - Heavy, and kinda small

SG - Killer Look, light, can give a punchy sorta in your face sound

Cons - not everyone enjoys the body shape, also doesnt beliver the same warmth that the LP does.

I'm an SG owner and I have to say it was the right choice for me.

Good luck choosing!
What ever you go for you should try the one you buy. While you are trying the Epiphones also try the Gibson models that will give you some idea how the epi could sound with a better set of pickups. I just recently bought an Epiphone G400 I tried many epiphones and a few Gibsons before I settled on the Epi G400. The some of the epiphones I tried did not feel so good sharp frets and some felt great. I prefered the G400 (SG copy) to the LP copies. The Gibsons were just to expensive for me but they were very nice. You probably will want to change the pickups in the Epiphone afer a while. I just swapped the pickups in the G400 for a set of Seymour Duncan 59's and now it just great. I knew I would change the pups when I bought the G400 but I never imagined they would make such a difference. I play through a moddified valve junior and with the original pups I had to use an EQ pedal or a bad monkey just to boost the treble with the 59s I don't need anything. There are better pups than the 59s I don't doubt that but I am very happy with them.
sg's suck
1997 Gibson les paul standard
fender jag-stang
1985 ibanez pro line series
marshall tsl 60
danelectro free speech talkbox
boss me-50
boss ac2 acoustic simulator
boss ds1
boss chorus ensemble
boss mt2 metal zone
dunlop orginal wah
Quote by furlong2669
sg's suck

was that supposed to be funny?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.