Ive got a yamaha erg121 and its totally wicked now ive re-painted it and put in new electrics! But now I have started to listen 2 steve vai and the dives he does are amazing! And I cant do it, cuz I have THE crappiest whammy bar system ever!!!!!!
Where, how and why can I install a floyd rose trem?
gear:
Yamaha ERG 121 (new paint job, new strings, new pickups, new electronics!)
Washburn HB 30, sunburst finish.
yamaha amp (came with guitar)
It'll cost you a lot though.
1)Get a floyd rose of guitarpartsdepot or something.
2)Get a guitar shop to replace the nut, route the guitar for the floyd(I dont think the pacificas are thick enough for a floyd though?) and install the floyd
3)Learn to never want to drop tune again...:P

OR an easier but even more expensive option is to get a kahler trem.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I think you know why...? Surely? Lol.

To install a FR you need use a router to make the necessary holes in your guitar. You could probably pay someone to do it for you, but it will likely be expensive, on top the cost of the Floyd. You could do it yourself... how adventurous are you feeling?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I have a Kahler locking tremolo, and locking nut on my HM Strat. That thing never goes out of tune. I mean, NEVER. But the Kahlers aren't "drop-in" replacements either, are they? The Kahlers require routing, too, don't they?
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by LEVEL4
I have a Kahler locking tremolo, and locking nut on my HM Strat. That thing never goes out of tune. I mean, NEVER. But the Kahlers aren't "drop-in" replacements either, are they? The Kahlers require routing, too, don't they?

kahlers require a lot less routing than a floyd
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Grimpenguin
get a bigsby xD much easier and they dont require routing.

except a bigsby would look seriously out of place, they dont have anywhere near the tuning stability and they are a royal pain in the ass to restring.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
except a bigsby would look seriously out of place, they dont have anywhere near the tuning stability and they are a royal pain in the ass to restring.

true, true... but still a bigsby or vibrola is the easiest way to go, and you could get locking tuners and a locking nut.
Now let me tell ya, theres nothing like having a good old Floyd rose at your side, but do you really want to go through with all of the trouble of making your current ax fully compatible? It would be quite expensive to have such things done for you.

Now by all means go for it, if thats what you really want. But consider getting a new ax, which would automatically agree with having a Floyd installed, at least if $$ isn't an issue. Or hell, what about a custom build even? That would be fun, if you'd be comfortable with that. I'm just saying consider the options and weigh them with the dough you'll be shelling out to mod your current ax.

And to clear up some misconceptions about FR's... Just cause you have one, doesn't mean you cant change your tuning. I don't think many know about it, but theres something called the "Tremol-no" device. It's pretty awesome, and I'm definitely going to include it in my future custom build. Basically, it lets you choose between 3 modes. Full floating, dive only, and hard tail mode, which is sweet. It cost around $60 but would be an incredible investment for anyone with a good floating bridge.

Heres a pretty cool informational video about it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2vRBFmx4ak

You'll want it once you watch that video :p
Quote by SamZee
Now let me tell ya, theres nothing like having a good old Floyd rose at your side, but do you really want to go through with all of the trouble of making your current ax fully compatible? It would be quite expensive to have such things done for you.

Now by all means go for it, if thats what you really want. But consider getting a new ax, which would automatically agree with having a Floyd installed, at least if $$ isn't an issue. Or hell, what about a custom build even? That would be fun, if you'd be comfortable with that. I'm just saying consider the options and weigh them with the dough you'll be shelling out to mod your current ax.

And to clear up some misconceptions about FR's... Just cause you have one, doesn't mean you cant change your tuning. I don't think many know about it, but theres something called the "Tremol-no" device. It's pretty awesome, and I'm definitely going to include it in my future custom build. Basically, it lets you choose between 3 modes. Full floating, dive only, and hard tail mode, which is sweet. It cost around $60 but would be an incredible investment for anyone with a good floating bridge.

Heres a pretty cool informational video about it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2vRBFmx4ak

You'll want it once you watch that video :p

^^about the tremolno, you can only change your tunings without a setup in the dive-only and hardtail mode. However if you've changed the tunings ad then change to full-floating it will wonk out and you'll need to either return to the tuning it was set up for or set it up again.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions, I am thinking of getting an Ibanez RG prestige 2250E I think thats what its called but I only have £350 dammit!

Oh and i am also thinking of starting a build but at the mo im 2 poor
gear:
Yamaha ERG 121 (new paint job, new strings, new pickups, new electronics!)
Washburn HB 30, sunburst finish.
yamaha amp (came with guitar)
Last edited by Innocrested at Oct 28, 2007,
Id get a Kahler top-loading trem instead of a FR. Listen to some Slayer, Kerry King has a Kahler. In the Angel of Death solo especially.
kalhers are the way to go, man i played hundreds of guitars with floyds. im not saying floyd rose trems suck, their good trem. but kahlers are sooo much better lol they dont go out of tune, no matter how many dive bomes or pull ups you do, it wont fail you. i have a kahler on every guitar i own. except a fender strat which has an original floyd, & my prized gibson les paul custom. & wat makes them even better is that there this bolt that u can screw in that will make it a fixed bridge
I can say only that FR is a bitch to set-up... If you don't like pulling your hair out of your head, or scream "Holy Motherf***in Sonofabitch ***** Piece of Metal S**t!!" then go with the Kahler. Belive me...
Quote by Grimpenguin
get a bigsby xD much easier and they dont require routing.

can't do dive bombs on a bigsby, and i think that's what really interested the TS
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I need to play on some Kahlers to get to know that feel. I know if you just want cheap and slightly more reliable whammy action, you can always pick up a Mighty Mite for $40. Not the best, but probably still better than your current setup.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free