For the past few weeks I have had a problem. Something, either my cable, guitar, or amp is shorting out. I will be playing and all of a sudden my volume will go down really low and sometimes cut out all together. When it comes back, itll be kind of crackly and then return to normal. I have noticed that sometimes it shorts out when I switch pickups. I have tried two different (yet same kind of) cables and they both do it. I still really don't trust my cables though. What can be the problem?

if it makes a difference, I am probably going to get a lava cable soon
Maybe it's a problem with the wiring inside your guitar? That's happened to me before. You just have to solder the wire back into the place.

There's a good chance it's your amp though, what kind do you have?

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Quote by screamsoftly
Maybe it's a problem with the wiring inside your guitar? That's happened to me before. You just have to solder the wire back into the place.

There's a good chance it's your amp though, what kind do you have?

I have an epiphone sheraton II, a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, and a CBI Cable

EDIT: and someone telling me its my amp is the last thing i wanna hear
I've heard Epi's have notoriously crappy switches. I would look there first. Try getting some contact cleaner worked onto the switch pads/contacts.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
all it has to do is have a bad contact point, where it's getting an intermittent connection. Try the contact cleaner or a different guitar first if you have one. If that's not the problem, then it could be something with your amp or cables, but the switching pups thing you mentioned makes me think switch.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I've heard Epi's have notoriously crappy switches. I would look there first. Try getting some contact cleaner worked onto the switch pads/contacts.

a good 75% of guitars are shipped out with inferior electronic components. in fact, youd be surprised how good the stock epi pickups sounded if you just swapped out for quality pots and a quality jack.
he should replace the electronics immediately.