I am in no way setting a time on myself but.

It seems like I never improve, in about a year would it be likely that I would get semi good?

Also, is there anything I should know before I go learn a bunch of power tab songs?
Nothing wrong with learning power chord songs, but if you really want to get better, practice something challenging.
I'm a communist. Really.
I've been playing a little more than a year and I still suck
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
This is an impossible question to answer.

Firstly, everyone has their own definition of what 'good' is. A guy who just wants to be able to strum a few chords for his friends to sing along to at a party, and a guy who wants to be the next Steve Vai have very different goals, and accordingly, they have a different idea of where they'd like to be in a year's time.

Also, it's a bit like asking 'in one year, would it be hard to get good at painting or sculpting?' The answer is entirely dependent on your own enthusiasm, dedication, organisation, spare time, talent, etc. If you've really got the will to acheive your aims (assuming that they're fairly realistic) in a year, then you will acheive your aims in a year. If you don't, then you won't.

It's perfectly possible for a guy who's only been playing for a year to sound better than a guy who's been playing for decades.
Quote by Serotonin

Firstly, everyone has their own definition of what 'good' is. A guy who just wants to be able to strum a few chords for his friends to sing along to at a party, and a guy who wants to be the next Steve Vai have very different goals, and accordingly, they have a different idea of where they'd like to be in a year's time.

Also, it's a bit like asking 'in one year, would it be hard to get good at painting or sculpting?' The answer is entirely dependent on your own enthusiasm, dedication, organisation, spare time, talent, etc. If you've really got the will to acheive your aims (assuming that they're fairly realistic) in a year, then you will acheive your aims in a year. If you don't, then you won't.

It's perfectly possible for a guy who's only been playing for a year to sound better than a guy who's been playing for decades.

Very true. I used to know a guy who had played for seven years and could not play
the intro or verse to Master of Puppets, which I can play fairly easily at one andd a half years. Also, some people are better in different areas than others.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by MxPxPanic
I am in no way setting a time on myself but.

It seems like I never improve, in about a year would it be likely that I would get semi good?

Also, is there anything I should know before I go learn a bunch of power tab songs?

Master the basics, trust me. Then the rest will be easy. Yea, don't set time on yourself or you'll be disappointed. If you aren't improving, ask yourself "how much am I practicing and studying?" It took me almost 15 years to get where I am right now and I can play almost anything when I try.
I am at my one year point and while I may not fill a stadium, I hold my own . In all seriousness though, I am tons better than I was last year. I recorded some of my lame playing last year and listen to it for inspiration. I am soooo much better than I was last year. I have spent an average of 1-3 hours a day practicing. I love it but it can be a bitch of a mistress if you let it.

Chris
Quote by Serotonin

amen haha
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
put up a sign on your wall that says taht you cant play guitar

it'll motivate you (i know, i stole it :P)

in all seriousness ^that helps. i tell my self that all the time and for some reason it motivates me to play better. if you feel that your not improving, just try playing a song that sounds like a challenge and try learning the theory behind it.

ex:

if your learning a solo, learn what scale its in, what the chord progression in the song is, what techniques are used, what notes are being played, etc
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
put up a sign on your wall that says taht you cant play guitar
it'll motivate you (i know, i stole it :P)

Hmmm...kinda like reverse psychology on yourself

Chris
3 years later i still suck. it's about having fun, which is why i mostly compose
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
in a year i was to the point where people were at least semi impressed with my playing. just practice strumming different rhythms at different tempos. learn a few scales and go up and down those over and over and just improvise. a year is plenty of time to get considerably good.
i dont think so, it comes gradually as long as you have solid practice schedule like 1 - 4 hrs a day or even a week you'll be sure to improve it wont be anything drastic like 1 week or month but i think you should be fairly good by 1 year

by about 7months i was able to play crystal mountain by death fully with solo and make it sound good, if that helps you out any
Playing with people better than me, which is a lot of people right now, always pumps me up to try harder and do better. So try jamming with some more experienced players.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

yes but only if your dedicated and you know what and how to practice

learn technique and theory not songs

leanr string skipping alternate picking

and you basic scales and their box variations

like you major and minor pentatonic

this is coming from a 14 year-old

my brother made a actual list of techniques and theory to learn if i can find it i'll send it to u
Theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory.

Learn it and continue from DAY ONE.

I've spent my entire two years that I've been playing until last week playing ONLY songs. I didn't know much theory.

It's an entirely different instrument once you begin to learn theory, and knowing theory is what will truly make you a real guitarist rather than one that can play someone else's songs.

However, as stated previously, all of us have our own different goals. I know mine is to be a Thrash rhythm guitarist, and not try to score big.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
ive almost been playing for a year and I pretty much suck ...I can alternate pick and can only play some of the easier Megadeth songs (ie shewolf or countdown to extinction)...but I've only been taking lessons for about 2 months...and all I learned about was chords and arpeggios....ive taught myself alternate picking which is going pretty good...but I need to learn sweeppicking...so if you keep at it (unlike me )...you can get pretty good after a year
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.