I know it's illegal if you download free songs from the internet, but I was wondering, is it illegal to borrow a friends CD and rip it onto the computer and give it back to him?
Not illegal to download, illegal to upload, I thought.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
oh ok, cause like, the main topic no a days is illegal downloading, but thats probably been going on way before illegal downloading started.
Yes. As far as I know it's only legal to burn a copy of a CD you own for personal reasons.

For example, burning a copy for your car, so you don't have to leave the original discs in your car.

Although, know I come to think of it, I'm not even sure that that's legal......
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by eltyr18
oh ok, cause like, the main topic no a days is illegal downloading, but thats probably been going on way before illegal downloading started.

The problem people have isn't the downloading itself, it's that people acquire music without paying for it. Ripping music off a friend's CD would be no better, in their eyes.
When crying don't help
Quote by Allnightmask22
The problem people have isn't the downloading itself, it's that people acquire music without paying for it. Ripping music off a friend's CD would be no better, in their eyes.

yea, thats what I was thinking, and I'm gonna buy the cd no matters what, cause I support whats going on with this topic, I just can't get it now, so I borrowed it from a friend and ripped it.
In the UK, you're allowed to make back-up copies of music you have already bought. I'm not sure how many copies tho.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Although it's illegal, I generally download some songs of bands I've never heard before. If I like their music then I generally proceed to buy the CD. I just don't like buying blind .
Quote by eltyr18
yea, thats what I was thinking, and I'm gonna buy the cd no matters what, cause I support whats going on with this topic, I just can't get it now, so I borrowed it from a friend and ripped it.

I wouldn't worry about it; you'd need to be downloading hundreds of thousands of songs for anyone to take notice and consider legal action, and even if they did, like I said, the legal stance is that the p2p networks who give you access to pirated material are to blame, not the individual users.
When crying don't help