... and it rocks

I woke up with a severe hangover yesterday morning after a bingeful thursday, only to find there was a big yellow van outside my house. I went downstairs to investigate, my face lit up when i saw DHL on the side of the van.

A delivery man comes to the door, he knocks, I cum over my trousers, I answer the door and he says "Crawford?". "Yes" said I with a stupid grin on my face. "Sign here" So I sign frantically and the F goes halfway down the page, I then stand and watch him try to haul a big box from the back, it says ENGL, he near drops it, he doesn't it's all good and I receive my delivery.

I open that bad boy up to my gleaming new ENGL Thunder 50 (apologies if you had your hopes up for a fireball or something )

Story aside here are the specs:

This is the cheaper version of the thunder which has volume controsl for each channel (I wanted this over the reverb so that worked out well)

(Taken from the ENGL website)

THUNDER 50 DRIVE E 322
Compared to the Thunder REVERB, the DRIVE has an
additional Crunch volume control, to give the guitarist
access to all 3 channel volumes. A very punchy workhorse.
Celestion® Vintage 30 speaker on board as well. ( I didn't realize this and was pleasantly surprised when I looked in the back)

Preamp:
3 channels (3 ECC 83 preamp tubes), Clean, Crunch, Lead, single 3 band EQ, Crunch/Lead, Clean/Lead switches. Extra Crunch volume.

Master section:
Master volume, 50 watts (1 x EC83, 2 x 5881 power amp tubes.

Outputs:
Speaker outs (2 x 8, 2 x 16 Ohms), fx loop
(parallel to serial adjustable), dual footswitch jacks (Z-3/Z -4).

Speaker:
1 x 12" CelestionÆ Vintage 30 (Combo)

Dimensions & Weight:
53 x 45 x 25 cm, 18 kg

SO far I am VERY impressed with this amp, having only tried the head and combo version this sounds just as good.

The cleans are very very very nice. You can get sparkly fender or ridiculously fat cleans, supoib. I like a very bassy clean (Bass 8 Middle 6 Treble 4) and it can do jazz/blues cleans brilliantly. Also with the master volume up full and the gain knob almost all the way down you can stay pristine clean, then with a slight turn of the gain knob you get a lovely blues break up

The crunch is absolutely fantastic and completely pisses over my friends Marshall TSL. I got a brilliant UFO tone from it and a very nice Gary Moore kind of tone. for this channel I had it set (Bass 5 Middle 6/7 Treble 6)

Lead channel, now this is my only problem (it still sounds amazing) you can get up to thrash and hair metal and whatnot, this not a particularly modern amp, but I knew that when I bought it and my Korg 105od gets me there with ease and sounds great.

The construction... I think it must be made from some old german tank. Steel emblem, steel grill (some form of metal anyway), Aluminium front panel, the knobs are all solid,nice amount of resistance making it feel less cheap, tough rubber handle, steel corner things. The tubes are encased with a steel grill and the cabinet is rock solid.

Overall I'm very happy with it. I would get soundclips but currently I only have a poor webcam mic. I shall add properly recorded clips in a week when I get myself some recording gear!!

EDIT: SOUND CLIPS
Any bad EQing (provided you've nothing against my amp settings) is due to me only getting to grips with the recording gear today, apologies

#1 Lead Channel: Gain - 6/7 Bass- 9 Mid - 7 Treble - 5 Master Volume - 1 (lol)

Just a short lick from A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater, only thing added is the reverb (Holy Grail) which doesnt seem to colour the tone at all.

crimsonsunset.wav - 2.09MB

#2 Crunch Channel - same settings as above, a lot less reverb

Main riff of Rock Bottom by UFO

rockbottom.wav - 3.05MB

#3 Lead Channel - Gain - 8 Bass - 8 Mid - 8 Treble - 6 Master - 1

This was just me figuring out how to layer tracks but I think it gives a decent representation of how much gain you can get with no overdrive. Also at higher volumes then power tube saturation will kick in but I'm doing this at 11pm. Just me messing around.

randothing.wav - 1.24MB

#4 Clean Channel - Gain - 2 Bass - 8 Mid - 7/8 Treble - 4 Master - 1

Just me doing a little lead over a simple chord progression

cleanrand.wav - 2.56MB

#5 Clean Channel - Gain - 10 Bass - 8 Mid - 6 Treble - 5 Master - 1

Just some improve, the pre gain up full gives a good bluesy crunch when you can't crank the master

bluescrunch.wav - 2.95MB

Now, what you have all been waiting for PICS!!

Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Nov 1, 2007,
congrats. tahts beautiful. clips?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
someone skipped straight to the pics eh? :P
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
mmmm... thats purty
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
nothing like a new gear day. NOTHING.

enjoy.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
someone skipped straight to the pics eh? :P

Duh!

Nice amp man, looks really sweet. Congrats!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Nice man! Ive been wanting to get one of the Thunder Heads since I saw them on Musicians Friend. My only issue is only having one EQ for all 3 channels. Is that an issue to you, or have you found a good medium between all three? Because I like to play with a high gain with low mids sound, which I guess the lead channel would do (Think Metallica, Megadeth, COB type of tone) and then Im in jazz band so I need some good cleans. I love Pearl Jams clean tone, do you think you could get that versatility with the amp? Id be willing to sell my Peavey XXX for one, but the problem is that nowhere around me sells them, so I would be going in blind, so it would definatley help me to have clips of the amp.
not into their amps, but ive always dug the grilles. especially on the 2x12 cabs. now those things are SEXY.
Quote by thetoastinator
Nice man! Ive been wanting to get one of the Thunder Heads since I saw them on Musicians Friend. My only issue is only having one EQ for all 3 channels. Is that an issue to you, or have you found a good medium between all three? Because I like to play with a high gain with low mids sound, which I guess the lead channel would do (Think Metallica, Megadeth, COB type of tone) and then Im in jazz band so I need some good cleans. I love Pearl Jams clean tone, do you think you could get that versatility with the amp? Id be willing to sell my Peavey XXX for one, but the problem is that nowhere around me sells them, so I would be going in blind, so it would definatley help me to have clips of the amp.

1. I did find a good medium however i do prefer to turn the bass up for the cleans, but if i have to quickly change betwee the two mid song i'd still be happy sharing the EQ settings

2. Wait until next week and I'll get a load of clips up with a proper recording set-up. I would say it's versatile enough but you have to bear in mind I've only had it a day and my opinion could be completely different to yours. If you look on youtube there's a 9minute long video showing lots of possible sounds you can get from the thunder. The sound quality is ok, definitely worth checking out
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
awesome! where'd you get it from, thomann?

also, it didn't used to have a v30, i think that was only a recent upgrade (ditto for the screamer).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yup thoman. they didnt wrap it like a nuclear weapon as they did with *forgets name* who got the fireball. but it arrived perfectly anyway.

the first thing I did when i got the amp was turn it on and watch amps slowly glow.

it's now been on for about 4 hours straight and i'm starting to melt
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
after you've used it long enough....upload clips and pm me a review lol cuz im thinking about getting this in the future thnx
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Awesome, dude! If it sounds anything like my Engl preamp, it must sound f*cking amazing! Congrats on getting a bitchin' tube amp. And an Engl at that! Wail on, buddy!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
Yup thoman. they didnt wrap it like a nuclear weapon as they did with *forgets name* who got the fireball. but it arrived perfectly anyway.

the first thing I did when i got the amp was turn it on and watch amps slowly glow.

yeah, they do get warm... it's worth it, but gets annoying when you have to stop playing because the room's too hot!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Welcome to the ENGL family

(Pretty sure that grille is plastic though )

Quote by Storm_Bringer_

That was me
Last edited by Zakk_Wylde001 at Oct 28, 2007,
It's not. It seems far too weak to be steel though. When it first arrived it was a cold day and the grille felt the coldest, thus it is most likely due to the fact it was metal (heat conduction and all that jazz)

edit: I just successfully stuck a magnet to the grille
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
It's not. It seems far too weak to be steel though. When it first arrived it was a cold day and the grille felt the coldest, thus it is most likely due to the fact it was metal (heat conduction and all that jazz)

Sure it isn't stuck to the speaker?
I'm pretty sure my Fireball + cab have plastic grilles, maybe I'm just a moron though. Be sure to join the ENGL family

Quote by Storm_Bringer_

ah i love threads here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah i love threads here.

congrats on the amp OP
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids