Yep, that old badger again

But basically, how did you first learn the fretboard and its notes?

I'm pretty sure this would make things ALOT easier but it's a big task

Just spend a day each on one note and etc or are there any other ways of doing it?
i had a chart in the booklet of an instructional video (that was the most useful part of it!) that showed them all.

if you cant find one, try writing one out yourself
its all chromatic notes from A to G (as you no doubt guessed) with sharps (or flats, however you work it) in between every note apart from B and C, and E and F, which are next to eachother.

the 12th fret and the open string are octaves, so once you reach there you're just repeating yourself, but its worth learning past there so you're certain.
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
learn what each of the strings are, then work out the other notes on the frets by counting up notes or whatever
Why'd you have to go and let it die

Quote by master
Go join the army. It's like an FPS without the lag.

Hmmm... I use to help my singing too. I just go E (sing e) F....F# G G# A and so on, up to the 12th fret on all the strings and then when I go back I do the flats instead of sharps. So Ab instead of G#
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I found that learning to read standard notation helped me learn the fretboard pretty quickly
Notation is just how you write music down, tab is a form of it, as is musical notation (with as vai puts it, the pretty dots)

I know the names of the strings and various notes around the place, but it's just learning them well enough to say, play a riff and then know what notes i've played without having to sit for ten minutes slowly figuring out
sight read notation. at tempo. with other people watching.

pressure will force you to learn quick.
Also, practice scales and arpeggios saying the note names as you play them.
For those of you who say "learn notation/sight reading" - where would I start on doing that? :S
Well, when I first started playing my teacher showed me an easy way to memorise the fretboard. He told me to memorise the notes on the frets with fret markers on the low E and A strings. Then he showed me how the notes on the G and D strings were octaves to that of the low E and A strings, respectively. The notes on the B string were what I had to memorise.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
there is a fret board trainer at www.musictheory.net

its not how i learned, but enjoy!
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by -Vogel-
For those of you who say "learn notation/sight reading" - where would I start on doing that? :S

Get some sheet music, learn to read it at www.musictheory.net and then start learning simple songs from standard notation.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Also, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. People struggle to learn the notes because they look at the fretboard and freak out because they see 110 individual notes that they have to learn, when in reality there's only 12 you need to learn because the pattern that they follow simply keeps repeating.

Once you get your head round that it becomes a lot less daunting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com