Hi all. I'm planning to buy my first proper guitar. After looking at what feels like all of them in the known universe i've decided on an Ibanez S320. I know I will want to replace the pickups. Sorry for posting yet another "what pickup" thread, but I need some recomendations plz as I'm not sure exactly what I want (by reading the manufacturer's description).

The guitar is for rocking out mostly, I want to play everything from Muse to Santana and whatever else takes my fancy later on. I cant imagine I will ever want to shred on it tho. I will keep a strat for stuff like RHCP. Samba Pa Ti is a gorgeous song, i've never heard a guitar sing so sweetly. I think a different pickup in neck and bridge for some versitility, but sound quality / tone is what i'm after.

And yes I have a nice valve amp already

What kind of pickups should I go for? Is the S320 a good choice? I just dont like the Les Paul at all.
Last edited by Dave_M at Oct 27, 2007,
The S320 is an awesome versatile guitar. If you like the neck (it can be polarizing, as it's rounder than the normal Wizard and is quite skinny compared to other offerings), then it should treat you well with the great ZR trem and versatility of a 5 way switcher. I only wish they have a 24 fret variety.

I'm thinking a Dimarzio D-activator bridge, Humbucker from Hell neck. The neck will give you glassy tones, while the bridge gives you clear but bold bridge sound under clean (good for Santana) that's awesome and not muddy under distortion (good for Muse).
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 27, 2007,
where are you in the world? that affects prices and availability a lot... also a rough budget wouldn't hurt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
where are you in the world? that affects prices and availability a lot... also a rough budget wouldn't hurt.

rough toilet paper on the other hand....

...also, what amp have you got?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Fast_Fingers
I'm thinking a Dimarzio D-activator bridge, Humbucker from Hell neck. The neck will give you glassy tones, while the bridge gives you clear but bold bridge sound under clean (good for Santana) that's awesome and not muddy under distortion (good for Muse).

I like the sound of that combo. any more ideas, keep them coming.

I am in the UK. I bought a fulltone OCD from USA via ebay (havnt got it yet). Still alot cheaper than buying it from a shop over here. So buying local is a bonus but not a requirement.

Don't really have a budget. Cheaper is good I dont have much money, but if I can't afford what I want I will just save up for longer.

My amp is a fender blues junior. Makes my old Marshall feel like such a heap of junk.
Last edited by Dave_M at Oct 27, 2007,
Swinesheads - Warthog bridge, Condor neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ +1 i plan on buying a condor neck pup soon. the websites clips sounds great but i have no idea what it's being played through
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ +1 i plan on buying a condor neck pup soon. the websites clips sounds great but i have no idea what it's being played through

Apparently it's an AVT
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

They look and sound very decent but I wonder how do they compare to DiMarzio?

Having hand made pickups would be cool but it seems it would be cheaper and faster to have DiMarzio shiped in from the USA.
Quote by steven seagull
rough toilet paper on the other hand....

o_O

Quote by Storm_Bringer_

yep, avt is what I heard too. the soundclip is very close to the condor neck pickup tone- i'd nearly go so far to say if you like the clip, you'll probably like the pickup.

i agree with mark's suggestion of a warthog and condor. that'd be my choice for mid-priced pickups.

If you have more cash, bareknuckles or bulldogs would be worth looking into. Bareknuckles are excellent, and, while I haven't tried bulldogs, I assume they are too, as they're run by a guy who used to work for bareknuckle.

If you can't stretch to the swineys, irongears would probably be worth a look. I haven't tried them myself, but have heard good things from several people- "excellent for the money" is the general consensus, I think.

really up to you, after that- any of those companies can (and should) be emailed for more expert advice than we can give here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_M

Having hand made pickups would be cool but it seems it would be cheaper and faster to have DiMarzio shiped in from the USA.

will anyone ship dimarzios from the USA? that's your problem. these US companies like ripping us off over here, and as such like to make it difficult, if not impossible, to import them from the US.

if you ask me, any of those pickups (bar irongears) will probably annihilate dimarzios. Irongear will probably be either close to as good, as good, or slightly better (hedging my bets).

oh, i should add, irongear have a UG discount as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_M

I doubt it - first off Dimarzio have a manufacturer restriction in place that prevents retailers shipping them out.

Secondly, Dimarzios+shipping+VAT=more expensive than Swinesheads.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I have an S-classic with a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge and a PAF Joe in the neck. It's a pretty versatile set-up, and capable of playing metal pretty well. I'm not sure if the Breed might be a bit surplus to your requirements, although I think it has a really nice tone for classic rock type stuff too. The PAF Joe has some nice warm tones in the neck. A Seymour Duncan Jazz sounds beautiful in the neck too for cleans.

I've never tried swinesheads... I've heard good reviews about them, but wasn't a fan of the sound clips.

I know it's unlikely given your style of playing, but never put an Invader in your guitar. Power chords pretty much tear your face off, but there's no treble to cut through for lead work. I've just learnt this the expensive way
Air Norton in the neck and drop sonic in the bridge. Killer sound. YOU can and WILL get any sound you want from that combination. Seriously I only wish i knew about this combination earlier.!!!!!!
Dimarzios and Ibanez are a match made in heaven.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by steven seagull
I doubt it - first off Dimarzio have a manufacturer restriction in place that prevents retailers shipping them out.

that's what i'd have thought.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by doctor woot
a pity he lives in the UK, that would have been my suggestion

Agreed...such a pity that he lives in the country that makes Bare Knuckles, Swinesheads, Bulldog and Irongear

[EDIT] ...and Rock Monkey
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

Yep thats exactly how it is. But its no problem to order from a private person. I love ebay Tell them to mark as gift and you dont get hit with the import tax and other admin fees that royal mail slap on. USPS is pretty cheap and decent service which makes it go smoothly. Saved about $90 on the fulltone OCD for example.

Didn't even know all these boutique uk based pickup makers were out there. I'm spoiled for choice! I will look into all the suggestions. Thanks. If you have anymore, keep them comming
Quote by steven seagull
Agreed...such a pity that he lives in the country that makes Bare Knuckles, Swinesheads, Bulldog and Irongear

not to mention they have to pay out the ass to get a good guitar :P
Quote by steven seagull

haha i always forget about rock monkey too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok i've looked into it more. here are my thoughts atm...

Bare Knuckles - Don't think they really have what I'm after. Plus I couldn't really tell what they were all about, what the differences are between the different models etc.

Bulldogs - Too expensive.

Irongear - Played some of their sound clips. Didn't like it. Sounded fuzzy to me.

Swinesheads. Warthog bridge, Condor neck - I think that would make a very decent set up. They should complement eachother nicely without being too dissimilar. Perhaps they will not offer enough versitility. Maybe the condor will be too smooth and melow.

DiMarzio - Air Norton sounds like it will be too deep and dark in the neck. I think Humbucker From Hell should be perfect match for Ibanez S in the neck. D-Activator in the bridge would be a complete contrast to the Humbucker From Hell. It should work well, I just hope the D-Activator will not be too brutal if I go with this combo.
how about a super distortion or breed or tone zone in the bridge instead then?

i wish i could get some bare knuckles as cheap as you guys can get them :' (
^ you can actually get them cheaper than we can get them if you order from the bareknuckle website as you don't have to pay our sales tax- the difference is that in the UK we're ripped off on all the US pickup brands, so bareknuckles are a more attractive proposition by comparison.

^^ i don't really see how bareknuckle wouldn't have something you're after- though if you think bulldog are too expensive, bareknuckle are even more so! So yeah, i'm guessing swineshead are the best bet.

The condor is actually quite bright, though mellow. It does a great vintage clean/blues tone, but takes on overdrive admirably well too- think slash for overdriven solos, but you can really shred with it too, and it's very, very clear sounding. I wouldn't want to play uber-mega-br00talz metalz with one, but it'll certainly do 80's shred solos no bother. plus have awesome cleans into the bargain. extremely nice pickup.

i haven't tried the d-activator nor humbucker from hell, but the condor annihilates the air norton, if you ask me. for about half the price.

The only slight concern with swineshead is that they're quite modern pickups, even the vintage voiced ones. I know it says in the guitar buyer review of them (from way back) that jon bell likes his rock and metal, and his pickups are kinda aimed at that- even the vintage voiced ones are kinda modern takes on the vintage thing. Don't get me wrong, still awesome cleans, but it's not made with no thought towards modern levels of overdrive, as some more vintage-voiced pickups are. EDIT: don't get me wrong, this doesn't bother me in the slightest- but i just thought it was worth mentioning.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 29, 2007,