Page 1 of 2
Hey, I've been playing guitar for a few years and I have a burning question. Are there any guitars built a bit larger for people with huge fingers? I am 6'5 and 180 pound, and my fingers are just too large for a lot of conventional playing. I'm fine playing bass, but with guitar I can't play certain chords because my fingers are too big. Thanks for the help. By the way, if it helps I play a lot of 80s post-punk and alternative.
Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar signatures should do the trick...but they are pricey.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 27, 2007,
Use fatter srings. By your description, you're using light gagues like .9 or .10 Aim for .12 or .13
Find guitars with wider fretboards
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Guys, he has big hands. He needs a bigger neck, not thicker strings.

Try baritone guitars. They have longer scale lengths, and their frets are further apart.

Also, I've heard some BC riches have very wide necks, and they suck a bit less today than a few years ago.

And try classical guitars, too.
Get a guitar with:

-an extended scale (like a baritone)

or

-a fat neck (like a Les Paul)

or

-an extended range instrument like a 7 or 8 string (Ibanez RG1527, Rg2228)

A nice combination of heavy strings and a fat neck would be the afore mentioned SRV signature.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
*ahem*

Bass guitars.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
ibanez wizard 3 just kidding

now is it a case of the neck being too narrow, or are the frets too small?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I've been playing consistently for about 3 years. What are baritone guitars? Are they downtuned?
Quote by Musian
Hey, I've been playing guitar for a few years and I have a burning question. Are there any guitars built a bit larger for people with huge fingers? I am 6'5 and 180 pound, and my fingers are just too large for a lot of conventional playing. I'm fine playing bass, but with guitar I can't play certain chords because my fingers are too big. Thanks for the help. By the way, if it helps I play a lot of 80s post-punk and alternative.

what kind of guitar are you playing now?
Get the bucket head guitar. LOL!
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Quote by sammcl-15
*ahem*

Bass guitars.

+1
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by Musian
I've been playing consistently for about 3 years. What are baritone guitars? Are they downtuned?

A baritone is a guitar that's tuned down, but also has a longer scale length. This means the frets are further apart, which might be nice for a person with really big fingers.

Also the Ibanez RG2228 has a 27" scale lenght (longer than usual), but do you want eight strings?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
A baritone is a guitar that's tuned down, but also has a longer scale length. This means the frets are further apart, which might be nice for a person with really big fingers.

Also the Ibanez RG2228 has a 27" scale lenght (longer than usual), but do you want eight strings?

No, no. I just play six string. Well thanks for the help.
You could also just learn to make it work man. Look at Yngwie Malmsteen. He's a FATTY with sausage fingers, and just listen to his slew of notes!
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Quote by AndyMcDandy
You could also just learn to make it work man. Look at Yngwie Malmsteen. He's a FATTY with sausage fingers, and just listen to his slew of notes!

Actually, he's not that fat anymore.

Also, some good examples of huge handed guitarists would be Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai.
The Brian May Red Special's neck is wider and thicker than most guitars. maybe that would help you? Find a reproduction model locally and see if you can try it out?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Also, some good examples of huge handed guitarists would be Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai.

Those two might have heeeuuuuge hands, but their fingers are also very skinny.
Gilbert's pinky is scary! It's so long and slender..
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
ibanez wizard 3

HAHA.

And yes, baritone guitars are EXACTLY for you. They sound awesome too.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
baritones are basically a seven string without a high e string (so only 6 in total) just slap a regular set of strings there and you're sorted.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
baritones are basically a seven string without a high e string (so only 6 in total) just slap a regular set of strings there and you're sorted.

They're available in many different tunings.

Ernie Ball/Music man even makes one that's has regular tuning, but one octave down, effectively giving you a 'bass guitar'-guitar
TS, I wish I had your problem, lol. I have EXTREMELY small hands that are about 6.2 or 6.3 inches from base of palm to end of middle finger : (

And a lot of people complain about having 7 inch hands
Quote by ElectricFiend
TS, I wish I had your problem, lol. I have EXTREMELY small hands that are about 6.2 or 6.3 inches from base of palm to end of middle finger : (

7 inches is not huge, in fact my hands are 7 inches (from the base of the palm to the tip of my middle finger) and they're quite small, especially when compare to other peoples hands.

Thankfully though, thanks to Ibanez and their thin, flat, necks I can comfortably play 7 (and even 8) string guitras, despite my below average hand size.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
7 inches is not huge, in fact my hands are 7 inches (from the base of the palm to the tip of my middle finger) and they're quite small, especially when compare to other peoples hands.

Thankfully though, thanks to Ibanez and their thin, flat, necks I can comfortably play 7 (and even 8) string guitras, despite my below average hand size.

No, 7 inches isn't huge, but it's about 3/4 of an inch bigger than mine, which makes a huge ****ing difference when talking about guitar. Sometimes I don't think I was made to play the guitar even though it is my favorite instrument *sigh*
Get the Ibanez with 8 strings. Such a cool guitar :p
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by sammcl-15
*ahem*

Bass guitars.

that's exactly what i thought. Get a 6 string BASS!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
People keep saying Les Paul's but they have a short scale so will make things worse. Look for something with as long a scale a possible.
You may also want to consider a PRS SE...they're known to have fat wide necks for great tone that you may like ergonomically. They start around $500.
My guitar teacher has fairly *ahem* wide fingers. He plays guitar just fine.
And look at Johnny Hiland!

That's a guy who needs to cut down on the Starbucks and Krispy Kreme!

But he plays just wonderfully. Just work on your technique, mang.

That said, i do have large hands myself, but mostly really big palms and large fingers. And I enjoy the feel of a thicker neck.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

theyre actually in the same octave range as a bass. not a normal guitar.

a nice trick though, get a 7 string guitar, and just dont use the low b. feels like magic.
If you ever want to look for another guitar, Ibanez has extra jumbo frets on most of their guitars. from their 6 to 7 strings - whichever one you play.

Good Luck!
Quote by ElectricFiend

do you really have to complain about your fingers in every thread you go into
Quote by big duck
You are so going to hell, but that is hilarious.

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
LP Style Wide Agile: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100csbwide.html
Explorer style Wide Agile:
-Black: http://www.rondomusic.com/product768.html
-White: http://www.rondomusic.com/product892.html

Also... I'm 6'3" with quite large hands... 8 1/2" from wrist to middle finger tip. I don't have any problems playing my Strat... When I first started I thought my hands were the issue... and they were. But the reason they were was my technique, not their size...
well john mayer supposedly has large hands and his sig has the fender scale (25.5 as opposed to your current 24.75) and the neck is supposedly supposed to be thicker...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Page 1 of 2