If all of the "guitar masters" on UG say that there is no need for tube amps over like, 50 watts, why are they produced?
Because the people who DO need them play in stadiums and arenas and such. They're made for those people. Unless you plan on being famous you don't NEED them. I regret the 100 watts. I'm looking for 7-30.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
because society today is led to believe that more is better

look at what McD's supersize-me option did to the US
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Maybe the amps are for people who want clean headroom at loud volumes
also
it's cool to say you have 100 watt stack
and to be like your favorite players
Quote by RentACar
But, if you play in a stadium, you would be mic'ed andyways so I'm confused.

At the Virgin Fest at Pimlico Racetrack in Baltimore (A HUGE VENUE) I remember some band or another had a guitarist playing a single Vox AC30, and just a bit late, VR came over with Slash's 3 full stacks. There was no difference in volume. It's really because the more amps you have, the more badass you are.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
This Is Spinal Tap - 11.

"Why not just make your 10 louder and make that your max volume?..."

". . . . ."

-awkward silence-

". . .These amps go up to eleven."

That just about sums it up.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Some people prefer to play 3 stacks versus mic'ing an amp.

I'd rather play with a stack personally...but like a 30 watt mic'ed one.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

That's so true
and my amp actually does go to 11
i got a faceplate custom made
it's prety cool
2 4 6 8 10 11
doesn't get any better than that
Some fenders go up to 12, don't they?

Unrelated to the topic, tho.
pretty much right, though if ur amp does go to 11, you have more choice of variation. its never needed because ten is more than enough (especially considering a lot of amps can go to ten and anywhere in between, they dont just click to each number)

and yeah i agree, plus, if your doing a gig for a small bar, a 100 watt amp isnt going to be needed at full, you'll need to turn it down, so you wont get the overdriven sound, so it doesn't sound as good.
most people here dont play anything over club levels. its pretty useless to play a 200 watt major in your 150 person venue. but if youre a touring professional doing large auditoriums, amphitheatres, and bigger for thousands of people a night its pretty alright.
Quote by CobenBlack
pretty much right, though if ur amp does go to 11, you have more choice of variation.

...was that a joke? Because you don't get any more choice of variation.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Yeah some fenders do 12, and some peaveys too.

My Amp goes up to 20, lol.

Also I heard somewhere that Yngwie Malmsteen doesn't put his amps through the PA system, and instead he has a wall of Marshall stacks.

So amps are for people like him, lol.

Plus 50w would have a very nice clean headroom.
^ yayy for JCM900s
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by RentACar
But, if you play in a stadium, you would be mic'ed andyways so I'm confused.

Back in the early days not all stadiums had micing systems I would assume. So guitarists like Jimmy Page say who played arena with a loud drummer would need the wattage.

However in most cases these days you wouldn't need much past 50.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Yeah some fenders do 12, and some peaveys too.

Mesa Boogies dont' have numbers because they'd run out of room.

2394, 239482, 59673293, 97642356812 etc.

100watt amps push harder, and feel like they have more gain than 60 watts or less. Just because an amp might have more saturation because it's cranked higher doesn't give it a heavier tone, just more searing.

Thats why a triple Recto feels like it has more balls than a single recto.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by RentACar
If all of the "guitar masters" on UG say that there is no need for tube amps over like, 50 watts, why are they produced?
If you must ask this question, you are not yet a true guitar master.

Some things can't be learned. They must be remembered.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Artemis Entreri

When bands come out with a wall of amps and cabs, usually only one or two heads are running and 2 cabs are putting out the rest are dummies. See "Lamb of God"
Quote by RentACar

Because some people have small penises(/boobs).

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by Say Ocean
When bands come out with a wall of amps and cabs, usually only one or two heads are running and 2 cabs are putting out the rest are dummies. See "Lamb of God"

Just look at all the Vulgar Displays of Power in Guitar world. All the Stacks in those only like two cabs are being used, and they have like 6 cabs.
My main tube an (Zinky BV) is plenty loud at 30watts, the tone is to die for. My MF350 sounds great at low volumes, awesome at high volumes and lets the neighbors for miles know Rock ain't dead. It's all about what turns ya on, not what ya need.
It's all opinion, some people prefer tube combos and some people like stacks. Don't just buy a tube combo (although that would be my option) because everyone here tells you that they are better.
Most people have no need for amps much over 50 watts. I like amps in the 7-20 watt range myself.

Some people do need bigger amps. There are 3 reasons I can think of

1 Headroom. If you want to play a tube amp clean and loud you need a higher wattage amps than if you want to play dirty.

2 Gigging with no PA. It's not a good way to do things, but I have seen several new bands gig with high watt amps because the band as a whole doesn't want to buy a PA together. Everybody just invests in their own equipment.

3 High wattage amps run at higher voltages. Higher voltages gives you more high end edge. No matter what pedals and effects I use on my bassman 50 I cannot make it sound like an 80's metal machine because the voltages running through it only let me have a brown vintage tone, they don't let me have that bright modern tone.

Quote by turbulenced
It's all opinion, some people prefer tube combos and some people like stacks. Don't just buy a tube combo (although that would be my option) because everyone here tells you that they are better.

Very true. There are still some great SS amps out there. SS amps are good for people that want a clean canvase from their amp. People that let the pickups and pedals do all the work can be very happy with a solid state amp. The thing is, a good solid state amp and all those pedals isn't really any cheaper than a good tube amp. It's all about the direction you want to go. The one direction you can not go and get good tone is getting one of the swiss army solid state amps because those amps are never good. If you go with solid state then get it for it's clean tone and nothing else.

So, the short answer is Headroom, gigging, and wanting to get high end punch.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 28, 2007,
CorduroyEW, great reply, but don't forget about the hybrids, the tube in the preamp warms up the sterile sound of the SS main. One valve breaks up much faster that three or four so ya gotta be careful dialing in the tone. My MF350 is a great example of getting the best of both worlds, if you set it right.
R7, SG, Texas Special
EMG modded special addition Fat Strat
BC Rich STIII
Zinky Blue Velvet
MF350
AkaiDPS24MKII
GNX3, PA
other pedals and gear
^I'm kinda partial to the Vox valvestates myself.

There are a lot of tube distortion pedals out there that can warm of a solid state amp too. Typically this gives you more tonal flexibility than a hybrid but the good tube pedals cost as much and sometimes more than a good hybrid amp.
Not taking any online orders.