I have a peavey XXX 40 watt combo, and I like it a lot, but lately Its seemed that Im not getting enough volume out of it withouth uncontrollable feedback. Would an Engl Thunder Head and some kind of cab be better? I play a ton of metal and hard rock, and I also need cleans because I play in the Jazz and pep band in school. Basically, could I get a good Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, COB type metal tone, nice crunch tones, some good fender blues tones, and good cleans with the ENGL, and will it be loud enough for gigs if I get a 4X12 or maybe only a 2X12 cab? Or should I try to find a way to make my Peavey louder? I like my distortion tone on the Peavey, but theres too much feedback, and the cleans arent that great really. I have some clips on my profile of my Peavey, so you can check them out and see if you think the ENGL would be better suited for the job. Thanks.
If you decide to to ENGL, get the screamer or Fireball. Far superiour amps.

Go for the Fireball if you want to play metal and not much else and the screamer if you want a versatile amp that can do high gain (does it pretty freakin well though). From what your description is saying it sounds like you'd be better suited to the screamer.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
As incredibly happy as I am with my engl thunder i don't see why should switch. what is it you dont like about the XXX ? the cleans on the engl thunder i imagine would be better, but that's it really, the XXX is a nice amp
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^Well the XXX is a pretty awesome amp, but I feel like I have to use my TS9 to get enough "bite" out of it. Im not sure if the Engl will have this problem or not still, because Im a gain freak. But yeah, I use cleans a lot for jazz band, and I have to crank my amp up almost all the way to be heard at all, and by that point, its pretty much a light distortion channel with all the breakup. Not that great for Jazz. I was thinking if I had a 4X12 it could spread out the sound more, and I wouldnt need as much volume, which would help for my ridiculous amount of feedback Im getting from my Ultra channel.
well the thunder can definitely get loud and stay clean. you can turn the master volume up full and the pre amp gain about half way or so and it stays clean
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^Oh cool, thats what I wanted to hear, because on the XXX, the clean channel cant be heard too well unless the preamp gain is like over halfway, so when I really crank the volume, it breaks up horribly.
well if you can wait until friday/saturday i'll get you clips of various settings. I'm not likely to forget your screen name lol, so i'll drop a message when they're up.

btw you mentioned wanting pearl jam cleans, well i odnt know much pearl jam so i had a look at a few songs. oceans clean tone is definitely achievable
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
The Screamer isn't THAT much more expensive than the Thunder.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
£120. that's expensive for me. but then i'm 16 with a poorly paid part time job lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Well Im thinking that a 50 watt 1X12 tube combo wont be too different in terms of volume than my 1X12 40 watt tube combo. Thats why Im thinking about getting the head and a 2 or 4X12
Because you live in the states, you're paying quite a bit extra just for the engl to be imported. You might want to look into a Mesa Boogie F series, or Traynor TCYV40.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
well if you can wait until friday/saturday i'll get you clips of various settings. I'm not likely to forget your screen name lol, so i'll drop a message when they're up.

btw you mentioned wanting pearl jam cleans, well i odnt know much pearl jam so i had a look at a few songs. oceans clean tone is definitely achievable

hey can u pm me as well when the clips are up and where they r?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by MESAexplorer
Because you live in the states, you're paying quite a bit extra just for the engl to be imported. You might want to look into a Mesa Boogie F series, or Traynor TCYV40.

doesn't musiciansfriend carry engl now??
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/engl-tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+201494&Ns=P_Price|0
sweeeet
It's still going to cost you a bit more because you live in the states. There's nothing wrong with paying extra for the tone you want, but going with a big name or just because the price is high doesn't make it the best amp for you.

If you're spending more than $500 I believe you should have played with it for a good while before you buy it...

...I'm a hypocrite, played a RK for 5-10 minutes, never played a Carvin...own both...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah go for the Screamer if you can afford it the extra bit, they sound pretty freakin good with a 4 or 2 x 12.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
You can try a noise gate or something instead of going for a full blown new amp.

I only get feedback on the ultra channel on mine, I usually use the crunch setting which can get a nice tone for hard rock/metal if you crank the gain.
Quote by musicfreak003
hey can u pm me as well when the clips are up and where they r?

yeah sure no problem
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
As incredibly happy as I am with my engl thunder i don't see why should switch. what is it you dont like about the XXX ? the cleans on the engl thunder i imagine would be better, but that's it really, the XXX is a nice amp

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
but if you wanna take an Engl ampl, than dont take the thunder!!!
i would choose between screamer or fireball....and would take the fireball...
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...