Poll: Final guitar decision
Poll Options
View poll results: Final guitar decision
96' Les Paul Studio
27 49%
Ibanez RG2550E
28 51%
Voters: 55.
Ok, I'm left with two choices on two used guitars. The have a totally different style, I know.

I play everything, from Death metal riffing to classic rock to blues. They both go for 450 - 500 USD used.

One is a mint condition, '96 Les Paul Studio and the other one is a year old Ibanez RG2550E (prestige model with Dimarzio/IBZ pups). Both come with a hardshell case.

EDIT - Gibson Les Paul studio, of course. Haha.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Last edited by m3k at Oct 27, 2007,
i dont like Gibson at all but allot of people do,and i think the Gibson would be better at giving you a wide range of sounds such as for blues classic rock and death metal,which you want.
Not sayin the ibanez is a bad guitar but the gibson would do a better job on covering what you need.
Have you played them both? Personally I don't really like Les Pauls, mainly because I can't seem to play as fast and smooth as I can on an Ibanez neck, but some people think that Les Pauls are easier than most guitar's to play...But if you're alright with the neck, I'd probably go with the Les Paul.
Warwick Corvette Double Buck 5 String
Ibanez GSR190
Ibanez RG3EX1
Cort Earth-70
1962 Danelectro Silvertone 1448
Ampeg BA-115
Line 6 Spider II 210
Vox DA5
Autographed Dunlop Wylde Wah
M-Audio Keystation 49e
The only problem I have is that I like the Ibanez necks more and I find it hard to play on LP style necks since I'm used to tiny flat necks heh. But I can adjust in time for a different neck methinks.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
I've never come across a good Gibson LP Studio. Frankly, I find them to be just as poor as the Epi ones (yes, even though from a technical point of view they shouldn't be that bad... I don't know, they just are. Maybe they're not made with anywhere near as much care as they should be?).

On the other hand, the Ibanez won't be quite as versitle as the LP, and if you really do play pretty much everything, that could become a problem.

If I were you, I'd look into maybe ESP's LTD range (can be better but cheaper than most other guitars, depending on where it is you live. Price ranges on these vary wildly even just from city to city in some countries), or perhaps consider a higher-end Epiphone/another good LP copy such as Tokai, Agile, etc.
Quote by bokuho
I've never come across a good Gibson LP Studio. Frankly, I find them to be just as poor as the Epi ones (yes, even though from a technical point of view they shouldn't be that bad... I don't know, they just are. Maybe they're not made with anywhere near as much care as they should be?).

On the other hand, the Ibanez won't be quite as versitle as the LP, and if you really do play pretty much everything, that could become a problem.

If I were you, I'd look into maybe ESP's LTD range (can be better but cheaper than most other guitars, depending on where it is you live. Price ranges on these vary wildly even just from city to city in some countries), or perhaps consider a higher-end Epiphone/another good LP copy such as Tokai, Agile, etc.

As I've said, they are both used and that's why I can get them for such a low price.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Bump.

Man, the votes are close. You guys are making this hard

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Bump #2 for more opinions

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
I own a '98 Les Paul Studio and having played a lot of Gibsons in that era, all I can say is that they are fantastic. This was the time Gibson reached their peak since the 50's. Many of the guitars from this era is marvelous and beats close to all modern day Gibsons. My tip is try the Les Paul and see if you like it, but I love mine.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by m3k
As I've said, they are both used and that's why I can get them for such a low price.
Even less reason to get either then...
Quote by bokuho

If anything, that's more reason to get them since I'm getting a guitar that's worth twice as much for the price.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by bokuho

What is that supposed to mean?
Buying used is a great idea. For a couple of scratches and dings you are able to get a perfectly functioning and great guitar for a hell of a lot less. =\

I would say the lp, I don't know much about ibanez but I've heard a lot of poeple say that those Dimarzio/Ibanez pickups are kind of sucky.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I'd go with Les Paul myself.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
RG, IMHO, but thats subjective.
well because RG is easier (if u have small hands like me) to access the higher frets, and is faster, for ur death metal riffs. if i had an RG i guess i could do classic rock, but if i had a les paul i probably cant play metal
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Thing is though is at the end f the day you arent going to pick what we vote youjust going to pick what you really want.
But i would pick the Ibanez purely because i love Ibanezs. Even the cheap models like the GRG and GSAs (which i have) have a very quality finish and fast-ish necks. LPs dont have very fast necks imo. And that Ibanez is a very good guitar ive played it before
Manchester United
Well, it could come down to Would you use the trem a lot?

I'm sure the Les Paul would do Death Metal, as would the Ibanez, and same all the way to classic rock, but if you are going for a lot of whammy bar usage...
I actually don't like trems.

See, my dilemma here is that the LP has, well, it's a LP but it has a chunky neck an only 22 frets while the Ibanez has an incredible neck, build quality and 24 frets but it lacks.. soul.

I'm actually leaning towards the LP but at the same time the Ibanez seems perfect for me. It's a want versus need kind of thing.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
personally i usually go for want. I could be very sensible in my choices but that's just too boring for me.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
RG + New pickups. You'll only grow to regret getting the LP if you don't like the neck.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Holy crap, 50/50 on the votes. DAMMIT!

Hmm, but a neck is something you can get accustomed to, no?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Any '96 Les Paul is worth the buy in my opinion. The question you should ask yourself is if your more a superstrat type or more of a les paul type. The LP studio's dont have great fret acces past 17, with that Ibanez it would be a breeze. Also, take into consideration if you want a trem (I'm assuming that particular RG has a trem), and if you really use that 23'nd and 24th fret.