Im thinking of getting a new bridge burstbucker pickup for my Epi LP, which one would be closest to Jimmy Pages? Thx for any help
Probably a #3. It's the hottest of the 3 Burstbuckers.

His pickups are actually custom-wound Burstbuckers (extra hot; the #3 might just be able to match them... possibly... you should probably try having it with it's cover off) and they're fully coil-tapped so they can be used either as full humbukers or as single coils. I believe on his signature Gibson LP model it's also set to enable phase switching on both pickups too.

Which Epi LP is it though? If it's a Standard or better, the Burstbuckers will be fine. If it's less than a Standard though (i.e. Studio, 100, Special-II, Junior), you may want to re-think your plan; the cheaper construction of those guitars won't carry the pickup's presence as well and you could well be wasting your money on something that will barely make any difference.

And of course, your amp controls your tone more than any part of your guitar; if you're working toward a specific tone, you should look into changing your amp first.
I have an Epi LP Standard Plus, and I only have enough cash for one. Im going to work over the next summer to try to get a nice tube amp but for now I have a 60w Epi SS with a Big Muff I run on it, and thanks for the help.
Don't get the Burstbuckers.

They're overpriced and don't sound too good. For about the same price you can get Bareknuckle Mules. They sound way better and are awesome pickups (if you want real Jimmy Page tone maybe the Black Dog).

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

Just click on my profile and listen to my Whole Lotta Love clip, there you have my Mules.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
None.

I'd look into the Seymour Duncan 59's (I have them in my Epi) or possibly the Antiquitys. You could also look into some botique makers. I've never been a fan of Burstbuckers myself. I've found them to be dull, muddy, and simply not worth their price

^Nice clip
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Oct 27, 2007,
i would get the third one, most likey the two that were posted above will end up crapping out on you, gibson makes good pickups that will last. and only gibson can make a gibson.
Im thinking though, what could be better than a real Gibson? So the 3 would be the hottest, im thinking about getting that, thanks for all the help everyone
Quote by RedMoonMan
and only gibson can make a gibson.

If you mean Gibson by what it says on the headstock, then yes only Gibson can make a real one.

But if you just mean like a guitar, then no. Gibson can barely make Gibsons nowadays (owning a 98 Studio, it beats close to all modern day Standards I have played). Also have you ever played a good "lawsuit" model? I have played many and they all played way better than most modern Gibsons.

Gibson Burstbuckers aren't that good, they use Alnico II magnets instead of the originals IV and pot their pickups to high heaven (while the originals were unpotted) and like all Gibson stuff they charge way more than it's worth.

Quote by DeadMeadow
Im thinking though, what could be better than a real Gibson?everyone

Pickupwise?

Bareknuckle, Stephen Design, Lindy Fralin, Bulldog and so on.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
If you mean Gibson by what it says on the headstock, then yes only Gibson can make a real one.

But if you just mean like a guitar, then no. Gibson can barely make Gibsons nowadays (owning a 98 Studio, it beats close to all modern day Standards I have played). Also have you ever played a good "lawsuit" model? I have played many and they all played way better than most modern Gibsons.

Gibson Burstbuckers aren't that good, they use Alnico II magnets instead of the originals IV and pot their pickups to high heaven (while the originals were unpotted) and like all Gibson stuff they charge way more than it's worth.

Pickupwise?

Bareknuckle, Stephen Design, Lindy Fralin, Bulldog and so on.

i pretty much agree with everything youre saying, but Gibson originally used many different magnets in their PAFS. they never had any standards by which they made their pickups.
i am not talking about guitars becuase i am not a big gibson guitar fan anymore, but their pickups are still made with quality.
Quote by RedMoonMan
i am not talking about guitars becuase i am not a big gibson guitar fan anymore, but their pickups are still made with quality.

if they knocked down the prices about 50 bucks theyd have something. but of course theyre just riding out on their reputation. for what theyre asking, its pretty "ehh"
Well Gibson pickups are ok, but way overpriced. You can get boutique pickups for the money. They charge $130 for Burstbuckers on Musicians Friend. Bareknuckles are only $14 more. And while Gibson are decent pickups, Bareknuckles are "cream of the crop" boutique pickups.

Bottomline, Gibson pickups are overpriced, you can get better for the money.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I think im gonna go with the Gibson Burstbucker 3, I dont feel like messing around with some lower company stuff. Im not saying it would be better but I just dont feel good about buying it there.
What do you mean?

You don't want pickups that are praised by everyone, handmade by the designers and are way better?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by DeadMeadow
I think im gonna go with the Gibson Burstbucker 3, I dont feel like messing around with some lower company stuff. Im not saying it would be better but I just dont feel good about buying it there.

There's no "lower" company, a good pickup is a good pickup. I haven't tried these but honestly I think it's a bad idea to just choose guitar gear cuase of the "name" or "company" especially these days when many of the "higher" companies, are trying to make money their first priority.

I can't say which one to get, but really please try to consider your options.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i think bareknuckle is a big huge company.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Me too.

I see them everywhere, here, on HC, in magazines (many of them swear by them) and so on.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by ECistheBest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-PMAAB4dI

Dave Stephens of Stephen Design pickups. he explains every myth about the "True PAF".

Awesome video, I just watched both parts. I thought it was pretty cool how he was playing an Epi in middle of part 2, just shows what an Epi with decent pickups can do. He even did a little Zep
Now i'm gonna watch . ^
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Well It would be cool to have a pickup thats not covered like Page did, which Bareknuckle would I get? and which Seymour Duncan?
Quote by DeadMeadow

Wow. I'd take Bareknuckle or Stephens Designs pickups over Gibson ANY day of the week. They're not "lower company" stuff. These are top of the line boutique pickup winders.

And wow, I reaaaaally need a new neck pickup now. Those clips were godly.
Ok guys I meant they werent as large of a company, so stop bashing me there lol, which Bareknuckle pickup or Stephens Designs is there that I should get?
Quote by DeadMeadow
Well It would be cool to have a pickup thats not covered like Page did, which Bareknuckle would I get? and which Seymour Duncan?

For Seymour Duncan I'd either look into the '59 the Antiquitys. I have a set of 59's in my Epiphone and I really like them. They have a very nice Page vibe to them, think "I Can't Quit You Baby" from Royal Albert Hall on the Zep DVD. You can get them covered or uncovered as well.

I don't have much experience with Bareknuckle, I can assure you though they're superb pickups.
Well I suppose the Bareknuckle Black Dogs would do well for Page. Though i've never used them, wouldn't mind putting one in the bridge.

Quote by Whole Lotta Led
For Seymour Duncan I'd either look into the '59 the Antiquitys. I have a set of 59's in my Epiphone and I really like them. They have a very nice Page vibe to them, think "I Can't Quit You Baby" from Royal Albert Hall on the Zep DVD. You can get them covered or uncovered as well.

I don't have much experience with Bareknuckle, I can assure you though they're superb pickups.

I have the DvD. Im looking like for the Misty Mountain Hop Vibe from the DvD 2, with really high output and treble like he had it was quite tasty
Yeah, both LP's were loaded with actual PAF's. He apparently swapped the bridge pickup on #1 for a T-Top, no idea when though. The SH-55 is supposed to be a PAF clone, I read that it's just like the Antiquity minus the aging process he puts them through. I suppose technically there is no such thing as an actual clone, seeing how things varied so much back then like talked about on the last page.
The SH-55 is a fairly low output pickup. Page's pickups really weren't high output at all. Once again though seeing how things varied, it is possible maybe one could have been slighty overwound. But those saturated tones he gets is mostly from the amp. I know you'll probably hate this, but you really do need to upgrade your amp because new pickups aren't going to do much.

PAF stands for Patent Applied For, watch that video EC posted if haven't already. The Burstbucker is Gibsons modern day version of the PAF but with much more consistency, doesn't necessarily make them good though.
so u guys like Dave Stephens videos huh? he's got the wisdom. listen to him. even corduroyEW puts his hands down about Dave Stephens' PAF godlyness. Cord even has a link to SDpickups' site. iono if it's a deal or just because he wants to, but its cool.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
The SH-55 is a fairly low output pickup. Page's pickups really weren't high output at all. Once again though seeing how things varied, it is possible maybe one could have been slighty overwound. But those saturated tones he gets is mostly from the amp. I know you'll probably hate this, but you really do need to upgrade your amp because new pickups aren't going to do much.

PAF stands for Patent Applied For, watch that video EC posted if haven't already. The Burstbucker is Gibsons modern day version of the PAF but with much more consistency, doesn't necessarily make them good though.

I know I need to upgrade my amp, but for now a pickup is needed because

1. All I can Afford
2. I have stock pickup

So after all this, what I want is a high output hot pickup, what should I get?
Yeah at 200, you could get a nice small tube amp like the Crate Palomino. That should do fine for Zep, after that you could go into the right pedals and pickups.

Then again if your planning on upgrading the amp anyways I suppose a pickup before hand isn't a bad idea. Just keep in mind you may not notice a big of a difference as it would be with a new amp.

Precisily. Epi pickups aren't the best. But a Crate Palomino or small tube amp (Epi Valve Jr will be great for that Page tone, and it's in your pricerange) will get you way closer than new pickups will. An amp is 75% or more of the tone. Pickups are a big part too, but generally for the pickups to make a difference, you need that 75% covered. Plus pickups are designed to work well with tube amps.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

whatever pickups you get
get jimmy page style wiring
go to seymourduncan.com
they have a shcematic there
that would be really cool if you had that
Quote by DeadMeadow
Im thinking though, what could be better than a real Gibson? So the 3 would be the hottest, im thinking about getting that, thanks for all the help everyone

Loads of things

Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle, Swineshead, Mojave, Stephens Design, Kent Armstrong, Fralin, Rio Grande...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com