Anyone familiar with these Estaban guitars. My GF just ordered me the Estaban The Vintage Collectors Series LE 30-piece Set on the Home Shopping Network. From what research I could do it looks like a well amde Acoustic Electric. It was supposed to be a Christmas Present but she let it slip earlier today. I only own one other acoustic and that is a Fender Classic. Not too sure about this make or it's quality but it has to be better than the Fender. It is a nice looking guitar IMHO.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Oct 27, 2007,
OMG i want that guitar!! Its better than te yamaha i have thats for sure..

I'm an electric guy, i don't know much abt acoustic.
Well, they are $199.99 and shipping on the Home Shopping Network. I think she said it was around $226.00. She did say the delivery date is around the first week in Dec.

It's a complete package

Vintage guitar - measures approx. 41"L x 16"W x 4-1/2"H
Black nylon hard-sided case - measures approx. 43-1/2"L x 17-1/2"W x 6"H
10-watt black amplifier output with 4-1/2' cord - measures approx. 12"L x 6-1/2"W x 8-1/2"H
10 Limited Edition Steel String instructional DVDs - over 220 hours of instructional lessons
Custom guitar strap
Case strap
5 picks
6 extra strings
Allen key
Chord chart poster
Polishing cloth
Numbered Certificate of Authenticity

I am an electric guy myself but when it's late I use my Fender Classical so the neighbors don't kick the walls! LOL I am also not a Chevy fan either and this is a tribute to the 57 Chevy but it really looks nice.

My GF really doesn't know much about guitars and I thought she did good getting me this. I did mention when we were at Guitar Center I wanted and acoustic/electric and she is addicted to HSN. LOL

John
I saw this earlier. Looks like it is nicer than other esteban guitars but since other esteban guitars sound like if you put string on a piece of crap that doesnt mean much.
A band of my very own:

Pyknic
if it's new, how is it vintage?
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Esteban's guitars sold through QVC and HSN have been found to be difficult to play due to the high action and poor intonation. In extreme cases, owners have reported that the fretboard has become completely separated from the neck or some other defect rendering the guitar unplayable. Some HSN customers have found customer service to be lacking, finding it difficult to return the guitar. The newer Esteban American Legacy Guitar featured in TV infomercials has received mixed reviews." - Wikipedia
Honestly, since I have not played the guitar, I can't tell you how good it sounds but I'd say it's at best mediocre. Looks like it's an all-laminate guitar, and if it comes with all that stuff--then you got to question, exactly how much is the actual guitar worth?

In short, there are better guitars out there at that price ie. Yamaha FG700S.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Oct 27, 2007,
I have the Master Class and although as received it wasn't the most playable. It did have a pretty nice sound and fit and finish are quite good. I had the action lowered and Martin SP 11 strings put on it and it was a dramatic improvement. With everything you get with the package it's a great deal. The little G10 amp isn't very impressive. but it's so small and convenient to use I plug into fairly often.. The Dvd's that came with it are very good IMHO and helped me alot at the beginning. The chord chart is also a helpful tool to have on the wall. Although I don't play the Master Class very often anymore it was still worth the price of the package and what I got out of it. Just be patient with it and if you need to have it looked at to fix the action do so. It will make alot of difference.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I owned an Esteban for a short time. The package is quite nice, but the guitar is just ok. I think the lesson DVD's and accessories help make up for its shortcomings. The first thing you should do when you get it is have it set up by a technician. It will make it much more playable. By the way, the model you're getting was just released. You're not going to find anyone that owns one. I'd love to read your comments after you've had some time with it, so please post your findings.
Well, it's a gift and the thought is what counts. My gf is very proud she picked something out that I would like. I am very hard to buy for. I don't know much about these guitars myself, I play electric as a rule and not all that well. I amnot familiar with how an acoustic should really feel and play. I imagine it shouldn't be much different than an electric though. I only have the one Fender Classic acoustic and I found it in the trash! The neck was busted at the heel but my guitar guy fixed it in trade for some old train stuff I had laying around. It plays and sounds nice IMHO.

I will let you know what I think when it gets here in about 4 weeks. I find a lot of people have complaints about inexpensive guitars and I am sure a lot of it has it's merit. I just find that when people buy something inexpensive they don't take care of it like they would a guitar that costs thousands. I take care of everything I own even the cheap Hondos I have owned I sold for more than I paid because they were all mint. I have one called a STING that I see going for 5 times the price I paid and they are not in as good condition as mine. I guess no matter how well you take care of something if it's not built well there is nothing you can do about it.

You really would think Estaban wouldn't lend his name to something of low quality. Eventually it will tarnish his reputation but I have seen some cheesy signature guitars on the market in electrics.

The Vintage name does throw you off. It's just the name of the guitar because it's a tribute to the 57 Chevy. Thats another thing GM allowed them and backed this project. I hope it turns out to be a nice guitar.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Oct 28, 2007,
I'm not surprised you found your Fender Classical in the trash. They are exactly that.

I don't know anything at all about the guitar. =/ sorry mate.
I can tell you my experience. My neighbor got one for his birthday. He had it for several months and we decided to put new strings on it. We couldn't get the pins out. We tried pushing from the back side and that wouldn't work. We tried pulling them with a pin puller, no luck. We tried using side cutters and managed to get a couple out. The rest snapped off. When we went to look in the holes it was apparent whoever drilled them couldn't wait for the hole to be completely drilled and had taken to pushing on the drill which ended up splitting the wood in a fan shape around the hole and not completely drilling the hole out. This of course meant that it would pinch the pins and make them nearly impossible to remove. He put it away and has yet to play it again. He ended up buying an Alvarez.

Oh and did a mention the set up. Needed a ladder to bridge the distance between the fret and string. (OK maybe a little hyperbole).

That's what I know about Esteban. Wouldn't buy one after that.
My Eseteban "The Vintage" Came today, I have to say what a nice guitar for the price. It plays well sounds great both with and with out the amp. I inspected it thoughly and I do not find any problems. The inlays are a clear material with silver under them at first I thought they were missing.LOL The little amp is pretty dam good It's a small 10watt amp and IMHO it sounds better than my Marshall MG10.

Here are the pics like I promised.

Guitar

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w80/JohnRo_Productions/TheVintage_010.jpg
Case

10watt amp

Action

John
Thanks, I am going to bring it to my luthier to go over evan though as far as I can see it's in great shape and plays nice. I am not used to playing acoustic and after playing for a few hours it really made my fingers really sore. LOL I have no clue on the string gauge. I use 9s on all my electrics these seem much heavier to me.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Thanks, I am going to bring it to my luthier to go over evan though as far as I can see it's in great shape and plays nice. I am not used to playing acoustic and after playing for a few hours it really made my fingers really sore. LOL I have no clue on the string gauge. I use 9s on all my electrics these seem much heavier to me.

John
I played an electric with 10's for a year before picking up an acoustic, which had 12's. After a few months of playing mostly acoustic, my calluses formed in a way that they never did before, that's for sure.
^-- try reading the entire thread he not only said the guitar arrived but also posted pictures of it two days ago. not to mention you already posted basically the same thing in this thread like a month ago
Now you just need to wander around playing Malengua(sp) in a black cowboy hat and sunglasses

I like the silver bridge, gives the guitar a cool look. Action looks huge but that's fixable. Since you have two guitars now you should get your GF into it.
I have been playing it quite a bit and it's actually pretty good. I am sure my guitar Doctor can probably make it a little better but I am in no hurry. I have tried several guitars at GC and unless you pay big $$ I wan't happy with any of them. I was surprised how well this was made and it has a great solid feel. The electronics sound good IMHO. I think it played better than similar priced guitars I tried out. It is taking it's toll on my finger tips much different than electric. My other acoustic has a much different strings (metal/nylon) and no where near as tuff on my fingers. I watched some of the vids and I will never be able to play that type of music. LOL Haveing those long shaped finger nails on one hand will never happen. LOL Not my kind of music but the guy is good.
My fingernails aren't as long as his but they are alot longer now because of his style of play. Don't give up on that flamenco style. You'll be surprised at what it does for your electric play even. Several of his techniques have carried over for me. The more you practice it the better you'll be. Oh and take heart. The little G-10 amp is better then the Marshall MG series LOL
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by easthatred
"I broke my neck in a car accident and now i can play the guitar!" - Emelio Estaban
Was that supposed to be funny? You could at least try to get the dude's name right.
I really like the look of this guitar. I am tossing around the idea of getting a beginner guitar and since I am also into Classic Cars I thought this would be a good choice. I can always hang it on the wall for its looks in the game room if I get tired of playing. I was also looking at the Takamine EG333C model at 349.00 which is a nice entry level guitar. I like this one though for 249.00 on HSN since it has all the extras especially the lessons. I know it isnt high quality but it seems like a good deal if it plays decent. What do you think?
^^^ I think it sounds like a decent plan. One thing, though. Do yourself a favor when you get it and take it to a guitar tech for a setup for a little fine tuning. It will be much easier to play that way, trust me. Buy some decent strings too.
I'm not a fan of the esteban guitars personally, there are plenty of better guitars out there for a decent price, IMO.
Quote by johnro6659
Well, it's a gift and the thought is what counts.
My gf is very proud she picked something out that I would like.
Yes that was a lovely thought.

Quote by johnro6659
You really would think Estaban wouldn't lend his name to something of low quality.
You'd think that, but you would be wrong. I played one of the inexpensive models. Really quite dreadful. Horrible attention to detail. The frets were like a rollercoaster. The body had all the resonance of a cardboard box.
Quote by johnro6659
I have been playing it quite a bit and it's actually pretty good. I am sure my guitar Doctor can probably make it a little better but I am in no hurry.
I'm really glad to hear this worked out for you.
You might have done better for the money, but it sounds like you might have done worse.
Plus, you like the style. And it was a gift.

Lots of girls get mad when you buy a guitar, when you could have spent more money on them.
Your girl bought you a guitar. Pretty cool.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by johnro6659
My Eseteban "The Vintage" Came today, I have to say what a nice guitar for the price. It plays well sounds great both with and with out the amp. I inspected it thoughly and I do not find any problems. The inlays are a clear material with silver under them at first I thought they were missing.LOL The little amp is pretty dam good It's a small 10watt amp and IMHO it sounds better than my Marshall MG10.

John

So John how do you like the Esteban Vintage so far? I am thinking of getting one and was curious.
Quote by teegee420
^^^ I think it sounds like a decent plan. One thing, though. Do yourself a favor when you get it and take it to a guitar tech for a setup for a little fine tuning. It will be much easier to play that way, trust me. Buy some decent strings too.

pretty good and necessary advice for the esteban's i've seen and played. but the thing is that by the time you spend the extra money on a setup, you might as well have just bought a better guitar to begin with.
The more I play it the more I like it. My guitar tech said it was fine the way it is. He did suggest changing the strings as well. He only charges me $25.00 to set up a guitar. I am pretty much a regular customer and have been going to him since the late 70s I send everyone I know to him as well. I keep forgetting to grab a set of strings for it everytime I am at the music shop. Not really having much experiance with acoustic guitars I try and stop in the acoustic room and play a lot of the other brands just to compare and I think it plays just as good as guitar they sell for twice the money. I do like the Taylor guitars but they are just crazy expensive. I like Ovations the few I palyed I thought were nice. I wasn't crazy about the Yamaha's or Ibanez acoustics I tried. I did play two used Esteban guitars and they felt really cheap I think they were asking around $75.00 for Ea.

There is no way I could ever let my fingernails grow long I do a lot of work on cars and I do contracting work they get in the way. I am happy with it Ilike the little amp I think it sounds better than my Marshall MG10. The videos are not bad but there more vids of him playing rather than teaching IMHO. Interesting though. For $200.00 I say it was a good deal according to the numbers they expect to make 25,000 guitars and I do not see how they can call that limited production. Mine is number 437 I would like to know how many they actually make I really doubt they will ever hit the top number.

John
tell the gir friend its a beautifull gift but if you play it itll lose the value. Then buy a taylor or a seagull if u like wide neck. I personally think my t110 is one of the nicest acoustic actuions i have ever played. I would deffinitley get a seagull or a good takamine over a taylor electric though unless the new line sounds better havent played one yet. I hated my estaban put the battery in backwards and killed the preamp first day i got it action was so high i could play slide guitar and sounded like crap sold it to a pawn shop for 50 dollars and thought i was ripping them off. Still got the amp though lol and the dvd they work. buy a real guitar please youll never look back again plus if u save up for a while everytime you playit youll appreciate it even more.