For the neck I am looking for a warm, smooth tone similar to slash's.

the Seymour Duncan Alnico II's are what I'm looking to buy at the moment

As for the bridge, I'm not too sure what to get.

I'm looking to get a good metal tone as well.

Suggestions?

My Gear:

Schecter Omen 6

Vox AD100VT
Look at the Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio sites. They've guides which tell you which humbuckers would be best for you based on genre, etc...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
if you like your amp don't bother, i loooove mine, and it's pretty much the same as yours

i just put a dimarzio PAF Pro in my ibanez, sounds sorta like a cross between a seymour duncan jazz and '59, with a slight peak in the midrange, it's not really noticable, but sometimes you can, i really really like the pickup, and when coil split, it sounds really...really... convincing as a single coil

also... you may need a pedal to drive the amp a bit with the Alnico II's, as the vox isn't terribly high gain... (but that may just be me though)
the Super Distortion is pretty good as well, but i think i slightly prefer my usual JB over it, although the SD has a more balanced tone in my ibanez, which surprises me because i heard they were trebly and all....but it's great
Quote by TehJermie
new speakers before pickups. trust me on this one.

ok. what speakers/pickups would recommend then?
Last edited by hooblatots at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by Chad11491
if you like your amp don't bother, i loooove mine, and it's pretty much the same as yours

i just put a dimarzio PAF Pro in my ibanez, sounds sorta like a cross between a seymour duncan jazz and '59, with a slight peak in the midrange, it's not really noticable, but sometimes you can, i really really like the pickup, and when coil split, it sounds really...really... convincing as a single coil

also... you may need a pedal to drive the amp a bit with the Alnico II's, as the vox isn't terribly high gain... (but that may just be me though)
the Super Distortion is pretty good as well, but i think i slightly prefer my usual JB over it, although the SD has a more balanced tone in my ibanez, which surprises me because i heard they were trebly and all....but it's great

i too am a big fan of the vox sound

dimarzios eh? i'll check em out.

thanks for the advice!
I've jsut realised "Getting a ______,need your input." could be a pun ^^!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
You won't get good metal tones out of Alnico II magnets...if you want a set off good all-rounders with a fat, warm tone then go for a pair of Dimarzio Breeds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Slash uses the Alnico II's so i'd say you've got a good chance of getting a decent slash tone. I don't know about the metal tone though. That might be pushing it. However slash's tone is pretty much only the neck pickup so if you want something else for metal you could switch out the bridge pickup.
Quote by steven seagull
You won't get good metal tones out of Alnico II magnets...if you want a set off good all-rounders with a fat, warm tone then go for a pair of Dimarzio Breeds.

for both neck and bridge?
lot of people dont dig the jbs, but i like to have one around for the admirable "flaws" if you will. just like other pickups such as super distortions, emgs, etc have these kind of characters that are nice to have. but if you cant afford to have all this around, you might want to go for something a bit more safe.
Quote by TehJermie
l you might want to go for something a bit more safe.

like?
No - the 59 is too low output for metal tones, unless you have a monster of an amp or know exactly what kind of tone you're looking for and know that the 59 will deliver it...which you don't. The Custom Custom would be a much better choice for the bridge, maybe even the regular Custom.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No - the 59 is too low output for metal tones, unless you have a monster of an amp or know exactly what kind of tone you're looking for and know that the 59 will deliver it...which you don't. The Custom Custom would be a much better choice for the bridge, maybe even the regular Custom.

ahh ok i see, thank you.

i guess this narrows it down to:

dimarzio breed / custom custom

dimarzio breed / dimarzio breed

alnico II / custom custom

anyone care to expand on what these would sound like and/or what i should go for? i think i could trust your opinion over than whats on the sites...

i appreciate all the advice so far

EDIT: i did some research and there turns out to be the custom SH-5 and SH-14. which one were you referring to?
Last edited by hooblatots at Oct 29, 2007,
i think the tonezones are a good choice
they have a nice dynamic range and are also pretty high output
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
SH-14 i think

custom custom and '59 would make a good combo, also the jazz will nail alot of his tones too (slash)

i personally think the breed/custom custom, might sound pretty cool
Quote by Chad11491

i personally think the breed/custom custom, might sound pretty cool

i might actually go with that... unless there are any objections?