I finally got to go down to Guitar Center today and I was able to try out a couple of amps.

I went down specifically to try out the AC30 and the Blues Junior. Though I found a couple others which I hadn't had the chance to play before.

First I had to find a proper guitar that was in tune, I picked up a really nice Ebony Epiphone Les Paul Standard and towards the end played a Standard telecaster. There were some other guitars but these were basically the ones i used with the amps.

Vox AC30
The first amp I tried was the AC30, the guitar and amp were all set up when I saw it so I just turned it on, however there was a lot of heat coming from the top front part of the amp near the controls. I know tube maps can get hot after lots of playing but it was just that one vent area.
I wasn't sure which controls did what, especially since the amp was under a shelf, but I managed to get some sound out. I think it was in top boost but I really have no idea, at the low volumes it was pretty good. I liked the cleans which were dark and the amp had a warmer tone to it (very British I suppose ). One of the top boost knobs got some overdrive and it sounded alright, but the amp started to act funny after that. I suppose i'll have to learn how to EQ an AC30 and use the controls for next time.
Oh and it was big, looked like a very nice amp. Though I question how this would sound in a bedroom lol.

Line 6 Spider Valve

Then to my surprise I found a bunch of those new all tube Line 6 Spider amps, after reading so much about it here I just had to try this one and get my own opinion.

Now keeping in mind I couldn't spend much time with it. So I just tried to mess around with the features a bit and get an idea of how the amp generally sounds. I had it set to the clean model and overall it sounded pretty good, even had some fun with the delay, the effects knobs and front were great and the amp seemed to be designed pretty well. I don't exactly remember but you could control presets with one knob, and one or two others controlled effects, I think the rest was basic EQ. However what others say about the "digitalness" seems to be a little true. I won't say it was bad or that the new Spider is like the SS Line 6 amp, but there seemed to be something missing. Meh maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. However all the effects and stuff just made it seem like my ad30vt. The natural warmth and tube quality didn't seem to be there, of course the Line 6 name and effects probably distracted me. ( Definitely if you ever see one give it a try, I can see why it would get mixed opinions, this is just from what I gathered in a short period of time. )

Fender Blues Junior
The third was the Fender Blues Junior, i'm sure most users here have played this one and i've tried it a couple times before. What I love about this amp is the simplicity and small size. Your basic EQ and on/off switch through a 12" speaker. With the master low and the volume turned up to around 9, I got some good classic rock OD at lower volumes. I was also able to get some smooth creamier OD tones with the volume about half way or so and the master still fairly low. The amp also has great cleans and it covered most of the styles I liked (which is basically classic rock lol ) Good cleans a nice overdrive and I didn't take the master past around half way in fear of getting in trouble. It should also be able to do small gigs if your drummer isn't too loud. So yea a great overall amp and a good price. I've said it before and i'll say it again nothing like a nice BJ at a good price.

Crate V32
At this point I was gonna go, but I found a Crate Palomino V32, so far most of the Crate Palomino's i've tried to plug into didn't work or I wasn't impressed, but this time I really sat down with it and the floor model was in good working condition. All I can say is wow, I couldn't mess with the EQ or the channels much cause they were hard to reach, but it didn't need any EQing. A nice warm clean tone, it wasn't Fendery but a lot more like the Vox which I liked. Each chord and note seemed to ring out slowly in bliss. I didn't have much time so I couldn't try to turn up the drive, but from the cleans and the light overdrive I left a satisfied guitar player. Even better is the price, a 30 watt tube like this for $500 is great and i'd recommend trying this if you ever see one. Slats is right, I can see why he jams on his kids amp.
I might just end up getting a Crate sometime...

So that about sums it up, of course I picked up some 12 strings and one of the sales guys who knew me, let me look at the wood grains on the Gibsons.

was a good trip, I know this isn't as detailed or well made as the other spam threads made by the GG&A greats like Gabel, but I managed to try out a couple amps that are mentioned on here and recommended alot so I though i'd post some opinions. Any questions or whatever just ask.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by zeppelinpage4

I know this isn't as detailed

seems pretty detailed to me
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
oh and i dont count this as spam, because i was wondering about a few of the amps you mentioned, very helpfull
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Thanks glad to see it helped, these amps are usually mentioned alot and I thought it would be cool, to give some opinions and maybe get some more opinions on them. SO anyone can take a look and see the reviews.

And the term SPAM basically just means talking about guitar gear here.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Nice.

I've tried the Spider Valve as well, and I was rather unimpressed. The cleans were nice, and the crunch was usable, but the metal settings left a lot to be desired. Like you said, there was just something missing, it's not like it was blatantly digital, but it just didn't sound right. I also played a Vox AD60VT (that's a high-end Valvetronix), and I liked it much better.
I like the review on the Fender Blues jr. I am getting that amp in a week or two, and so far ive only heard good things about it.
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Nice! I've been wanting to try one of the V series myself, they're the black ones correct?

The Crate?
I know there are black ones on the site, the V-series in the store was the white and gold one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v32-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487828
That one I think.

ac30 ftw!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
oh and i dont count this as spam, because i was wondering about a few of the amps you mentioned, very helpfull

Nah, spamming just means you don't have a useful thread for questions or stuff, just about reviews on stuff after you come back from the store.

I haven't gone in ages to the store.
Ben
nice spam!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i also tried an AC30 and a spider valve. The AC30 sound Dope-zilla, but the spider valve was really streile and not awesome
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
^ Not all of us have "generous" friends.